5.0 out of 5 stars God Love him!
Published on 11 April 2012 by Ann Victoria Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting
Not really my style of literature. But a good trip down memory lane for those of us who grew up in the 70s in Northern Ireland.
Published 16 months ago by Philip Cleland

5.0 out of 5 stars God Love him!, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Paperboy: An Enchanting True Story of a Belfast Paperboy Coming to Terms with the Troubles (Paperback)
What a terrific read this was. Guaranteed to cheer up anyone down in the dumps. Most of us didn't grow up in Belfast and so never experienced the Troubles at first-hand, but in spite of some terrifying experiences, Tony Macauley managed to make it so funny with his acute observations and throw-away lines, from 'the only pacifist paperboy in West Belfast.' Brilliant observations, and brilliantly written, because he remained the 12 to 13-year-old boy throughout. The adult perspective never intruded. I loved it - I loved him. Wonderful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars those were the days!!!, 10 Dec. 2011
most enjoyable read, especially if you grew up as a teenager in northern ireland in the 1970s. brought back a lot of happy memories. even though im not from belfast so many of tonys experiences (neighbours, siblings, friends, bombs, music, soldiers, girls, discos, ...) struck a chord.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought back Memories, 17 Jan. 2013
A book I did not want to put down, it related to all the pop culture surounding a child of the 70's anywhere in Great Britian while laced with the total madness of living in Belfast in the troubles. Personally I related to the era and with the easy writing style it was a pleasure to recall the simple and nieve life we lead. Awaiting the Baker Boy with antispiation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely funny and relevant., 13 Dec. 2012
Stuart Alexander (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I laughed out loud so many times reading this gem of a book that I lost count. The one liners and the way he describes things are just hilarious - " I had never seen such a large crowd on a Belfast street without the presence of petrol bombs" I almost fell off the couch reading about the lads kicking the Bay City Rollers! I was brought up in West of Scotland so understand the whole bigotry thing but this book from a child's perspective perfectly shows the absurdity of it all. This book should be introduced in schools in areas where the problems highlighted are sadly still very present in everyday lives.

4.0 out of 5 stars A trip back in time., 22 April 2014
Paperboy manages to do something extremely difficult - to realistically paint a picture of another time and world. Tony Mcauley writes of a Belfast many of us remember fondly and yet with deep sadness. It was a city of contradiction. We got along with life in the 1970s with awful fashions but Belfast was also a city that made the abnormality of terrible violence somehow normal. Tony manages to portray this in a beautifully written piece of nostalgia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disarmingly honest account of "The Troubles"., 10 Jan. 2015
Disarmingly honest. Side-splittingly entertaining. Probably the best guide to "The Troubles" in the world. Tony's telling of the Northern Irish conflict as lived out by a young teenager in West and North Belfast is masterful. He successfully captures the many contradictions that were and are a part of Northern Irish society and how they impacted (and to an extent continue to impact) on people's daily lives. This is the ultimate antidote to a thousand grim documentaries on the Northern Irish conflict. It explains the conflict not in terms of deep politico-religious analysis but in the most human of ways - its impact on life, families, friendships (including those made across the barricades) and childhood. What would otherwise be grim and deadly details are expertly woven into a novel format that is a definite page-turner from the moment you start reading it. I should declare however that I did go to school with Tony and know him personally and am thus biased however any reader will be captivated by Tony's real-life stories, deftly told in character. The next time I am asked by those outside Northern Ireland to explain The Troubles, I think the best answer would be to direct them to "Paperboy". Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true reflection of 1970's Belfast, 14 Jan. 2014
Reading this book was like taking a step back in time. A true and enchanting description of life in the mid seventies upper Shankill, despite the troubles. I know because I was there. I was a member of the Westy Disco a true privilege in itself. A bit of poetic license here and there but what a wonderful account!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous Read, 5 Jan. 2012
Just absolutely loved this book from start to finish. Anyone brought up in the 70's will relate to this book with ease, even more so if you have a connection with NI. Told from the perspective of a boy from a decent working class family from the Shankill this book is genuinely laugh out loud in places and pleasantly nostalgic throughout. Thoroughly entertaining and highly recommended reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, so it was, 18 April 2012
Having grown up in Belfast during 'The Troubles' this story took me back to a time when us kids were innocent in spite of all that was happening around us. I loved the humour in the tales of everyday life - at times I laughed until I cried. A really excellent, easily read book - more like this one please Tony.

5.0 out of 5 stars Class!, 12 Jan. 2012
I was born and grew up in 70's Belfast, although now live in Scotland, so I loved this trip down memory lane and back in time to my childhood.So much resonance here for me, and it was fascinating to experience the Troubles again from a child's perspective, which is probably the only way I ever grasped them. I do remember wondering why my parents started shouting at the telly when certain characters appeared on it, and the gradual dawning of what my own identity was supposed to be. I identified with so much in this book, but I think anyone from the era wherever they grew up would enjoy this book.