5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, Helpful and Full of Common Sense
Published 23 months ago by TC

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed
I didn't want to be, but I was disappointed.

I'd listened to a review on BBC R4 and Steve came over as, well, nice but a bit idealistic. So what about the book?

Well, it's nice, but only realistic as far as a balanced, fairly well-to-do, grounded family goes.

So why did I buy it?

Well, I really agreed with him about the way that...
Published 22 months ago by Questing Moon

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, Helpful and Full of Common Sense, 18 Jan 2013
This review is from: Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls (Paperback)
I liked this book very much. As the mother of two girls I found it very thought provoking about the specific needs of girls at each stage as they grow to maturity in the twenty-first century. I agree with the author that girls as young as ten years of age are expected to look and act as if they are much older - very much to their detriment. I hope this book is widely read so that more young girls are supported by their mothers (and fathers) to resist this early sexualisation which may have negative consequences for their physical and mental health. Steve Biddulph writes in a clear accessible way and supports his ideas with stories about real people and real situations. This is the kind of book which could be used as a handbook to be re-read as your daughter grows and develops from infancy to adulthood.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential down to earth well researched advice, 20 Sep 2013
Jo Bennie (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls (Paperback)
If you are a parent to a girl of any age this is one of the best books I have ever read. My daughter is 9 nearly 10 and beginning to face the power of peer pressure to be whatever society means by being a girl which to my insinct has always been too much too young. Biddulph sees exactly the same trend and he renewed my hope in this book that I can raise a strong young woman who knows her own mind and does not believe what the media say she should be.

The book is divided into three parts

The first covers the five stages of girlhood: an overview, birth-2 years, 2-5 years, 5-10 years, 10-14 years and 14-18 years. In each chapter he covers the physcial, psychological and developmental changes a girl is undergoing at these ages and the challenges they face. And for girls it is social challenges that are of the most vital importance. It doesn't matter if, like me, you are coming in at some point along the spectrum, I found it useful to read the earlier chapters and understand what challenges my girl had already faced.

Part two is about risk areas and how to help girls navigate them: sexualisation at too early an age, bullying, body image and food, drugs including alcohol, and online risks. Biddulph lays out the risk in a clear concise way and empowers parents to address them.

Part three is about girls and their parents, taking a clear eyed look at the nature of a girl's relationship with her mother and father and what we can do as parents in these roles.

Just brilliant, one of the few library books that I will be buying and reading over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, 18 Jan 2013
Every parent or future parent should read this. It just reminds us of what we already know, but many of us have either forgotten it or have convinced ourselves it is not so. Wish i had read this before having any children. Enjoy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was recommended me by a friend, 12 July 2014
This book was recommended me by a friend. Ive two girls (8 and 5) and started to have trouble to understand my 8 year old. Her behaviour was changing and I wanted to understand way and how I could guide her. Instead of having to argue with her. And this book has made see and understand things much better. Made me see which things I done right and the things I done differently how I can deal with them now. And the relationship with my 8 year old has changed already (about 2 months down the line) and how she deals with things are changing too, all for the best. I will be reading parts of the book again over the years to come.
It been written in a very understandable manner, its feels like reading a easy quick read. Not like if you reading a study book , which I really liked

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical for the author, with lots of common sense advice and an excellent guide for parents with daughters, 10 Nov 2014
AK (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The author has amassed quite a collection of books he (co-)wrote on various relationship related topics, be it parenthood (whether gender related or not) or general partnership topics. What certainly attracts a wide readership is the combination of advice from the author's own therapy related experience, together with a relatively well explained scientific back-up, with some common sense thrown in, in a sense not dissimilar to the cocktail served up by Jesper Juul.

Given that there have been some pretty dramatic changes to the way families operate over the last 50 years or so, with related effects on general child rearing, his books on raising boys - and in this case girls - are quite timely. He introduces the reader to the different stages in the girls' growing up process and which facets need to be taken care of especially in each one of them. This is complemented by dangers one needs to be aware of and occasional guest chapters by specialists from specific sub-fields the author introduces.

I can imagine that most things confirm the common sense many parents have, and nothing came across as implausible or in some way ideology driven. Still, the book summarizes the points well enough and warns of the myriad of dangers today's girls face when growing up. The advice is certainly not of the 'line of least resistance' kind and the parent willing to follow it will need to invest both time and effort (and make the odd sacrifice) in order to do it right.

In any case, I can only recommend it to both current parents, as well as others, who need to play an important role in children's lives (from other relatives such as grandparents, aunts and uncles, to family friends who are great sources of alternative perspectives to children and adolescents). Even if you may find yourself thinking you knew much of the advice given, I believe that small improvements possible to the parenting skills of almost everyone after reading this book more than compensate for the price asked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very informative!!, 3 July 2013
This review is from: Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls (Paperback)
Worth every penny. Really clear information that makes a lot of sense. This will really help prepare my daughter for the big scary world!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not yet finished it but finding it very interesting, 24 Mar 2013
Ms. Jane Knight "Free Spirit" (Shropshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls (Paperback)
My daughters are in their thirties. I wish I'd had this book available when they were growing up. Lots of great practical advice that doesn't send you on a guilt trip for 'not being perfect'.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read!, 19 April 2014
Excellent book that addresses certain issues I had never really took the time to think about before. I highly recommend this to any parent or parent to be who are raising girls.

4.0 out of 5 stars A really good book for parents of children 10 and upwards., 12 Mar 2013
S. O'connell - See all my reviews
Wish I had read it then, but lots of useful guidance for me with a 16 yr old. ~This in conjunction with the resilient teenager has helped a lot

5.0 out of 5 stars Raising Girls, 11 Mar 2013
S. Martin - See all my reviews
This review is from: Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls (Paperback)
This is a really useful book. It is an eye- opener to the pressures that girls are under in these modern times. Childhood is virtually non-existent to them and this book is a valuable handbook for parents/grand-parents. Well worth buying!

Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls
Steve Biddulph's Raising Girls by Steve Biddulph (Paperback - 17 Jan 2013)