5.0 out of 5 stars Her life in her own words
A surprisingly good read. I bought the book as a companion to Charles Moore's authorised biography and it's interesting to get Thatcher's own take on her life. You can hear her voice in every page. The book finishes in 1990 but then I suppose it was downhill for her after then anyway... I'd recommend this book to anyone who wants to understand what made the Iron Lady tick.
Published 23 months ago by MR ALEXANDER J OREILLY

2.0 out of 5 stars A miracle she won 3 elections
Published 9 months ago by Stephen Sharp

5.0 out of 5 stars Her life in her own words, 13 May 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Abridged, 27 April 2013
This is an abridged version of two books combined - 'The Downing Street Years' and 'The Path To Power'. - below is a quote that explains why it has been re-released in this way -

Martin Redfern, Editorial Director of HarperPress, said: "For the autobiography, we have condensed the memoirs down to some of the most fascinating times, and arranged it chronologically... It is a long time since they first appeared, and it was her wish that this book should come out following her death, that it would be a testament to her."

For me, this is a version of two books that has made the material far more appealing and accessible than it had been in its predeceasing volumes. I'm not a Thatcherite myself, nor am I anti-Thatcher, but having got involved in numerous discussions about her, since her death, so in the interests of gaining further insight, this somewhat more condensed version of events, found in this book, in her own words, has been great to read.

I can't draw a comparison between this and the original releases, as I don't know what has been omitted, however, at 700 pages, this was far less daunting a task than the 1,300+ paged alternatives would have been.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating insight into the Iron Lady, 26 April 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I would first like to say that I am not a fan of the late Margaret Thatcher, I disagreed with plenty of the things that she did during her time as prime minister. However, as someone with a keen interest in politics, I couldn't resist this book. Even if you didn't like her, this is a very interesting read.

'The Autobiography' is an abridged version of Margaret's two volumes of memoir, 'The Downing Street Years' (orginially published in 1993) and 'The Path To Power' (1995). I had already read the first book, so bought it primarily for the second one which focuses on her childhood and early years in politics before she became the UK's first female Prime Minister. Although I found it interesting, the second half is ultimately far superior and was worth reading for a second time.

I can see why Thatcher had decided to publish her books in reverse order. The public would definitely have been more interested in reading about her time at No.10 and for the publishers, it would have sold more copies. However, it is far better to have the story in order and for the reader to be able to follow Thatcher's life from birth to leaving Downing Street. The final chapters of the book make for very dramatic reading and finish the volume off to a satisfying end.

Despite it being abridged, all of the key moments, events, issues, exchanges and disagreements are all still included. For people wanting to have a first hand account of Thatcher's life - this must surely still be the definitive account. The whole book is very self serving (which is what you would probably expect anyway), but it is also very well written, frank and quite honest.

Whilst I would never had voted for Margaret Thatcher, I do respect the fact that she was a very intelligent woman, a great leader, public speaker and had the strength to carry out her convictions. Even though she's dead, love her or loathe her, Margaret Thatcher will be remembered (for both good and bad) forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good read, 8 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Path to Power (Paperback)
My expectations were that this would be much drier and more turgid than the eventful Downing Street Years. Actually it was very readable and interesting, touching on areas that are rarely discussed or understood, particularly the story behind the 2 1974 general elections and leadership challenge.

Thatcher then lists her fears and predictions for the coming years. This book was written in 1995 and her thoughts are disturbingly prescient. The rise of militant Islam, the fall of the Euro, the economic rise of the BRIC nations and much more.

Essential reading for anyone interested in post-war British politics

5.0 out of 5 stars "If you set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything at any time, and you would achieve nothing!", 4 Sept. 2014
Darth Maciek "Darth Maciek" (Darth Maciek is out there...) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is an important book for anybody willing to understand Margaret Thatcher and her achievements. I am quite glad that I bought and read it and I enjoyed it - with the exception of two chapters (see below) - even if some fragments needed some effort to get through. Also the size of this opus reminds of a diplodocus (sorry for that, I couldn't resist). I certainly learned a lot from it and when closing this book I was very impressed.

Before going further, for sake of full disclosure, yes, I am a right-winged conservative and therefore, even if I am not British (I am Polish) and never even lived in United Kingdom, I always greatly admired and respected Margaret Thatcher. Even more, I consider her, together with Ronald Reagan, as one of only two really admirable major political figures of western democracies in those last 50 years or so - in fact, the only really visionary, able and courageous statesmen ("hommes d'état") in the West since Churchill and Truman. I had to say it to make it clear that as far I am concerned this book was preaching to the choir - and therefore I am not entirely objective in my review...

