5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories re-lived
My wife & I bought this for Mother's Day for my wife's mum. My Mother-in-Law had been given this book as a child so had precious memories of it. It has been like giving her the crown jewels as she had been looking for a copy for many years.

Published on 28 April 2012 by Cobra 1961

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disapointed
Iwas a little disapointed in this book, but probably my own fault, I was expecting it to be a larger book with some illustrations, but it is just a normal paper back. I should have looked more carefully at the blurb.
Published 15 months ago by Shropshire Lass

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories re-lived, 28 April 2012
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)

My Mother-in-Law also has the pleasure of reading to her 6yr Grandson and reliving the exciment that she and my wife have had from this treasure of childhood.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disapointed, 23 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of Victorian nostalgia, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
This was read to me when I was 5 and had left a deep impression. I decided to read it to a very elderly lady I care for. We are both enjoying it so much because we had forgotten most of it. It's very much of it's time but that also makes it interesting.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fairy tale by today's standards, 25 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
A satirical, fantastical novel that follows young Tom on his adventures as a water baby, this often becomes quite tiresome to read as Kingsley has a lot to say in as many words! Often he comments that this is a fairy tale, but it is difficult to ignore the satirical comments towards 19th century society. True, it has the narrative voice and attempts to teach like a fairy tale, and, on further research after reading this, it was originally accepted as a child's novel, but this is certainly not the case when reading it in the 21st century. Yes, his comments are interesting to ponder and sometimes quite funny, it is the manner that it is told in that is most challenging and difficult to overcome.

The characters Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid and Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby summarise Kingsley's intentions for "teaching" his readers. Whilst there are some humorous parts to this story, such as his commentary on taxing long words, I found it a struggle to keep focused on the story and did find myself racing to the end, simply to find out Tom's fate.

Give this book a go if you are interested in 19th century satire. It does read similar to `Gulliver's Travels' because of this social commentary and the fantastical world created. If you have always been curious about this story and what it has to offer, then I would definitely recommend dipping in and out to fully appreciate what Kingsley is trying to say. In fact, I would recommend to all who are interested to read up on this novel once you have finished to really understand the background to Kingsley's commentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 20 April 2013
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
This was bought as a present and it is high quality and an easy read. The person who received the gift loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 20 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
I bought this for a Little Niece to read to her, the same as my Father used to read it to me when I was a child, she thoroughly enjoyed it, a timeless classic

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 star, 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
Tip top quality and great value for money for an absolute classic, that still compels primary school children. Great text to use cross-curricula alongside Victorian history lessons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Memories, 3 May 2014
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
I must have read this book at least ten times over the years. It was read to me as a very young child and when I was able to read it for myself I did so throughout my life, most recently last year. I purchased this book for my Grand daughter aged 11years and whom happily is an avid reader. The book arrived well packaged and on time. I will happily recommend classic books such as the water babies to all my friends and family members for their youngsters/teens. Thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what I thought at all., 21 April 2014
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
I had a hazy memory of the Water Babies from childhood and this was frankly rather disappointing and in some passages tedious. The general story is nice and there are some lovely ideas in it, but a lot of the writing and descriptive passages left me cold.

3.0 out of 5 stars childrens book, 4 April 2014
This review is from: The Water Babies (Collins Classics) (Paperback)
WAS BOUGHT FOR MY GRANDDAUGHTER. She enjoyed the book but again mentioned that she would have liked it better if it was hard battered.

The Water Babies (Collins Classics)
The Water Babies (Collins Classics) by Charles Kingsley (Paperback - 2 Jan 2012)
2.25