Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 January 2013
I liked this book very much. As the mother of two girls I found it very thought provoking about the specific needs of girls at each stage as they grow to maturity in the twenty-first century. I agree with the author that girls as young as ten years of age are expected to look and act as if they are much older - very much to their detriment. I hope this book is widely read so that more young girls are supported by their mothers (and fathers) to resist this early sexualisation which may have negative consequences for their physical and mental health. Steve Biddulph writes in a clear accessible way and supports his ideas with stories about real people and real situations. This is the kind of book which could be used as a handbook to be re-read as your daughter grows and develops from infancy to adulthood.
VINE VOICEon 20 September 2013
If you are a parent to a girl of any age this is one of the best books I have ever read. My daughter is 9 nearly 10 and beginning to face the power of peer pressure to be whatever society means by being a girl which to my insinct has always been too much too young. Biddulph sees exactly the same trend and he renewed my hope in this book that I can raise a strong young woman who knows her own mind and does not believe what the media say she should be.

The book is divided into three parts

The first covers the five stages of girlhood: an overview, birth-2 years, 2-5 years, 5-10 years, 10-14 years and 14-18 years. In each chapter he covers the physcial, psychological and developmental changes a girl is undergoing at these ages and the challenges they face. And for girls it is social challenges that are of the most vital importance. It doesn't matter if, like me, you are coming in at some point along the spectrum, I found it useful to read the earlier chapters and understand what challenges my girl had already faced.

Part two is about risk areas and how to help girls navigate them: sexualisation at too early an age, bullying, body image and food, drugs including alcohol, and online risks. Biddulph lays out the risk in a clear concise way and empowers parents to address them.

Part three is about girls and their parents, taking a clear eyed look at the nature of a girl's relationship with her mother and father and what we can do as parents in these roles.

Just brilliant, one of the few library books that I will be buying and reading over and over again.
on 18 January 2013
Every parent or future parent should read this. It just reminds us of what we already know, but many of us have either forgotten it or have convinced ourselves it is not so. Wish i had read this before having any children. Enjoy :)
on 3 July 2013
Worth every penny. Really clear information that makes a lot of sense. This will really help prepare my daughter for the big scary world!
on 24 March 2013
My daughters are in their thirties. I wish I'd had this book available when they were growing up. Lots of great practical advice that doesn't send you on a guilt trip for 'not being perfect'.
on 19 April 2014
Excellent book that addresses certain issues I had never really took the time to think about before. I highly recommend this to any parent or parent to be who are raising girls.
on 11 March 2013
This is a really useful book. It is an eye- opener to the pressures that girls are under in these modern times. Childhood is virtually non-existent to them and this book is a valuable handbook for parents/grand-parents. Well worth buying!
on 2 January 2016
Common sense content which is always good read; keep your children very close to you, don't let others educate them - be critical about schools and anything compulsory, be the most important thing in your child's life as they are the most important thing in your life.
on 9 September 2015
A very useful guide to raising girls in today's technological world. I especially liked the focus on the positive things girls need to learn at each stage of life and the ways you can help them do that. A book I will be referring to again as my girls grow.
on 29 April 2016
This book should be given out with the 'Pamper's Pack' at the hospital when you give birth. If you don't want your daughter to grow up aspiring to be a pouting, vacuous, selfie-obsessed narcissist then you'd better read this.