As I already mentioned, I greatly enjoyed reading most of this book. The style is of course that of a political autobiography written relatively soon after leaving the office, therefore Margaret Thatcher had to use some restraint, both in what she could reveal and in the language used. Some basic knowledge of British politics and international problems in the 80s will greatly help in understanding and enjoying this book. Some reading between lines is also necessary here and there, especially in the whole chapter about Northern Ireland and fight against IRA and INLA terror - here it is quite obvious for me that author had to leave A LOT of things unsaid...

The dry, low-key, first-person narrated and quite frequently sarcastic writing style takes a moment to get used to, but once we catch the rhythm, it actually has its charm. I think also that, British reserve notwithstanding, Margaret Thatcher bared a lot of her soul here - and this allows us to understand her better.

Particularly strong moments of the book concern the electoral campaigns in 1983 and 1987, great miners' strike, Falkland War and relations with Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev. Being Polish I also liked a lot the four pages description of the official visit Margaret Thatcher made in Poland in 1988, when my country was still under the boot of a communist dictatorship. A particularly good and poignant moment was the description of the last - and ultimately lost - fight Margaret Thatcher had to wage against her own party.

The two chapters with which I had a problem, were "A little local difficulty" (about poll tax fight) and "Floaters and fixers" (about monetary policy). In the case of the former, I found the narration of this story very disappointing, as Margaret Thatcher clung stubbornly to her position - when even for her great admirer and rabid conservative (and proud of it) like me it was clear from the beginning, that this thing was unfair, morally wrong and politically suicidal. Margaret Thatcher was extremely stubborn in her fights and I believe she was right to be so in all of them - except that one... Well, "quem Deus veult perdere, dementat prius" and in this case, the great mind of this exceptional woman was, for once, evidently clouded by what one has to call a form of madness - and clearly this condition remained with her even long after the whole thing was over... Well, I guess after all she was a human being like the rest of us - all evidence to the contrary notwithstanding...

The reason why I didn't enjoy the chapter about monetary policy is more personal, very subjective and a little bit embarrassing for me... Maybe it is because I am the child of an economist and married to another one (the reason why my wife manages our finances), but, well, for me large parts of economical science always were and still are a completely hermetic mystery and therefore I couldn't understand one darn word from "Floaters and fixers" - so I ultimately gave up and skipped it. Shame on me...

Although a huge admirer of this exceptional woman, I found myself disagreeing a couple of times with Margaret Thatcher positions - especially about the vision of European construction. Of course, coming from Poland, a smaller and poorer country than United Kingdom, I am naturally more inclined to see the virtues of a stronger and more tightly linked European Union. However, already in the 80s it was clear that even mighty and wealthy Great Britain couldn't maintain its rank in a world in which existed such economic mega-powers like USA and Japan and in which future giants, like China, India, Brazil, Pakistan, Indonesia, Mexico and Nigeria were already rising. Ultimately, a 63 million people country simply CANNOT compete with 150-200 million people nations - not even talking about behemoths like China or India... For me, even in the 80s it was already clear that if Europe wants to remain wealthy and mighty, it will achieve it only by uniting - not by scattering... Being myself something of a Polish nationalist I am not exactly in love with the idea of an European confederation (and even less a federation) - but reason tells me that sometimes "everything must be changed so everything remains the same"... It will always surprise me no end that with such a great mind Margaret Thatcher couldn't overpower with reason the veto of her heart...

Those reserves notwithstanding I really loved this book and I found myself in agreement with Margaret Thatcher over most of things - and I am really darn glad that she won so many of her battles, that she transformed United Kingdom from the "sick man of Europe" into one of economic powerhouses of our continent and above anything else that for eleven years with her mighty voice she said loud and clear so many blunt, uncomfortable truths, which lesser men and women took great pains to hide, by sheer cowardice... She was a great lady, a great Prime Minister and her achievements were immense - and for all those reasons her memories are really, REALLY, worth reading. ENJOY!

2.0 out of 5 stars A miracle she won 3 elections, 18 July 2014
This review is from: The Path to Power (Paperback)
She admits causing the winter of discontent by preaching free collective bargaining in 1978. Margaret admits to no boyfriends before Denis. Jonathan Aitken's book 'Power and Personality' shows this was not so. She asks the reader to believe she did not know what a 2 finger gesture meant. The last part of the book sheds no light on what happened to her after she left No 10. She thought single women got pregnant so they would be housed by the council. She would not debate with the PM in the 1979 campaign because she was afraid she might make a mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 4 Jun. 2014
A fascinating insight in to what happened at the start of Margaret Thatcher's life up until approximately the middle of the 1990's. Includes the Falklands and when she was ousted out as Prime Minister and Party Leader. She tells you what she thinks of people and gives her side of the stories too.

