4.8 out of 5 stars1,522
Format: HardcoverChange

Having enjoyed Gangster Granny and Billionaire Boy, my eight year old boy and I decided to try Demon Dentist. To be honest we stopped reading about halfway through. It gave him bad dreams. If your child is not a fan of dentists, this book certainly isn't going to help. In one scene Alfie is strapped down in the dentist chair and wakes up to find all of his teeth have been forcibly removed. Now that's nightmare material for me and I'm thirty-nine. Finding out that your Dentist is actually a witch with hollow black eyes, that hides under your bed and leaves eyeballs under your pillow was frankly too much for my eight year old. Ultimately you all know your own children. If your child is likely to be disturbed by either of the things I've mentioned, I'd give this one a fairly wide berth. If you think your child is a little more stoic (we have read all of the How to Train Your Dragon books without a single bad dream) then they may well thoroughly enjoy this. It's got all the standard Walliams hallmarks and Raj - the popular newsagent - has a starring role.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Quite understandably, David Walliams is the number one bestselling children's author in the United Kingdom. He has been hailed as the heir to Roald Dahl, but for my money he leaves Dahl in the dust.

While I have always appreciated and admired Dahl's books, there is an astringent and slightly nasty undercurrent in some of the books that just leaves me a little bit off, even as I'm enjoying them. I have no problem with the books being unsentimental, dark and a bit macabre, but there's often a hint of contempt or thinly veiled anger that just doesn't quite fit in with everything else. That said, I'll take Dahl over antiseptic cutesy any day.

And that's where Walliams comes in. Just as macabre and grotesque, just as committed to portraying the triumph of the good, young and kind over the old, greedy, and wicked, a Walliams book is sustained by the cheerful, fundamental goodness of his young characters. Just as was the case with Dahl, the stock setup involves adult villains who mistreat children, at least one good adult to help the child heroes, a few completely ineffective adults, and then child heroes who persevere and save the day. The plots are bizarre and extreme, the villainy is outrageously exaggerated, the violence is cartoonishly grotesque, and anything that happens happens to excess. There is child-sized nastiness, farting, tooth-pulling, and icky grossness.

But, Walliams mixes in sweetness, (hero Alfie and his Dad share scenes of heartbreaking tenderness), and a good deal of remarkably restrained deadpan humor. So, manic chase scenes are still loaded with dead funny and crisp throwaway lines and observations. The conversations between Alfie and his compatriot friendgirl Gabz are gems of finely crafted timing and emphasis. Certain set scenes, (Alfie's being comforted by the friendly newsagent Raj after his first dentist visit), are perfectly paced and balanced.

All of this is brilliantly served by the illustrations of Tony Ross, who complements Walliams in the same fashion that Quentin Blake elevated Dahl's work. Ross's drawings capture the moment and advance the story without at all cluttering the text or slowing the narrative, and they fit exactly with the reader's own mental pictures of the characters.

So, whether you call the books clever or funny or zany, or even darkly comic or macabre, they are so well conceived and well executed, and feature such winning child heroes, that you owe it to your child reader to try one on. (Although if you aren't quite sure where your child falls on the ick-tolerance scale you might consider a book like "Ratburger"before this one, which does have a lot of scary demon dentist stuff in it. "Ratburger" just has, well, ratburgers.)

Please note that these books are finally coming up for sale in the U.S., (at least as Kindle books), but I received a free advance ecopy of this particular book in exchange for a candid review. Apart from that I have no connection at all to either the author or the publisher of this book.
on 12 July 2015
I find David Walliams' writing quite mean and sometimes veering into cruel territory. I hated the bit about teeth being crushed to dust and the horrible dentist woman was a nasty character. Roald Dahl, who he obviously models himself on, was horrible (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was awful in parts!) but always understandable from a child's perspective. Horrible things happened to the characters but they kind of deserved it, or it made sense (if sometimes somewhat brutal sense) in the story. I find DW metes out punishments and nastiness for their own sake. I read a lot and read lots of different books with my son, and I really didn't enjoy this one at all!
on 20 November 2013
It's quite hard getting my daughter to read anything that she isn't forced by her school to read - so when she buried her head in The Demon Dentist I knew it must be pretty good.

I don't know what it is about David Walliams - maybe it's a puerile, childish sense of humour (which I mean as a compliment, in this case!) - but he seems uniquely able to communicate with children on a level they either understand or to which they can at least relate.

Personally, I'm not a fan of his humour - I think I must have been the only person in the country not to find Little Britain even mildly amusing (though I did rather like his recent school-based sitcom which co-starred Catherine Tate) - but anyone who can inspire children to read is all right by me.

