4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good except...
I have Fay's first book and it has become my go to book with lots of lovely recipes. I pre-ordered this on the back of the previous book and I'm happy to say it is full of sane, simple meals that I'm looking forward to trying. The only reason for taking away one star is because of the ridiculous way the recipes are ordered. Instead of having clear sections with either...
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by Hairless

2.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke
It's interesting, isn't it, how positive reviews always seem to be voted as more helpful than negative reviews? It's as if the voters really want to like the product they are looking at and don't want to hear anything bad about it.

For what it's worth, the reason why I didn't take to this book, at all, is the almost total lack of organization. Main meals,...
Published on 21 Mar 2012 by Hunter Sza

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great cookbook, 23 April 2012
This review is from: What's for Dinner?: Easy and delicious recipes for everyday cooking (Hardcover)
This is a great book with easy to follow recipes and good results. Book arrived in a timely fashion and was a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cookery delights, 22 April 2012
Great book with great recipies which will get youngster eating everyday meals.
Straight forward cooking with easy to follow information.

4.0 out of 5 stars fay ripleys whats for dinner, 21 April 2012
a great cook book only done a couple of things from it so far but well worth the price great buy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but..............., 19 April 2012
I'm inclined to agree with other reviewers and this books downfall is the random organisation of receipes. If I fancy chicken I want to look through and see all the receipes in one place and like wise with a dessert etc. I don't want them in a bizarre days of the week order which appears to make little sense. That aside there are some really nice sounding dishes and I look forward to cooking them.

4.0 out of 5 stars cooking for kids, 15 April 2012
E. Dale "elained2" (W. Yorks, England UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
gave this to my daughter as she is a working mum with 3 young kids aged 5, 3 and 1 and she likes to serve up wholesome homemade food so this was ideal and kids loved trying all the different flavours, would strongly recommend this for mums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first one, 18 Mar 2012
FLB (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like Fay Ripley and her cook books, I have had the first one since it came out and having been initially reluctant to buy a cooking book written by an actress, I use the recipes a lot and like the format of them.

This book is no different, but it is, in my opinion even better than the first one, with more recipes that I will cook. In fact today I made the meaty meatless lasagne and it was really good - the kids thought it was delicious and so did I.

If you are like me and work full time, but still want to be a paragon of home cooking virtue, then this book might tick your boxes.....she might not be a trendy chef, but she is a very realistic one and I like that.

I may even try some of the cakes and I dislike baking a lot!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too far back to basics in some areas, 27 Mar 2012
Chappers "chappers" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is not a bad cookbook per-se. It contains a good smattering of dishes. I suspect a greater visibility of its family-focussed nature might help it out. It's hardback and contains 100 recipes that Fay has chosen to put her name to. Trouble is, I don't consider "take some natural yoghurt, take some strawberries, mush up the strawberries into the yoghurt, serve in dishes with a mint sprig garnish" to constitute a recipe as-such, nor do I think it warrants a double-page spread.

This slightly skin-deep approach, combined with a seemingly dis-organised overall layout, which finds desserts mixed in with main courses, ends up giving me a confused and rather apathetic opinion. It is most certainly not worth the RRP (very few things are), but at the right price it could complement an ideas-based existing collection of cooking resources, as opposed to a dependable tome that is at the basis of every meal.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic range of recipes, 26 Mar 2012
Debs "Little Chef" (London UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I love this recipe book. I only just got my hands on it and already I am reviewing it as I was so excited about it, I felt I couldn't wait. Fay Ripley has put together some delightful recipes in this, and all of them are fairly easy and quick and use ingredients that don't cost the earth or send you searching through the supermarkets to find something elusive that you have probably never heard of. These are down to earth recipes that don't require any special skills - anyone could make them. They are also recipes for 'normal food', the sort of food that you would eat within your home, rather than fancy restaurant meals where everything is piled up in a tower with some frothy foam spurted decoratively on the side. For people with children, I imagine the tips she gives about tailoring the recipes for babies are useful as well; I don't have children so it's hard for me to judge just how useful these are.

Her writing style is friendly and a little tongue-in-cheek, and, while I usually find this forced friendly banter annoying in a recipe book where I feel it has no place, with Fay it comes across as genuine, and so, therefore, is not annoying but rather endearing. The book is fully illustrated which I think every recipe book should be as I like to choose my food from the picture and it is helpful when preparing a dish to know what the end product should look like so that you can tell if you are doing the right thing! Perhaps the only annoying thing is the structure - for some inexplicable reason the recipes are laid out according to days although, as Fay herself says, there is no particular reason why a certain meal belongs to a specific day. I understand this structure may have seemed to have merit due to its originality, but personally I think the traditional structure of categorising recipes according to their type, makes more sense. Nevertheless, the recipes are still good and so I would not reject the book purely on the basis of its layout.

All in all, this book provides some really new ways of preparing food and I would thoroughly recommend it for both the experienced cook and (perhaps even more so) for the new cook who could do with a little inspiration when trying to work out what to cook for dinner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice..., 22 Mar 2012
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
...A lovely thick, fat cookbook with fab illustrations. You'll find nothing particularly new here but I've tried a couple of the recipes and they worked well. Love cookbooks and this makes a nice addition to my collection - I like the way it's split into days and meals - an interesting slant.
Certainly worth a look!

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 stars, 19 Mar 2012
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I loved Fay's first book and had made quite a few things from it, so I was really excited to receive her new one through Vine.

The book is divided into days rather than starters, mains etc. This, for me, isn't really a problem although I imagine it might become quite frustrating if you wanted to find a particular thing!

There are a lot of recipes I can see myself making (Hot Pesto Chicken Nuggets; Garlic mushrooms; Sweet Sticky Chicken) and there are some recipes which I like that are twists on old favourites (the cottage pie for example.) I love Fay's little comments before each recipe and the photos accompanying each recipe are lovely.

A few niggles for me. Firstly, there are probably about a third of the recipes that I will never make. For me, sardine spaghetti bolognaise sounds revolting. I also don't own a food processor, which you need for quite a few of the recipes (I'm aware I'm probably alone here!) Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, this is supposed to be a book for all the family. Fay's children clearly love pesto but I'm not sure that's typical of all children.

For me, not as good as the first one. Still some nice recipes which I'm sure will be great x

‹ Previous | 17 8 9 | Next ›