4.0 out of 5 stars trusted and reliable.
Published 22 months ago by pete

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK veggie book but there are far better out there
Rose Elliot is like the Delia of vegetarian cook books, so what I am about to say will be tantamount to sacrilege for some people. I didn't find many things here I desperately wanted to make, and when I did make some, I found the results a little bland and underflavoured.

Published 23 months ago by doublegone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars trusted and reliable., 21 Sep 2012
pete "big blue pete" (edinburgh scotland) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love cook books that are straightforward. I dont want any "lifestyle chat" about where the author was on holiday or their favourite market in which to buy antiques. Who Cares?!! Rose Elliot is a reliable trusted brand who has been around since the 70s. Such was the success of her sensible no-nonsense approach to vegetarian cooking, her books are never out of print. The latest rebrand has a slight retro but very practcial feel about it. A wipe clean hardback it is easy to stand upright or bend open when checking on step by step recipes. This is also useful as some of the recipes can be adapted into vegan and there are also tips on how to extend meals and use leftovers. The book retains many 70s favourites most commonly described as one pot dishes and also adds new ingredients from abroad which can now be commonly found on the high street. An excellent sesnible cookbook with enticing colour pictures throughout!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, reliable recipes from the veggie queen of cookbooks, 20 Sep 2012
Roland Cassard (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I first became vegetarian nearly 25 years ago, Rose Elliot's The Bean Book (Essential Vegetarian Collection Series) was my Bible. For many vegetarians Rose is an incredibly important cookery book writer: her books have been around from decades, long before other cooks decided that the occasional meat free, fish-free meal was possible or even preferable.

I have read some reviews where the reviewers were disappointed with the recipes, particularly that the recipes are sometimes overly simple or uninspired. I have to admit I didn't agree! I enjoyed the fact that these indeed are meals possible to create within half an hour without breaking a sweat. Jamie Oliver's Jamie's 30-Minute Meals: A Revolutionary Approach to Cooking Good Food Fast has recipes with more flair and flavour, but I struggled to complete one course in 30 minutes, much less a full meal!

I had always found Rose's other recipe books to need a little tweaking in terms of seasoning. I think she prefers the flavours of the ingredients to shine through and so doesn't use much salt or pepper. Plus her recipes are very healthy, so there is, I think, a concerted effort to use a minimal amount of salt. Certainly I found these recipes more palatable in terms of salt and fat than the recipes in, say, Delia's How to Cheat at Cooking by Delia Smith, which covers similar ground in its attempt to provide quick, easy meals.

Rose Elliot's Vegetarian Christmas is also a firm favourite in my house and this new collection will join the Christmas book and the Bean Book as well-thumbed cookbooks on my kitchen shelf. Now, if Madhur Jaffrey can hurry up and release Madhur Jaffrey's Curry Nation, I'll be incredibly happy!

4.0 out of 5 stars just what it says, 19 Aug 2013
H. Ash (Gt Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: 30-Minute Vegetarian (Hardcover)
Rose is a fab cook and my veggies guru - this book is lovely, good recipes and pictures. would recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Rose Elliot success, 12 May 2013
This review is from: 30-Minute Vegetarian (Hardcover)
Always a pleasure when a new Rose Elliott comes out. New ideas and recipes are always welcome in a vegetarian diet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rose comes up trumps again, 23 Aug 2012
purpleheart (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Rose Eliot is a bestseller for good reason. Some of my staples are from her previous books - for example her three bean and three pepper chilli is fabulous, and I always gets lots of compliments from vegetarians and carnivores alike when I cook it for them.

This book is organised into:
Soups and Starters
Snacks and Light Meals
Everyday Suppers
Food for Family and Friends
Salads and Sides
Sweet things

The draw of this book is that all the recipes can be made in 30 minutes - although Rose admits that she pushes it a bit with a few of the recipes. So far I have tried the chilled beetroot soup with horseradish cream, a salad of warm butternut squash with baby leaf spinach, red onion and pine nuts, Rendang Malaysian Vegetable and Coconut curry and the mediterranean strudel. All have been delicious and may well become part of my standard repertoire.

