5.0 out of 5 stars lovely read.
Published on 6 July 2012 by R. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not like writing style
Published 10 months ago by Lizanne

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely read., 6 July 2012
R. Moore "Ros Moore" (Wellingborough England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a super book, its makes you really laugh and at times cry, the story of this lovely lady's career from start to not quite finish is heart warming. We read of the fun the young trainee nurses have off duty, the strict training given in the 50's 60's and 70's,Matrons rounds when every thing had to be just so..or else (sadly no more), wards were to be impeccably clean as were the nurses, and the patents were nursed with love and care. Deciding at the end of her training to go to the grand new hospital that had just opened and train as a midwife, also for more training, going on the outside for home delivery's with a wonderful midwife, she gets to know just how people live some in abject poverty, and so her story goes on. I bought this book for my Kindle and was one of the first I read, it will stay in there, so that I can read it again and again it's that good.
Ros.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply delightful..........................., 31 Aug. 2012
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Midwife's Here' by Linda Fairley is a warm, entertaining, simply delightful true story which I could not put down. It is Linda's own story, dating back to the 60's when she first became a student nurse, and takes us through her training, up to her subsequent decision to become a midwife. There are laughs, tears, struggles, and friendships in abundance in this book. Linda tells her story in a very friendly manner, and is the kind of nurse/midwife I would like to have looking after me if I needed her. This is a lady who was born to care for others!! I empathised with her as she worked on the burns unit, and as she had to learn to deal with life AND death, taking care of the living and the dying. I loved her descriptions of the births that she witnessed and assisted in - the miracle of life that she participated in. This is a highly enjoyable, behind the scenes look at one of Britain's Longest Serving Midwives, and is a book that I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it!, 22 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Midwife's Here! (Paperback)
As a midwife of of over 30 years myself, this book has been on my wish list for sometime, but it was only when I read the synopsis of Linda's forthcoming novel, "Bundles of Joy" that I realise I had followed Linda down the same path some 9 years afterwards.
I was a student nurse at MRI and moved to Ashton u Lyne to train as a midwife working there for a full five years until 1984 when I moved to the south of England.
The detail and descriptions were spot on, I could visualise the wards at MRi, I remembered Miss Bell and the joy of receiving my MRI "penny".
I was born and brought up in Stalybridge and Linda talked of people and places I remember so well, Grey st where I was born at home and lived until I was 5, Lawtons bakery and their wonderful Parkin, Queenies in Ashton Market where I had a Saturday job until I left to become a nurse and many more wonderful places of my youth.
I too was interviewed by Miss Sefton and Kate Ingham who was by that time a midwifery tutor at Ashton .........what an inspiring lady she was, and who can forget Sister Kelly the description was spot on!

It is difficult for me to critique this book as it was so personal to my own experience but it is historically and factually accurate and for any woman in their 50's and 60's, nurse, midwife or mother it will surely evoke some memories. The fashions of the day, mini skirts, maxi skirts, kinky boots!
Park Drive, Capstan and Number 6 cigarettes, Rediffusion Television, Kodak instamatic cameras and of course the music! Georgey Girl, Jumpin Jack Flash, the Hollies and The Beatles.
Thank you Linda Fairley for sharing your memoirs, I read this book in 24 hours and it is the book I wished I had written myself.
I can't wait to read "Bundles of Joy" and already have it per- ordered for download to my Kindle as soon as it is released.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Aug. 2012
M. Mohamed (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book and was sorry to finish it. The author mentions she is writing another book to continue telling tales about her midwifery career so I would definitely read that one too when it comes out.
The first half of this book is more about the nursing career than midwifery, as it explains how she ended up changing from nursing to midwifery but the whole thing is really interesting, especially to see how things have changed in the nhs over the years (the book tells of her early career during the 60s and 70s) I found it really fascinating. The stories of the various births told in the second half of the book vary from the really heartwarming and uplifting to the really heartbreaking. At some points it made me cry. this book really makes you feel the highs and lows of a midwife's role. I found this midwife quite inspirational and she has an amazing story to tell!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and realistic., 5 July 2012
Pete Johnson "Pete Johnson" (Norfolk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was an easy to read book, obviously written by someone who did the things in it, yet remained a caring and sympathetic person. If you have seen the recent TV series about midwives, or ever watched 'One born every minute', you will have an idea where she is coming from. With all the usual ups and downs of life on a maternity ward, stories both tragic and uplifting, this is a slice of real life for the delectation of those who may not have experienced it, or a trip down memory lane for those that have. As someone who worked in the NHS from 1980-2001, I can recall nurses in starchy aprons, everyone smoking, and the necessary humour that relieves the tensions associated with difficult tasks. This would make a great Mothers' Day gift for any Mum. You could let her know that you appreciate what she went through!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book showing the Job of Midwife in a new light, 18 Oct. 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fantastic book showing how Midwifery has moved on and progressed over the last fifty years.
It is full of stories that will take you on an absolute roller coaster of emotions, stories of happiness as well as stories of utter grief, and shows how the job can be so very very raw as well as utterly awesome, bringing a new life into being with the barest of kit to full hospital support with doctors in attendance.
The advances that she saw during her career are fascinating, and really do show modern medicine in its best light.
Maybe not one to get though for new or expectant mothers as it is in places terribly sad, but certainly one for mothers with older children as well as Grannies and Aunties, I can see its fascination there as my mother loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Did not like writing style, 22 April 2014
I did not totally enjoy this. Much if it seemed superficial and I found it annoying the way it kept on repeating how wonderful everything was. Some of it did not ring true, for example it states that she passed her exams 'with flying colours'. Well, I trained as a nurse and midwife at around the same time and then we all only passed or failed without any indication as to how well (or badly) we had done. I think part of the problem may have been because I gather it was written by a ghost writer and I can see how this style might appeal to those unfamiliar with the times. Having said all that I did like some of the recollections of cases she came across, many of which mirrored my own experiences.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and interesting read, 27 Sept. 2012
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My only complaint about this book was it was not long enough..I want to know what happened next. I can't wait for the next instalment to come out. A fascinating insight into the history of midwifery in the UK told with warmth and humour. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very timely book, but not "call the midwife", 6 Sept. 2012
Ross Boardman "Ross B" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not the story behind "call the midwife" but that is no distraction to the book. A young nurse trains to be a midwife in a time when midwifery was trying to establish itself as an independent profession. The ups and downs are told without trying to put a warm glow over every event.

Given the term of service of the author there is no loss of passion for her calling and certainly much pride in her recollection. This reflects an era when people did stand out from the grey anonymity of the world and could make a real difference. Being remembered for your hard work and good deeds is a great thing and really shines through in her writing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as midwifey as expected, but jolly good., 31 July 2012
James Miller (Durham) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
An engrossing and easy read chronicling the author's journey to become a fully-fledged midwife. The title is slightly misleading in that it led me to anticipate this to be purely about midwifery, but in fact over half the book deals with Linda Fairley's initial training to become a state registered nurse, leaving the remainder to her subsequent midwifery training. That said it was difficult to put down and the overall story joined together both her personal life and professional life in a well-balanced mix. I thought it was better than Call The Midwife: A True Story Of The East End In The 1950s.

The Midwife's Here!
The Midwife's Here! by Linda Fairley (Paperback - 10 May 2012)