5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!
Published 22 months ago by Annie May

3.0 out of 5 stars My old man
Very heavy going but worth reading. Interesting to read about the old musical hall days and the type of people who worked there.
Published 19 months ago by Sandra Tolley

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Oct 2012
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)
I have always had an interest in the history of the music hall and was itching to read this book, after hearing John speak on radio 2. Like the other reviewer I too learnt a few new facts. The book was an excellent read and kept me interested all the way through. Especially enjoyed reading about Tom & Kitty's career. Anyone with an interest in music hall will enjoy this book, I'm sure. Great selection of photographs too! Highly recommended. Wilton's music hall in London gets a mention and is a great place to visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars John Major's "My Old Man", 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)
There are several "histories" of the Music Hall available, but this one is especially worthy. As a concise survey of the subject it is remarkably wide-ranging, accurate, and very readable. It also deals briefly but revealingly with the American and European versions of what is usually considered to be a rather "British" phenomenon, and even includes a fascinating survey of Minstrel shows. Added to this, the "personal" element - the story of Sir John Major's own music hall family - adds a human dimension, bringing the whole story to life. Highly recommended as both a serious study of part of our theatrical heritage, and also as a great introduction to the subject for experts and newcomers alike. In my opinion, this is not just an enjoyable, but also an important contribution to Music Hall studies. I couldn't put it down!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 5 Dec 2012
D. L. Hull - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)
Lots of personal details on the lives of well-known and not so well-known performers. Very enjoyable.Can recommend with

perfect confidence.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very pleasant view of Old Time Music Hall, 19 Nov 2012
My Old Man, by Sir John Major
This is a very good history of Music Hall from before this name was established to the end of the era, when Television killed the institution off.
John Major writes with great knowledge and affection of the Artists of old, and makes the era come alive. A fascinating, enjoyable read, and a great history lesson on this section of Theatre

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, excellent read - buy a copy!, 10 Oct 2012
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)
It was only after hearing John Major interviewed on Radio 3 that I knew about this book - My Old Man - A Personal History of Music Hall - and that is what it is. Not only is it beautifully written but it is aimed, I guess, at the reader with a general interest in Music Hall, not the officiardo. John Major has stated that he must be the only person to have run away from the circus to be an accountant - and this respectful history confirms that. I already knew a little about the Music Halls but this volume covered pre Music Hall, and its demise. John gives us brief life historys of the famous names, and interesting facts about the less well known, but equally hard working, artists. I really enjoyed every word of the book - learnt lots of new facts and appreciated the good selection of colour and black and white illustrations. Read this book - you are going to love it. I have now bought a copy of John Major's eaarlier book about cricket - of which I know little, but am looking forward to finding out.

3.0 out of 5 stars My old man, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)

5.0 out of 5 stars A present for a pal who knows the old music halls well., 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)
This was a well liked book and was something that was wanted, well written and quite comprehensive. The oldtime music halls were the great form of entertainment for the masses and here you will find many old stars mentioned. A must for the lovers of old time entertainment.

5.0 out of 5 stars MUSIC HALL, 10 Dec 2012
Montague Barber (london gb) - See all my reviews
The research done by John Major is amazing. When I discovered his background was a circus family in Brixton, I downloaded the book at once (and I am Labour supporter!). I am old enough to have seen, as a child, Gracie Fields, Flanagan & Alan and many others, live at the LONDON PALLADIUM.(my father was the drummer in the pit orchesra). Later, I saw them all at the METROPOLITAN EDGWARE ROAD, ALEXANDER STSTOKE NEWINGTON, HIPPODROME BALHAM omongst others, when the artist played the circuits. THATS ENTERTAINMENT!! Anyone with appreciation of real entertainment, should find this book exciting.

5.0 out of 5 stars A - Personal - Voyage of Discovery...Taken With the Author, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall (Hardcover)
`My Old Man', as I write, must represent the definitive introduction to the Music Hall genre. Although far from comprehensive - the book makes no such claims, per the author's introduction - this compelling story is lovingly unravelled in its correct historic, social, economic, artistic and international contexts. However, an otherwise perfect - and unquestionably noble - enterprise is compromised, in my humble opinion, by two - minor - points. Firstly, whilst the hardbook edition slowly builds an historic narrative of Music Hall birth stretching to fifty pages, the corresponding obituary is despatched in a rather more perfunctory manner (cinema, radio, recorded music and increasingly sophisticated consumer tastes conspired to kill the Music Hall Star), with little regard given to Music Hall's post war sibling - Variety. Finally, the narrative `style' occasionally drifts to tones adopted by Civil Servants when drafting briefing papers and HMRC memoranda. But this matters little - whilst we learn, with Mr Major, of parental motivations, we also begin to understand the intangible, irresistible `pull' of showbiz.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable book giving an insight into early Variety and Music Hall, 15 Jan 2014
I found this book very enlightening on the subject of early Music Hall and Variety with lots of shared memories from his parents. This gave it a lovely feeling. I would recommend that all who enjoy the history of this type of theatre buy this book as it mentions all sorts of acts, many of whom I had not heard, quite a few who I knew or had heard of from my grandmother and also missed out some who I thought should have been included, such as Norman Evans who was one of my favourites when I was a small child.

My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall
My Old Man: A Personal History of Music Hall by John Major (Hardcover - 13 Sep 2012)
13.60