I recommend this 10 CD set for people interested in finding out more about the Thatcher years.

4.0 out of 5 stars MT : In the Final Analysis - More Inspired than Inspiring, 6 Oct. 2013
This book is the abridged version of "The Path to Power" published in 1995 and "The Downing Street Years" published in 1993. It is nonetheless 738 pages of text in the paperback version with additionally a Chronlogical Index and a List of Abbreviations, both of which I found really useful.

By her own account Margaret Thatcher was a "Hands-on" Prime Minister, quite unlike say, François Mitterrand ! There was practically not a detail that escaped her personal attention from the Public Spending Borrowing Requirement to the need to ship out adequate spare parts for the Challenger Tank right away in 1990 for the 1st. Gulf War. (Apparently these tanks were known as much for their unreliability as for their maneovrability !) Indeed throughout the book which is effectively a blow by blow account of her life in parliament with relatively little addressed to her early childhood or time at Somerville College, Oxford, her competent grasp of detail in so many domaines of government is quite astonishing. However she is remembered most for her vision of Britain as a country where in a framework of law and order individual effort and enterprise should be rewarded and the socialist vision of a corporatist state should be gradually abandonned.

While - after Wilson and Callaghan - these views appealed to a broad electorate, the actual business of making progress towards realising these aims brought about bruising incidents where a clash of personalities occurred. Perhaps her first clash was with Edward Heath who sensibly would not serve under her in 1979, but subsequently many of her hand-picked cabinet ministers found life uncomfortable under her premiership : Peter Carrington, John Nott, Michael Heseltine, Nigel Lawson, Geoffrey Howe, David Young, and Chris Patten to name but the most prominent. Some did resign on principle rather than from pique but the constant reshuffling is testimony to Margaret's inability to flatter and enthuse her ministers so that they performed as she required without her constant interference.

Unfortunately, in addition to these personality clashes, over the eleven years she was in office she also managed to alienate her electorate at large. Her handling of the miners' strike, Scargill and the TUC was generally seen in a positive light, but her reversal of Labour's education policies did not please everyone (particularly in the Dept. of Education), and the tide turned against her with the introduction of the Poll Tax that had to be ultimately dismantled under Major.

I quote two passages, practically at random, which underscore the abrasive nature of Margaret's stance, and explain in part why she became a figure to be rejected and reviled.
Page 586. Socialism had failed. And it was the poorer, weaker members of society who had suffered worst as a result of that failure. More than that, socialism ....had literally demoralized communities and families, offering dependency in place of independence as well as subjecting traditional values to sustained derision.
Page 614. By contrast, Council housing is the worst source of immobility. Many large council estates bring together people who are out of work but enjoy security of tenure at subsidized rates. They not only have every incentive to stay where they are : they mutually reinforce each other's passivity and undermine each other's initiative. Thus a culture grows up in which the unemployed are content to remain living mainly on the state with little will to move and find work.

All this is a great pity because I happen to believe this parliamentary autobiographer had the right ideas, but that she was too contentious, too uncompromising in their application. In a way you might say her best qualities contibuted to her undoing. Be that as it may, her book makes for fascinating reading, with only a very few truly dull passages for the general reader.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 May 2013
A brilliant insightful well-written account of the Great Lady's progressively revolutionary time in power. Good value book. R.I.P. Mrs Thatcher

3.0 out of 5 stars Thatcher: The Early Years, 2 May 2009
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Path to Power (Paperback)
I am by no means a supporter of Margaret Thatcher, but as someone with a keen interest in politics, how could I ignore her? She was a political giant and a remarkable woman. 'The Path to Power' was published in 1995, after her first, and far superior volume of memoir: 'The Downing Street Years', which covered her time as prime minister of no.10.

In 'The Path to Power', Thatcher reflects on the early years of her life, including her seemingly wonderful childhood in Grantham, the daughter of a grocer who was also a former mayor for the town, and how these days influenced her political career. She moves onto her years at college, her days as a chemist and then as a lawyer, and then later her role in politics up to her election as Prime Minister. She also explains to a good degree, the formation of the principles that became Thatcherism.

'The Path to Power' wasn't a bad read really, but it's heavy, a long book (like it's predecessor but nowhere near as interesting), and really only one of the devoted Thatcher fan most likely. Illustrated with vintage black and white photographs, including a nice one of her and Denis on their wedding day.

The Path to Power
The Path to Power by Margaret Thatcher (Paperback - 5 Jan. 2012)