4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased on a chance
Purchased this on a chance, and I was not disappointed. Interesting concept, very gritty and real. Great book, great series. Highly recommended.
Published 22 months ago by TruffleMuffin

3.0 out of 5 stars getting a bit samey
Great idea and I liked all the initial books but Im getting a bored with the one dimensional character. The violence is beginning to pall a bit because its just repetitive and the main characters are becoming superhero untouchables while everyone else is just a dweeb.
Published 19 months ago by Malcolm Roy Ash

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased on a chance, 10 Feb 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars a major departure from the earlier books, 5 Oct 2013
In this one, almost all the action is in Hell. And it is Kadrey's vision of Hell, so it has a few twists.

Does it work? Yes.
Did it progress the story arc? Definitely!
Did I enjoy it as much as previous books? Strangely no.

I think one of the things I have most enjoyed in earlier books in the series, is Kadrey's ability to combine Theology, LA culture and cynicism. This book dumps a lot of those, and takes us on a tour of Hell and Purgatory. Of course, they are surreal, but without LA, it feels like something is missing.

I wonder what is coming next?

4.0 out of 5 stars A page turner to the end. And we get to meet God. What more do you need?, 3 July 2013
*Possible spoiler alert*
Aloha From Hell is the third Sandman Slim Novel and once again Kadrey doesn't disappoint his fans. The book picks up after Stark embraces his nephalim heritage and discovers that Archangel Uriel is his father. His assistance is sought in a botched exorcism and during the investigation he learns that Mason is amassing troops to invade heaven which would mean the end of the world. In the meantime Lucifer is back in heaven and having abdicated his role, Mason has stepped in to lead the troops. Aelita tries to draw Stark into the war by plucking Alice from heaven and hiding her in an asylum in hell. The only thing Stark can do is save Alice and stop the war by using one of the Hellion Generals that's been killed and is stuck in Tartarus (a sub-hell where murdered hellions and double damned souls are sent). No one has ever escaped Tartarus and Stark's plans seem hopeless. Along the way he meets God (or rather part of God) and he gets to save the girl, the General and the universe. There's a final showdown between Stark and Mason and Stark's human form dies. His angel half separates from him and decides to go back to earth as Stark. Stark's other half is left in hell and is now the new Lucifer.
I love the Sandman Slim series purely because of its great story line, the humorous dialogue and über gory scenes. If like me you have a great imagination, it's very easy to immerse yourself neck deep in the Hellion life. The pace is quite reasonable but really picks up towards the last 20 % of the book. I was starting to worry that the author may have lost his edge and that I needed to shelf the series, but the ending really got its talons hooked into me. I'm off to read the next book in the series, Devil Said Bang.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall A Great Read, 20 Mar 2014
This book continues the amazing Sandman Slim series and Richard Kadrey doesn't disappoint. I love Stark as a character, it's like he tries so hard to be an anti-hero but comes out as a hero everytime. The first half of the book was great! Good character building going on, an interesting mystery with Hunter, however I felt that the 3rd quarter of the book dragged a bit for me, I won't go into too much detail, but the book becomes dare I say it, a bit boring through this brief period of the book. It does come back strong though in the last quarter of the book, and wraps up what I'm going to call the first trilogy very well. One little thing that bugs is me is that Mason didn't appear more, for someone who is meant to be the main villain, he's strangely absent throughout most of the book. I'm looking forward to the next book and where Richard Kadrey takes the story next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 7 Oct 2013
Started with the first book in the series and now I'm hooked on the Sandman Slim stories. This is not at all my usual kind of thing, but these books are really well written. They fly along. There isn't an ounce of spare fat in the dialogue. It's sharp,cool and witty. The plot is imaginative. All in all, I'd recommend that anyone give it a go, but make sure you start with the first in the series to get the best out of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Sep 2013
The series is now picking up speed
Great stuff going on in Hell and the plot is tightening up - playful stuff with the denizens of all domains with anarchic and snotty behaviour from the Sandman.
Thoroughly engaging read and just got the latest book, so will be motoring through the next two in the hope that Aelita gets eviscerated and shredded twice on the way down to her abominable end.
Got to like where this series is going : )

5.0 out of 5 stars Aloha From Hell, 12 Aug 2013
What can I say that I haven't already said, like this character who always seems to be in trouble but comes out well in the end

5.0 out of 5 stars On to the next one...., 28 July 2013
These are as addictive as Maledictions are to Stark. No time to heap more praise on my favourite anti hero, I've got another book to start....

3.0 out of 5 stars getting a bit samey, 21 May 2013
Malcolm Roy Ash (Aston-by-Stone, Staffs United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Sandman slim 3, 13 May 2013
I normally read serious books.

This is not a serious book. It is, however, the most enjoyable literary palate cleanser I have come across all year. The first two are worth the money too - go buy them!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim 3)
Aloha from Hell (Sandman Slim 3) by Richard Kadrey (Paperback - 18 July 2013)