1,043 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so dull
Yes, many of the other reviewers are right. As I read this the first time, I was frustrated. It didn't really follow some of my fav characters, as they appear in book 5 (A Dance With Dragons). And even the first 2/3 of ADWD follow the same template as this one, there's much more talk and much less action than in the previous titles. Many characters travel long roads and...
Published on 11 April 2012 by AGGESWE

2.0 out of 5 stars ...my kingdom for an editor
well you kinda knew it had to happen sooner or later. it took robert jordan 6 books before it all started to fall apart so i guess george is about on track. i'm coming to the conclusion that you can only write so many pages on one project before it starts to eat itself.
the author sums it up in the first line of his aknowledgements...to start with the good bits: the...
Published on 22 Nov 2005 by lazynine

‹ Previous | 171 72 73105 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 28 Dec 2012
fantastic, great, brilliant, marvelous, great plot totaly emersive, One of the best series of books I have read in ages

5.0 out of 5 stars No heroes, 30 Nov 2012
Getting into the swing of it in the second book in the series I relished the achievement that relegates Lord of the Rings and other fantasies to another plane, these characters are real. In so many other books the heroes are good and the villains are bad. Here everyone is flawed and the villains are not without virtue or reason. Back story, there is always back story to make sense of who does what and why. I was suprised time and again as my sympathies were swayed. Masterful.

2.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Fail, 6 Nov 2012
I have read the first three books in succession and eagerly anticipated what was to come in a feast for crows. I imagined to read about Bran beyond the wall, Jon Snow as Lord Commander, Danny settling in her new city and training her dragons etc. However, after glimpsing through the content, with names such as Brienne being included and the main characters we were accustomed to being left out, I knew this book was going to be hard to get through. And indeed it was.

The plot unravels so slowly, following Brienne on her journey is unbearable and puts you to sleep, Sansa's character seem's to be going nowhere and is ever more frustrating to follow, the introduction of the Martells was sloppy and Samwell is just a waste of writing. He deserves two chapters not several.

The first three books left you at the edge of your seat page after page, this book leaves you at the edge of your seat after every 15 chapters. Some chapters are so pointless. I understand that Martin is trying to give an overview of all the characters, but it wasn't enough to engage my full attention to this disappointing book. At times I found myself skimming through chapters as they were so pointless. I would have given this book 1 star, but the only positive outcome was the POV from Cersei. This is because we gained an insight to how she thinks and why she is the way she is.

The most frustrating thing was to follow Briene the horse on her journey 'plopping' around here and there and only to find she dies and goes nowhere. The Dornish go no where with the most depressing chapters which are unbearable to read, no word from Bran, still no word from Rickon etc. I understand a dance with dragons will show our beloved characters POV, but will be simultaneous to the beginning of this book. Therefore, I believe this book to be a big waste of time. Could have left Brienne out and Samwell, and included the others along with Cersei.

Overall, a rubbish read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read if you stick with it, 16 Oct 2012
Having enjoyed all the previous books I had to get this one to see what happened next. I was a bit concerned about some of the reviews and thought I would be disappointed.

In truth at first I just could not get into it. There are a few new characters and different points of view some of which I didn't really care about to begin with. Once I started it it sat on the shelf for a few months, but remembering how much I enjoyed the other books I started again once I got past the first few chapters I was totally engrossed again!

The good - you get to explore some different characters points of view and Martin is excellent at crafting characters.

The bad - some of the characters seem to have chapters were they are wounding around a bit pointlessly and that got on my nerves

Overall still an excellent gripping read, if you find you don't get into it straight away stick with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Feast for Crows (Ice and Fire 4) - George R.R. Martin, 7 Sep 2012
Review: It's difficult to review these books without giving any spoilers away but I think that all I really need say is that they continue to impress and that if you liked the previous ones you will like this one too. I think it does suffer slightly from introducing some new characters and leaving out some old ones (whose stories are to be told in A Dance With Dragons) and there is also a slightly stagnant feel because nothing much really happens (in comparison with previous books in the series, not in comparison with books in general!) but these are only very minor problems. Overall, I continue to love the series and now just have the gigantic A Dance with Dragons left.

Favourite character: Jaime Lannister

Favourite quote: "I am tempted to say this is no game we play, daughter, but of course it is. The game of thrones".

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling reading, 18 Aug 2012
This book is one of a series of 7, I am at the moment halfway through book 6. They have been written not as a continuation series, but in some cases run alongside other volumes in the series. The stories are a mix of wizards, knights, magic and dragons all blended into the main plot. I seriously suggest, that the video 'Game of Thrones' is watched prior to reading as it puts all the characters in the mind. If days of old and fantasy are your bag, you will enjoy these.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great disappointment..., 26 July 2012
The worst of the 5 books, not worth the money or time. Skip straight to book 5 and you would not have missed much. I don't usually write reviews or read them for that matter, but after slugging (maybe too kind a word) through this book, I thought that even if it saves one person from the disappointment I felt it would have been worth it!
Two star as I'm a fan of George but not for the book...

2.0 out of 5 stars Anti Climax, 14 July 2012
Mr. G. Warner (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm about 250 pages into this installment and I am finding it hard work.

Its just not as interesting and grippig as the previous books. I think the problem is all the good characters have been killed off or removed from the story somehow and the ones left are boring. In the previous books I couldnt wait to continue certain threads of the story. Now it feels like I'm just trying getting through them hoping that something exciting will happen.

Lets hope the next 250 pages are better than the first 250.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brief respite in the emotional roller coaster that is ASOIAF!, 10 Jun 2012
The pace slows down a little in A Feast For Crows and it's a good thing too, after the intensity of A Storm Of Swords.

The emotional roller coaster that is A Song Of Ice And Fire has not stopped altogether mind you, this is clearly the incline before another stomach wrenching drop.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Feast of Crows - ????, 22 May 2012
Read the disclaimer (or explanation as Mr Martin likes to call it) at the rear of the book. Otherwise you may throw the book at a wall, as I nearly did, when you start to think that you have missed a book somewhere along the line! A little slow and occasionally a bit turgid, but persevere, I'm sure it will all be worth it in the end.

One really minor niggle - I'm rolling along with the story quite nicely when........ I'm confronted by a quite awful "gotten"! Which jars, somewhat, with the "medieval" feel of the world being created and reminds us that we are reading a modern American novel. Begot, begat, got, anything but GOTTEN!

‹ Previous | 171 72 73105 | Next ›

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4) by George R. R. Martin (Hardcover - 24 Nov 2011)
Used & New from: £125.00