on 6 October 2009
This bible is a great size and colour.

Finally they have begun designing and selling these good looking Bibles. Thank you Amazon.co.uk for supplying these that are from the USA.

The ESV translation is fantastic, accurate clear and easy to read. The maps in this bible are very good and the concordance is brilliant. The print is good and clear - though the pages are quite thin and delicate. The Bible comes with a link for an online download of some software. The download went well and the free software is brilliant.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 January 2013
Review for chestnut Collins ESV bible. (just in case amazon throw it in the wrong esv section.)

My bible reviews get to the point I will always state the weird facts that I always wish were available when buying bibles online.

Type size is very good. About the size of a paperback novel (not the newest ones which seem to have huge fonts.) About the size of the second smallest font size on the kindle. Completely readable. Compared to crossway's compact size (tiny) is much better and suited for longer periods of reading.
There is very little bleed through and the pages are not scarily white (for those of us with irlens the contrast is still a bit in your face but not as bad as som intense black on white)

Two colum format (which I've returned to. It's a bible thing-lets me know I'm reading something special)Also a plus if your a reader who can take in a line at a time.

Cover is more brown than red it's a warm brown very elegant but not as bright burgundy as my screen shows (yours may differ.)

Book is about the size of two dvd cases. Not compact but thinner than the compact ones and still a very transportabl and comfy size.

Cover smells like a carpet shop (that's a bonus lol)

Cover feels wonderful and looks really good quality (I'm actually surprised at how nice it is.)
Cover is stiff and not floppy so when flicking through pages you wouldn't hold the back cover but it still flicks through really well.
Gilt edges were not stuck together and they are subtle not super glowing.
As with every bible I ever buy, the first page was slightly creased.
No award or name page (not a problem for me but some may need to know.)
Basic concordance
No note pages
Margins are about 2mm at sides and 1 cm top and bottom. Very few places to sqeeze in writing but you can highlight or footnote with a tiny tipped pen. At this price highlighting and underlining seems permissable.
Collins claim it should last years of regular use.

No Ribbon!!!! At first this threw me but you know what? ribbons fray and crease the pages. I'll get to use a pretty marker.

Really excellent choice for a daily reading text only ESV bible.
on 30 April 2011
Having seen a friend using an ESV Bible from Amazon, I purchased 4 copies through you. They came in a couple of days and I am delighted with them. The Bibles are elegant, thin, soft faux-leather covered, gilt-edged, and the print is extremely readable. All this for just a fraction of their true value. Well done, Amazon!
on 27 February 2011
This is advertised as being leather, but I would confidently suggest that it is actually faux leather, and not a particularly luxuriant one at that. However, this is in no way a negative review, as this is the best release yet of the British version of the ESV text (admittedly there is not a lot of competition).

So, what we get here, at last, is a decent-sized font issue WITHOUT the distracting cross-references which appeared in Collins' first set of 'anglicized' ESVs, released several years ago.

The translation is good - basically it's the old RSV modernised from an evangelical perspective. It makes a good choice for close study, although, in truth, I still prefer the RSV, despite its age.

There is a release which is identical, save for having a slightly nicer (in my opinion) cover, described as 'Midnight Blue', but looking more like black: ISBN-10 0007360665. On both the inner-binding cracks rapidly.

It's a shame that Harper Collins do not do more to push the British text of the ESV. If you don't mind reading the US text then Crossway Books (and now others too) produce a plethora of better-bound releases.

To sum up. Good translation, passable binding, excellent value.
on 9 September 2010
Holy Bible: English Standard Version (ESV)

No translation of the Bible can be perfect but, in my view, the ESV at present leads the field for accuracy and readability. The Crossway editions have clear print and are beautifully produced. This will be a constant companion until something better comes along!
on 5 November 2008
This book has a format of two columns on each page which I think most bible readers will be used to. Binding and printing are to a good standard. The book size has been criticised elsewhere but it is a standard USA size which I find very comfortable to handle. Most importantly the paper used in this edition is not the thinnest and so the pages do not drag downwards as is the case of many large books. To give a practical example when I held the bible open at John the left hand side of the book moved downwards only a little. Those of us who hand hold the book to read will appreciate just how good that is! As a comparison I have the CEV version and the pages are much thinner and are very prone to slip. So it is a very nice book to read at the practical level. Footnotes and other essential cross references are kept to small print at the bottom of the page so that they do not interfere with continuous reading. I find this a very good translation although to enlarge on meanings I refer to other versions on occasion and it might be dishonest not to admit that. On the whole though it is a good reading version, but I am still not sure that it is 'better' than the Revised English, which I consider is still very undervalued. Nevertheless it is still my 'pick' of the large print bibles of which there are not that many really. One final note is that the text is clear and large of course but the font has 'tall upright character' which I am now settling down to but which I had not seen before. The easy to read properties of this bible are probably going to make it my favourite book.
on 29 March 2011
I don't know where to start! Got more than I expected, the cover is absolutely beautiful. English Standard Version translation is very easy to understand. Took a bit long to arrive but came in neat packaging and high quality.

I would recommend this Bible to anyone who needs a cheap but high quality Bible !
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Now that i have decided to make the ESV bible my main version to read, I wanted a small one that i could take to work and carry out.
This version is just great for that.
I read it on the train and use for church.
Fits nicely in my bag
Love the introduction it gives to each book.
Print good for a bible this size. Comparable with the NIV print of bible same size.
Was a wee bit disappointed in the cover when I first got it but it has grown on me.
It is not leather but has a plasticky feel to it
however i think this will be more durable and more suitable for carrying around than a leather one.
Like i say it has grown on me.
I love the ESV translation
My other ESV is a thinline and is just great
on 21 August 2005
This version is so easy to read and yet has not lost the beauty of the language of the KJV, It is beautifully bound in calfskin leather, a real pleasure to hold and most of all to read, if you need encouragement to read the Bible then is the one for you.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I would advise would-be purchasers to look at the American deluxe compact editions from Crossway rather than this Collins edition: it's only real advantage is that it is anglicised.
However, in comparison to the Crossway editions, it lacks gilt to the page edges and is far less flexible. The Collins cover, an attractive charcoal grey with light grey decorative stitching around the edges, is not as good as the Crossway tru-tone covers. There is no way the Collins can be described as imitation leather: it is plastic, nice plastic, but plastic nonetheless.
I suspect the binding is glued, not sewn: the American editions are apparently sown and, therefore, can open and lie flat. The Collins edition simplies closes: force would break the cover or spine.
On the plus side, this compact ESV is much more readable than previous editions: the type is clearer and a little larger. But this is also the case with the newer US editions.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...