2,438 Reviews
 (1,899)

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable and surprising
On my latest foray to buy some new fantasy, the till assistant suggested that I might like to try George R. R. Martin. I had seen his books before, but had never committed to reading them, but on this recommendation, I picked this book up for my summer holiday. Over 800 pages and less than 5 days later it was finished.

Although somewhat slow in starting, the...
Published on 23 Aug 2006 by Steven Baker

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book, poor edition
As advertised, this is an incredibly good book - believe all the hype and purchase it immediately!

My one gripe is the format of the Kindle edition which is literally covered with typos e.g. 'Tf' for 'It', 'boh' for 'both' and quite frequently 'bum' or 'bumed' for 'burn' or 'burned'.

My suggestion, as this sort of poor quality production detracts...
Published on 30 May 2011 by Sebastian

‹ Previous | 1190 191 192244 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of Game of thrones., 31 May 2011
firstly bought it recently due to it being turned into a tv series and wanted to read it before i saw all the episodes. I enjoyed it a lot but found it quite a 'slow-burner' took time to get into each character. chapters are not numbered just named after the main focus of that chapter, e.g. Ned for when eddard stark is the focus, i found this annoying at first and harder to keep track of where i was in the book without a bookmark. it jumps from character to character again initially annoying but got use to it by the end. need better maps to illustrate where places are in the book would suggest some in the middle. his style of writing is good and sets a good image without spending 4 pages to do it. i highly recommend it if you like heroic fantasy fiction.

5.0 out of 5 stars Start of a brilliant series, 30 May 2011
I have just started watching the tv series on sky Atlantic and I am really enjoying it so far, so I thought Id give the book a try as Ive had it on my to be read shelf for a while as its a mammoth of a book (835 pages long). This book is amazing, I love all the characters and the plot of the book, the only gripe (And a little one at that) is there is so many characters and I kept forgeting who was who but there is a little section at the back (in this edition) to let you know which characters are who and who belongs to which house. I will be ordering the next books and hoping the other books will be as good.I would recommend it to Fantasy readers, folklore readers, and political fiction readers.Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Sky Atlantic, 29 May 2011
How can Sky Atlantic complete with this epic tome - Sean Bean as the main character? NOT TRUE. READ THE BOOK it is better than
THE MAZALAN SERIES or LORD OF THE RINGS. TRY IT; in 3 weeks i've ordered the third book. George Martin will have to write a lot quicker.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great journey into fantasy, 24 May 2011
I like to read. In fact, I read a lot. As a consequance, I read fast. Too fast, unfortunately. I go through the whole Lord of the Rings trilogy in two to three days, including the part at end where Tolkien explains how his characters were named.

So, Game of Thrones was a very good book for me. It was a big (which means I could enjoy it for a long time), deep and interesting. The author created a hugely complex world complete with its own politics, wars and ancient enemies. His characters range from the noble and worldly to downright evil and villanous.

The plot is interesting and complex, telling a long story with a lot of details. This books, as well as the series, is great for immersing yourself in it. It's great for plunging right into its depths and learning all there is to know about the great world the author created.

If I have a small gripe, it's about the too many plots and characters. Sometimes, even for me, it was difficult tracking the various plots, characters and names, and remembering who did what to whom and when. In my humble opinion, the story and the plot could have been told without switching so much from character to character when sometimes the links between the plots and the characters became apparent in the following books in the series.

All in all, this is a very good book, just beware the (too) many plots and (too) many characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable, 22 May 2011
I don't read a lot of fantasy fiction but this is terrific.
Well-plotted and epic in scale, funny, sad, action-packed and poignant.
Go for it.
And there's more of them to enjoy too.

5.0 out of 5 stars awsome book, 20 May 2011
when i first started reading these books i thought that they would be really boring(no ofence) but when i had read the first page i just couldnt look up from the book so i would highly recomend it to other kindle users

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 18 May 2011
Decided to purchase this after seeing the first episode of the T.V. series (and am thoroughly impressed with both now) and I am glad I did. Very well written, and am ending this review to go and buy the second in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent piece of high fantasy, 15 May 2011
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)

I have read pretty much most of the main fantsy epics out there, but I have only recently taken up George R.R. Martin's series, which begins with a Game of Thrones. A Game of Thrones is as good a read as I have had in many years. The story line gets off to a strong start, and the character development hits the ground running. By the time I was half way through the book, I was aware that I was reading a classic and that I would be eagerly reading the rest of the series.

The strength of the book rests in the speed at which the reader really makes a connection with the main characters. Each chapter is named after the character which the chapter focuses on, and is told through that characters' POV. It is a very effective way of allowing the reader to get inside the minds of these characters. The book is paced very well, giving it that "can't put it down" factor which I always enjoy in a book.

The main plot lines are interesting and quite realistic. The book introduces the reader to the world of Westeros, a medieval place, with knights in shining armour etc. and which features a culture which is a blended mix of and cruelty, violence and haughty arrogance, overlayed with a very thin topping of chivalry .... just like I imagine our own medieval era was.
Although there is lots of talk of supernatural forces and dragons in the world, the overall feel of the place is of a realistic gritty world, where bad things happen more often than not, and the survival of the fittest is the general rule. The good guys don't always come out on top (in fact they hardly ever do)and the closing chapters conclude the book with a dramatic and quite shocking climax.

If you are a fan of the fantasy genre, and have not read this series, don't wast any more time. Get out and buy these books. You won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book EVER!, 10 May 2011
Seriously... This is the best book and series EVER written! I highly recommend this series. I read books 1-4 while I toured Iraq. I can't wait for the 5th in the series (which I've preordered). I've heard people say this series is strictly for men, but I beg to differ. I got my Mom and wife to read it. And now my brother-in-law is reading it. They all love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best fantasy read in a long time, 9 May 2011
As is the case with alot of people I became a fan of fantasy by reading Tolkein as a child. Since then I have found it hard to find a fantasy book that even comes close to the magnitude of Lord of the Rings. A game of thrones is that rare book that is up their with the greats and doesnt lack for anything in the story like most fantasies do. I became hooked on the characters and plots and found myself not being able to put the book down until I read it cover to cover. I am now currently hooked on the second book in the series.

‹ Previous | 1190 191 192244 | Next ›

A Game of Thrones (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1)
A Game of Thrones (Reissue) (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1) by George R. R. Martin (Paperback - 1 Sep 2011)
4.26