5.0 out of 5 stars Please don't end
As a massive Alan Gordon Partridge fan, I too was sceptical about this book, worrying that it would be a bit lame and play it safe and ultimately I would be dissapointed. How wrong was I. This is a book that I pick up and read but don't want to read too much because I don't want to finish it. If you are a fan it will be the best thing you read/buy all year.
You hear...
Published on 28 Oct 2011 by Nickfletch72

3.0 out of 5 stars over rated
Fair play for Russell, an earlier reviewer, for putting his balls out of the bath on this and giving it the rating it deserves - three stars.

As a huge fan of Partridge, I couldn't help but feel a little relieved to finally finish this book. To give it a fair crack of the whip, I've got to say at times it was frankly hilarious - so much so, I was scared to read...
Published on 13 Nov 2011 by webber

5.0 out of 5 stars Please don't end, 28 Oct 2011
You hear Partridge as you read the book and its almost as if he is reading it to you. You laugh out load because, its funny. You feel sorry for Alan, you feel embarrassed for Alan, you feel embarrassed because of Alan and sometimes you even agree with Alan.
Never written a review before but...............this is ruddy.....ruddy excellent. Back of the net!

5.0 out of 5 stars A catchphrase-free if admittedly gushing review, 29 Sep 2011
Rambleast Reviews (Truth Or Consequences, New Mexico) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is quite honestly the funniest book I have ever read. You'd be forgiven for thinking that an entire book written in character from one of these isles' and comedy history's most successful, developed and believable creations could fall short of expectations on many levels, but it doesn't. Not one facet of the superbly titled "I Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan" (even the TITLE is 100% character-accurate) didn't live up to my expectations.

Coogan, Iannucci and newcomers the brothers Gibbons have created a very complete history for Partridge that effortlessly (and again, believably) takes in aspects of his storied past from the events of I'm Alan Partridge right back to anecdotes recounted in the lesser-seen (or heard) radio version of Knowing Me, Knowing You (whose referenced Steven McCombe is given a further verbal thrashing by our vengeful Alan). If you've felt that some of Coogan's ventures with the character have seen disjointed (how, precisely, did he get from I'm... to the excellent Mid Morning Matters, for example, and what's become of his supporting cast?) this book should serve to tie things together, though don't misread me- this is not a loosely assembled retread of common ground. There's not a page that doesn't boast a fresh tale, an exaggerated recollection or a declaration of excellence in some mundane field. Iannucci and Coogan's belief in the character (who they attest in the DVD extras for one episode dresses the way he does because it's the way Roger Moore started to in his later Bond appearances, and in another discuss - in detail - what numbers they think Alan would find funny) is what makes this rich, rich fictional history such a compelling and comical read. If you've ever wanted to know more about his relationships with Michael, Carol, Lynn or Sonja or precisely how someone so socially inept landed a gig presenting a primetime chatshow, you'll not be left wanting.

I, Partridge contains absolutely everything I would have wanted from it (Partridgeisms as disparate as using abbreviations only to have to explain them and thereby diminishing their usefulness or boasting about reading books aimed at 12-year-olds at age 9, to name but two of many) but adds a whole new layer of idiosyncrasy (the use of footnotes herein, for example, is particularly inspired) and is bolstered by Alan's unique (if clearly derivative) and acutely observed sense of prose, which is so commonly featured that to single out ay one example seems pointless.

The book's appeal is wide-ranging enough to accommodate those like myself who've devoured every audio commentary and Youtube-sourced guest appearance they can get their hands on in addition to relative newcomers or even those with no frame of reference for the character at all, simply because it's so well written and so fully realised that it functions as a great read no matter how you engage with it. You don't have to have heard Alan's recollections of youth in his televised outings to find his here-recited tales of being prone to nosebleeds or awkward first forays into sexual exploration amusing. It's a great comedy read in addition to being a great celebration of a character worth celebrating.

I'm not exaggerating when I say this book has made me laugh out loud more than any book I've ever read (in one sitting, no less), nor am I exaggerating when I say I'll probably re-read and re-read and analyse this tome to death much as I have Partridge's previous exposures. It is, as much as a book written by a fictional character could ever be, absolutely perfect.

5.0 out of 5 stars starts funny..., 28 Jan 2013
David (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan (Audio CD)
...very funny but as it progresses it becomes a bit sad. A bit Steptoe & Son. Makes me want to read the Don Estelle autobiography which sounds like a real life version.
Steve Coogan is not only a very funny man but his acting and voice talent is wonderful too. If he weren't funny he'd be feted like Daniel Day Lewis.

