5.0 out of 5 stars lovely read.
Published on 6 July 2012 by R. Moore

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read
I got this book because I did my general and midwifery training (In Australia, before coming back to the UK) a couple of years before the author, and thought it would be interesting to read of her experiences of training in the UK. If I'd not stopped working as a midwife after 5 years, I would have beaten her record of service (though not in one place)!

I...
Published 17 months ago by jac

5.0 out of 5 stars lovely read., 6 July 2012
R. Moore "Ros Moore" (Wellingborough England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a super book, its makes you really laugh and at times cry, the story of this lovely lady's career from start to not quite finish is heart warming. We read of the fun the young trainee nurses have off duty, the strict training given in the 50's 60's and 70's,Matrons rounds when every thing had to be just so..or else (sadly no more), wards were to be impeccably clean as were the nurses, and the patents were nursed with love and care. Deciding at the end of her training to go to the grand new hospital that had just opened and train as a midwife, also for more training, going on the outside for home delivery's with a wonderful midwife, she gets to know just how people live some in abject poverty, and so her story goes on. I bought this book for my Kindle and was one of the first I read, it will stay in there, so that I can read it again and again it's that good.
Ros.

5.0 out of 5 stars simply delightful..........................., 31 Aug 2012
laineyf "widnes" (warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
'The Midwife's Here' by Linda Fairley is a warm, entertaining, simply delightful true story which I could not put down. It is Linda's own story, dating back to the 60's when she first became a student nurse, and takes us through her training, up to her subsequent decision to become a midwife. There are laughs, tears, struggles, and friendships in abundance in this book. Linda tells her story in a very friendly manner, and is the kind of nurse/midwife I would like to have looking after me if I needed her. This is a lady who was born to care for others!! I empathised with her as she worked on the burns unit, and as she had to learn to deal with life AND death, taking care of the living and the dying. I loved her descriptions of the births that she witnessed and assisted in - the miracle of life that she participated in. This is a highly enjoyable, behind the scenes look at one of Britain's Longest Serving Midwives, and is a book that I highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it!, 22 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Midwife's Here! (Paperback)
As a midwife of of over 30 years myself, this book has been on my wish list for sometime, but it was only when I read the synopsis of Linda's forthcoming novel, "Bundles of Joy" that I realise I had followed Linda down the same path some 9 years afterwards.
I was a student nurse at MRI and moved to Ashton u Lyne to train as a midwife working there for a full five years until 1984 when I moved to the south of England.
The detail and descriptions were spot on, I could visualise the wards at MRi, I remembered Miss Bell and the joy of receiving my MRI "penny".
I was born and brought up in Stalybridge and Linda talked of people and places I remember so well, Grey st where I was born at home and lived until I was 5, Lawtons bakery and their wonderful Parkin, Queenies in Ashton Market where I had a Saturday job until I left to become a nurse and many more wonderful places of my youth.
I too was interviewed by Miss Sefton and Kate Ingham who was by that time a midwifery tutor at Ashton .........what an inspiring lady she was, and who can forget Sister Kelly the description was spot on!

It is difficult for me to critique this book as it was so personal to my own experience but it is historically and factually accurate and for any woman in their 50's and 60's, nurse, midwife or mother it will surely evoke some memories. The fashions of the day, mini skirts, maxi skirts, kinky boots!
Park Drive, Capstan and Number 6 cigarettes, Rediffusion Television, Kodak instamatic cameras and of course the music! Georgey Girl, Jumpin Jack Flash, the Hollies and The Beatles.
Thank you Linda Fairley for sharing your memoirs, I read this book in 24 hours and it is the book I wished I had written myself.
I can't wait to read "Bundles of Joy" and already have it per- ordered for download to my Kindle as soon as it is released.

3.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 31 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Midwife's Here! (Paperback)

I enjoyed the stories of her training days and felt she was lucky to have such understanding superiors who let her transfer to obstetrics and then gave her 'easy' wards after her term there. I do understand that a childrens' burns ward can be harrowing -I'm not trying to lessen her training experiences- but it was obvious her matrons saw she was happier working with children etc than with the harrowing nursing in some adult wards.

I found her constant references to weeping on her fiancé's shoulder a bit much, though I do know trainees who were like that, so it is quite believable! I felt rather sorry for him. The author was honest about her shortcomings and I suspect she would not have lasted if she'd had to continue in general nursing.

The stories of her time as a midwife are very interesting and pretty accurate (I think some instruments may have been misremembered) and I enjoyed her writing style. I thought her lack of ambition rather sad, not in refusing to 'climb the ladder' (I did the same in order to continue working with patients) but in staying in the same hospital all those years and not using her experience elsewhere, or broadening it by nursing in different conditions either overseas or in other parts of the UK.

I hope the author can find outside interests that allow her to retire soon - I also felt sorry for her not being able to retire and coming back to work after 3 weeks.

