4.7 out of 5 stars1,504
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 April 2012
Book two in the series, A Clash of Kings, easily doubled or tripled the fantastic element of the first. The climax fit the epic genre more than the first and the characters were more intriguing.

Catelyn Stark takes on a bigger role in book two when she needs to show strength for her children, especially Robb. The Stark children are spread out away from each other, each having bits of their story told. Tyrion takes on a larger role in the second book, both in the storyline, and for chapters dedicated to his character. Many of the plot elements come to a head during the climax for A Clash of Kings and Martin finishes it all off with an epic battle just outside the city gates.

I wanted to give A Clash of Kings 5 stars, but I don't think it's quite there yet. The story is great, the writing concise and intriguing, but I need just a little more. Since the series feels more like a single massive story broke up into single books, I can't judge it completely yet on the first two chapters.
on 27 July 2013
Well having read the first book and take a break to recover my stamina I embarked on this one. I agree with some of the other more negative reviews about the repetition and very slow pace. What was particularly disappointing was the fact that after 700 pages not a great deal is resolved and you are left having to move to the next book. Overall I felt that the time investment was not worth the return.
on 15 July 2011
I love this series of books. I'm not usually a big fan of fantasy books, but these books are more than just fantasy. I have gone directly from one book to the next and they seem to get better. He has some great characters both male and female, who are never simply black and white, good and bad. There is depth to his characters and often a dark side, which is nonetheless likeable. His stories are never predictable. In the 3rd book I went from being outraged by the turn of events, "No, you can't do that!", to being thrilled by the twists and turns. These books were recommended to me and I in turn have gone on to recommend them and to give them to friends as gifts. I've just started the 4th book and I don't want the series to end. Thankfully, I have recently discovered that the latest book, the 5th one is much thicker than the others. Great!
on 24 February 2016
The writing is the same as the first, but even more basic. The motif is also the same. The writer creates tension by breaking the story in chapters that are totally irrelevant to one another, thus having cliff hangers every 20 pages. In these 20 pages there is also a motive to follow. Character talks with another, there is a mention to The Wall (sadly not Pink Floyd's), some other clan is somehow mentioned, there may be a battle, there may be food, there may be sex. Then something else bad happens, and we have a cliff hanger. There is another pattern sometimes, this one is simpler. I call it "the nothing happens". The term is pretty self-explanatory.

I have to admit, I started reading the first book because of the hype. I finished it. The second...well I managed to make it to the 30% mark or somewhere there. So tiring.
on 5 July 2011
This has been such an enjoyable read that I can't wait to get stuck into the next instalment. The TV show whetted my appetite, but the book has surpassed my expectations. Brilliantly drawn characters, all complex and believable. The plot fairly barrels along, and you find yourself reading chapter after chapter to try to get to the next twist. Loved it.
on 28 June 2011
WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I had hoped that A Clash of Kings would be as good as The Game of Thrones, so many times the 1st book of a series is excellent but the next is a bit of a disappointment. But not this time, if anything it was better. There were several things that happened that I didn't see coming at all, and they made me catch my breath in surprise.
The story of the Lannisters continues, now they are fighting both the Starks and the Baratheons for the crown.
But this time it is the younger Starks who have more input in the story. Arya , Bran, Stansa and Rickon are put through the mill and it is my no means certain that they will survive.
My favourite character Tyrian Lannister continues to amuse and impress me, Jon Snow mystifies me and Theon Greyjoy gets his comeuppance.
Can't wait to start the next one.
on 21 November 2011
GRRM is too clever by far in this book. The number of plot twists started to irritate me. It is fun to expect the unexpected but when your predictions are completely wrong then you have no idea what's coming next. It isn't quite non-sequitur, like Family Guy, but sometimes feels not far from it.

This book sees the introduction of the Iron Islands story thread which I really don't like or enjoy. I can't find anything likeable in those characters and I don't particularly enjoy reading about them. Part of this is because I really enjoyed the Stark's, so I feel a natural enmity here. This story thread becomes a bit more interesting in the last couple of books but I still think it could have been omitted entirely.

Enjoyable but finish it quick to get to book 3 which I think is a better read.
VINE VOICEon 21 July 2011
If the first book in the cycle, A Game of Thrones, set new standards, a Clash of Kings raises the bar even higher. Following on from the shocking conclusion to the first book the story continues with the emergence of 3 more potential claimants to the Iron Throne,Without giving too much away the story lines started in the first book continue, with one obvious exception, and new voices are added, not all successfully. Again there is the strange mix of stories from children, and some very adult material, sex secenes (Badly written) and magic. If one thing lets the book down it is this, I believe it is about 50 pages too long. While I appreciate the skill of Mr Martin in his descriptive passages, these could easily be trimmed without losing the sense of the story, or its characters.
on 3 July 2012
I read the book after watching the second series of the TV show, the book really adds depth to the visual story being told. Martin tells the story through the characters with each one having about ten pages of story every 4 or 5 chapters. Some of the characters adventures such as Tyrion, Jon and Arya are excellent others are a little boring. The book is 700 pages long and some chapters are over stretched however that is the only criticism of the book.

Martin has created an epic with outstanding characters, story line and expectation. After reading 1500 pages of the narrative and a further 3000+ to go I feel this story will develop into an excellent read.

Overall not quite as good as the first book but better than the rest out there.
on 20 February 2012
Frankly if you like fantasy and haven't read this series you should go and play the bloody mummers a visit. Brilliantly imaginative, expertly crafted, and beautifully realised, Martins world of Westeros and the lands across the Narrow seas are one of the most amazing and awe inspiring creations in all of fiction. I love this series not only because the characters are deep and make nearly always logical and well informed decisions, but because every pebble, ever tuft of crass or brooked stream, has a story connected to it, and Martin amazingly explains those stories within the story without ever sounding boring or dull. It is amazing. Martin is amazing, his books are brilliant, the four stars are because the 1st and 3rd are slightly more amazing.