5.0 out of 5 stars Partridge Gold, 13 Aug 2012
This was an absolute hoot! It helps if you apreciate Partidge humour of course and as a fan I found this book absolutley hilarious. The key is to imagine his voice narrating it to you. It's an autobiography of sorts in which he talks about the many episodes of his life, some of which featured in his various tv series. However this book adds a lot of humourous depth to embelish those times we are familiar with in series such as I'm Alan Partridge. I was actually surprised at just how much depth there was to this book and how original it all felt despite having seen just about all of his television work, in some ways I found reading the book funnier than watching his shows. If you've ever sniggered at one of his television performances then buy this book, you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The great man speaks - back of the net!, 16 July 2013
Trevor Willsmer (London, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan (Audio CD)
"Other than those moments when I've either punched or shot people live on air, the name Alan Partridge has come to be a byword for broadcasting excellence."

With his big screen debut on the near horizon, it's a good time to visit Alan Gordon Partridge's seminal memoir (the second one, not the one that got pulped). Some may laugh, a lot, but this is no mere cheap cash-in aimed at the Christmas market but a fully realised journey through a remarkable life, the full importance of which has yet to - and may never be - realised. And Partridge pulls no punches, revisiting the highlights of his distinguished career without recycling and rehashing old material, preferring to fill in the gaps between shows - his childhood battle against nosebleeds, the breakup of his marriage (it's hard to talk about, but Harper-Collins have insisted), finding solace in pony trekking until Brokeback Mountain came out and it didn't feel right anymore, the aftermath of his fallout with Glenn Ponder, his friendships with Bill Oddie and Sue Cook, the fate of his East European girlfriend who wanted desperately to marry him or anyone else with a British visa and, most harrowing of all, the root of his Toblerone addiction heck that set him back 54,000 (more than most unhappily married men spend on prostitutes in their whole life) when introduced to the chocolate treat by either Pepsi or Shirley of Pepsi and Shirley. When familiar ground is revisited, it's seen through Alan's eyes, which some cynics may find disingenuous, not least his unique interpretation of his memorable encounter with Tony Hayers in the BBC restaurant or his not at all nitpicking ruminations on the accidental murder of Forbes McAllister live on air.

And there's plenty of celebrity gossip along the way, including the revelation that his partnership with David Furnish is just a cover story to hide the fact that Elton John is straight and that David Essex might be a gypsy because Alan's reliably informed that he once tried to put a curse on Leo Sayer after an argument at an Indian restaurant, not to mention his always profound and well thought out political and philosophical opinions ("At many of the pivotal points in my life I've found that the best way to reach a decision is to find out what a Baptist would do, then do the oposite") as well as the odd lifestyle tip like the importance of eating roughage at a funeral reception buffet.

It's well worth picking up the audio book version because, while it may lack a picture section, this is a book that tends to lose a lot in print when Alan's delivery and intonation are such a big part of the emotional effect: it's the kind of smooth and commanding vocal performance that only years of honing your craft on hospital radio, Our Price in-store radio and Radio Norfolk and Radio North Norfolk's more challenging timeslots can produce. Take away the great man's voice, and you're only getting half the story - a patridge without feathers, as Alan might say. Back of the net!

5.0 out of 5 stars Literally laugh out loud funny, 12 July 2013
You know book is a good comedy book when after reading the first chapters you know you can't read it out otherwise you will look like a crazy person. Great book for fans, totally reads like Alan speaks. If watched all his shows some great takes on his opinion of events. If not a fan unlikely to sway you, but for me a definite 5 stars. Best biography ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars funniest book i've ever read, 9 Jun 2013
1. it helps if you're familiar with the character Alan Partridge
2. not one single unfunny page
3. im on my second reading and its even funnier
4. ties in lovely with the tv series: kmky and im alan partridge
5. thank you Mr Coogan for alleviating my depression

5.0 out of 5 stars Jurrasic Park!, 3 Mar 2013
This is better than my poster of Jet and will last longer than the elastic on my running shorts, which has sadly perished.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book GOLD, 21 Jan 2013
Kept me entertained for quite literally, days.

Partridge on his mother's funeral:

"But when I started recounting how she used to let me lick the spoon when she was making cakes or gravy, it all got too much. I became so grief-stricken I barely knew what I was saying. For a while I thought I was broadcasting. Uncle Pete said that at one point I tried to introduce "Cool for Cats" by Squeeze."

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 10 Jan 2013
Love Alan Partridge so I am biased. I would love anything Steve did as Alan, even that terrible tour he did of assorted characters a few years back. Just buy the book so he will see the pound signs and do more Alan stuff, your cooperation is greatly appreciated in this matter.

ARRAY(0xb48f3f84)

I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan
I, Partridge: We Need To Talk About Alan by Alan Partridge (Audio CD - 29 Sep 2011)
13.39