My only criticism is that there are not quite enough photos - I find it very useful to see what the dish will look like.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good ideas, under flavoured, 19 Sep 2012
Amazon Customer "Dinah93" (Cleveland,UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've tried several of the recipes, and I've come to the conclusion they're better as a guideline than a strict recipe. There are some really interesting ideas, but what strikes me is the almost complete lack of herbs and spices in many of the recipes. I cooked a few her way and found them quite bland, so have taken to throwing a bit of thyme or rosemary from the garden in where I see fit.

There is also a slight lack of proof reading, for example Egyptian Rice doesn't tell you how long to cook the lentils and onions (didn't matter, it was completely inedible anyway).

I like that every recipe has a picture, although would have liked to see nutritional information too.

I don't own another specifically vegetarian cookbook, and this one certainly got me thinking about more meat free meals, I will continue to try things from it, with my own little twists.

4.0 out of 5 stars 30 minutes away from yummy, 3 July 2014
Great book to have especially on my kindle as I can choose a recipe, buy the ingredients and I'm ready to cook. All recipes are easy to follow and imaginative. Even meat eaters my find some yummy dishes to cook.

5.0 out of 5 stars New Ideas, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: 30-Minute Vegetarian (Hardcover)
Wow, lots of fun although some take me a little longer as I do not always everything at hand, pleased I purchased it as I have now added to the family meal plan more interesting variations of old favourites

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK veggie book but there are far better out there, 20 Aug 2012
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

When her first vegetarian cook book came out in 1967 it was one of only two available nationwide. The scene today is somewhat different. So while this book is perfectly OK and a keen cook might add it to their shelf, it seems to me that if you were only going to buy a couple of veggie recipe books this would not be one of them.

In fact I would recommend two vegetarian books written by carnivores over Rose's latest effort. Alice Hart's Vegetarian and Hugh F-W's River Cottage Veg Every Day! (River Cottage Every Day) are brilliant books full of exciting tasty food. I think the recipes are far more useful than Rose Elliot's

Rose is without doubt better on the fundamental vegetarian stuff - warning you about calf rennet in cheese, the rarity of veggie parmesan (and therefore jars of pesto), problems with gelatine etc, but Alice and Hugh have more flavour. If you already know the basics of label-watching then their books will be more useful for you.

I like to make and rate a few things from a book separately to give you an idea of what is involved. First up I made Rose's lentil bolognaise from Page 82. Instead of the traditional minced beef and pork it uses tinned Puy lentils. It was OK, I would give it three stars but the flavour didn't really wow me, and a plate of spag bol should really be a treat I think. I found things could be improved a great deal with the addition of a little chilli and some lemon juice. But it shouldn't be up to me to save an expert's recipe surely?

Next I made the Tuscan Bean Soup on page 16 - essentially tinned canellini beans whizzed with onions and garlic. It was really nothing special. Three stars being generous. Not quite bad enough to be two.

Spinach Tagliatelle with Walnuts on page 141 was again alright but nothing special. Three stars. I found it difficult not to compare it to a sensational Walnut pasta recipe in Alice's book with mascarpone, chillie and thyme. Head and shoulders better than this.

There are lots of vegan recipes here and tips on how to convert the non-vegan ones to be so. Thumbs up for that. The book also scores by being nice and robust and with a wipeable cover to stand the rigors of the kitchen, but the recipes just fail to excite me.

I fear Rose's best days are behind her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Myself and my 6 year old are a big fan of these recipes!, 31 July 2014
This review is from: 30-Minute Vegetarian (Hardcover)
I love this book! Quick, easy & delicious. I have cooked more recipes from this book than any other cookbook that I've had sitting on my shelves.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

30-Minute Vegetarian
30-Minute Vegetarian by Rose Elliot (Hardcover - 5 July 2012)
13.60