I enjoyed the book and would recommend it, even though I picked at it myself, a non-nurse/midwife who enjoys 'medical' books would certainly enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and interesting read, 27 Sep 2012
Dodster (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My only complaint about this book was it was not long enough..I want to know what happened next. I can't wait for the next instalment to come out. A fascinating insight into the history of midwifery in the UK told with warmth and humour. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 25 Aug 2012
M. Marikar (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really enjoyed this book and was sorry to finish it. The author mentions she is writing another book to continue telling tales about her midwifery career so I would definitely read that one too when it comes out.
The first half of this book is more about the nursing career than midwifery, as it explains how she ended up changing from nursing to midwifery but the whole thing is really interesting, especially to see how things have changed in the nhs over the years (the book tells of her early career during the 60s and 70s) I found it really fascinating. The stories of the various births told in the second half of the book vary from the really heartwarming and uplifting to the really heartbreaking. At some points it made me cry. this book really makes you feel the highs and lows of a midwife's role. I found this midwife quite inspirational and she has an amazing story to tell!

3.0 out of 5 stars A pleasant book, but rather slow and a little superficial at times, 28 Jan 2013
Stealth Reviewer (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I suppose a lot of publishers are jumping on the bandwagon created by the "Call the Midwife" series, as I've seen a lot of either new books published soon afterwards, like this one, or re-issues of old books about nursing and midwifery.

This book is written by a lady who is one of Britain's longest-serving midwives and I believe at the time of writing, she is still a serving midwife in her 60s, which is an achievement to be admired.

The author joined up as a nurse in the late 1960s, so she was there when British society, and the NHS, were very much going through a period of immense change, so it is a fascinating period, and with the author's long service I can see why the publishers were interested in her story.

I did enjoy the book - the author has some interesting stories to tell and considering the time that has lapsed, she has good recall. She comes across as a caring person and it would be a privilege for any lady to have her as a midwife.

Having said that, the book is quite long and at times goes very slowly. The author gives you a lot of detail of her personal life, which is fine but sometimes I felt she went into rather too much detail, with a few pages of minutiae about what clothes she wore and holidays. I find to find small details more interesting than others but at times even I felt a bit bored and wished she'd hurry up a little. She said there wasn't space in the book to tell her whole story, but with tighter editing I think she could have fitted a lot more in - the book could have been a good 50 pages shorter.

Also whilst the author comes across as a nice person and is non-judgemental, I hate to say it but sometimes she comes across as just a little smug. I think she was trying to say how lucky she felt compared to some of her patients, but the constant reiteration on every other page of how lucky and privileged she was to have such a perfect life, with a wonderful job, husband, parents, in-laws etc. etc. does get a little wearing - she really does overstate her point a bit here.

More surprising was the epilogue, when she reveals that her life did have its difficulties after all, later on - so perhaps she was just trying to set the scene for that. She also thanks her "ghostwriter", which she rather oddly names, so I presume she means she didn't actually write the book herself, which is a bit disappointing and frankly surprising, because I had felt that perhaps the book reflected that the author wasn't a professional writer - so to find a professional writer was in fact involved made me a little surprised the book wasn't a little better written.

Overall I enjoyed the first part of the book more, where she goes into detail about the strict training she received in the 1960s and why she decided to become a midwife. Later it become rather too much about her personal life, which to be honest was rather uneventful. As another reviewer has noted, she tells some of her more interesting stories when she tells you about her holiday in Greece, where she relates the stories to her friend on the beach - you wonder why they couldn't have been included earlier in the book, when they actually happened.

Overall a pleasant book but I was glad I found it in a charity shop - if I'd paid full price for it I think I'd have been a bit disappointed. I would buy her second book to find out what happens, but again not at full price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book showing the Job of Midwife in a new light, 18 Oct 2012
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Fantastic book showing how Midwifery has moved on and progressed over the last fifty years.
It is full of stories that will take you on an absolute roller coaster of emotions, stories of happiness as well as stories of utter grief, and shows how the job can be so very very raw as well as utterly awesome, bringing a new life into being with the barest of kit to full hospital support with doctors in attendance.
The advances that she saw during her career are fascinating, and really do show modern medicine in its best light.
Maybe not one to get though for new or expectant mothers as it is in places terribly sad, but certainly one for mothers with older children as well as Grannies and Aunties, I can see its fascination there as my mother loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very timely book, but not "call the midwife", 6 Sep 2012
Ross Boardman "Ross B" (Staffordshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not the story behind "call the midwife" but that is no distraction to the book. A young nurse trains to be a midwife in a time when midwifery was trying to establish itself as an independent profession. The ups and downs are told without trying to put a warm glow over every event.

Given the term of service of the author there is no loss of passion for her calling and certainly much pride in her recollection. This reflects an era when people did stand out from the grey anonymity of the world and could make a real difference. Being remembered for your hard work and good deeds is a great thing and really shines through in her writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good summer read, 2 Aug 2012
G. Cook "jillcook27a" (Essex england) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book is all about the amazing career of Linda Fairly, and the fact she has 40 years as a midwife.
The book is mainly about her early career, from starting out until the 1970's.
What I found lovely was how much she cares about her job, and her patients. Her stories was so nice and funny and all sorts of things in between. I really enjoyed reading it and could not put it down. There are also some nice pictures to look at, which was very nice.
Lovely book

The Midwife's Here!
The Midwife's Here! by Linda Fairley (Paperback - 10 May 2012)
3.86