The beauty of his books is that he can take the most unassuming characters, professions and situations and transport them into a bizarrely infectious set of circumstances. He did it with Gangsta Granny and Billionaire Boy - both of which my son, who, unlike his sister, is a voracious reader, adored - and he appears to have done it again with The Demon Dentist.

David Walliams may not always be welcome on my television screen, but he's welcomed with open arms onto our bookshelves. An undisputed five stars - if only for inspiring my daughter to put books on her Christmas list for the first time ever.
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2013
Short little book featuring 12 year old Alfie who lives alone with, and is sole carer for his wheelchair confined Dad after his mother died in childbirth. Alfie loves his dad who affectionately calls him 'Pup'.

Alfie hasn't been to the dentist since he was six with the toothache. And I cant blame him considering the ancient dentist diagnosed a rotton tooth, tied dental floss around dental nurse Mrs Prigg waist, the other end on forceps attached to his poor tooth .. and then .. jump out of the window !

I liked the style, I liked the introduction to all the charactors at the start, inparticular Mr. Grey the timid headmaster ( I wondered what inspired this choice of name). And of course texting boy, the boy that 's always texting.

And I liked the warnings of made up words like ' yankers' the human chain trying to yank out the tooth. I loved the relationship with Alfie and his dad and there 'multi coloured world of make believe'.

Has a sinister Dentist the children have to call Mummy, and a curios chaptor 38 called 'Mummus going to eat you'. The book is written in a comical way and this does make the scary bits easier but I would not really recommend for younger children. 9+
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2013
'Demon Dentist' is an amazingly fantastic book. The main plot is about a boy called Alfie and his friend Gabz, who try to defeat the tooth witch. She takes teeth but leaves things so horrible they are unmentionable... This novel is told in the third person. 'Demon Dentist' is funny, scary, and at the end a little sad. There are quite a log of made up words e.g. yankers. Read it if you dare! Oh yes, one more thing: BE PREPARED TO LAUGHT YOUR HEAD OFF!
on 7 September 2015
This is one of the most funniest books that I've ever read. The rest of the other hilarious books that I've read is the rest of the David Walliams books. This book has a really good storyline that no other books that I've read have even come close to this fabulous storyline, I love this book!

I think all the characters are really unique and different. They all have really different personalitys and that's one of the key features of writing a children's book. All if the characters are different and interesting, so it would be very hard to decide who would be my favourite character. If I think very hard…I can think of the top 5…The top 4…Now the top 3…My 2 favourites…AND MY FAVOURITE!! My favourite is Alfie. I like him because he's got a strong mind and once he's made up his mind…He's made up his mind!!! He has a caring nature towards his father and loves him.

My favourite settingis the 'Demon Dentist's' tooth palace where everything's made out of teeth. I like this setting because it's really imaginative and so much happens there.

Thanks so much David for writing this book. I really enjoyed it!!!! I highly recomend it.
on 15 October 2013
Would you like to have a dentist that is literally white from top to bottom? Have a read about Alfie's life then you will know what it's like...

Alfie has a sort of normal life....although his dad cannot breathe properly, there is a new dentist in town and things are about to get strange...

Alfie and his `girlfriend' Gabz discover that instead of a shiny coin, the children in the town find, much to their surprise, gruesome gifts like a badger's paw, a snail, hundred of tiny little bugs crawling all over the poor children's bed.

How would you feel if this happened to you? This amazing novel by the fantabulous David Walliams will make you sneeze with laughter!!!

It is packed full of action, humour and lots of suspense. The book has lots of brilliant pictures, illustrated by Tony Ross, and has not so many words on a page so it is good for young readers and is very easy to read.

I hope if you do read this brilliant book you will love it just as I did!!

I gave it a........5 star rating!!!!!!

on 12 February 2015
My twelve year old son is working his way through all of Walliams books; it makes such a pleasant change from Minecraft and YouTube! A friend bought him Gangsta Granny as a gift for Christmas and he has since read another three and asked me to order the ones that he has not already got! It’s been a while since I have seen him excited waiting for a delivery, the last time was Harry Potter! He wasn't even this enthusiastic about Diary of a Wimpy Kid and he ploughed through those!

It makes me so happy when I see that I have been able to share my own love of books with my children. If you are trying to get your kids to read more then these books are certainly worth trying, both of my children have loved them. The illustrations are fantastic and really suit the books writing style. A comparison and similarity has to be drawn to Dahl as Walliams seems to have that same understanding of children versus adults, like Dahl the children are usually way more clever that the grown-ups!

It is a place no one