4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good except...
Published on 3 Mar 2012 by Hairless

2.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke
It's interesting, isn't it, how positive reviews always seem to be voted as more helpful than negative reviews? It's as if the voters really want to like the product they are looking at and don't want to hear anything bad about it.

Published on 21 Mar 2012 by Hunter Sza

4.0 out of 5 stars Just as good except..., 3 Mar 2012
This review is from: What's for Dinner?: Easy and delicious recipes for everyday cooking (Hardcover)
I have Fay's first book and it has become my go to book with lots of lovely recipes. I pre-ordered this on the back of the previous book and I'm happy to say it is full of sane, simple meals that I'm looking forward to trying. The only reason for taking away one star is because of the ridiculous way the recipes are ordered. Instead of having clear sections with either breakfast, desserts, certain types of mains etc. which the first one did so well, this book is in days of the week. This means that if you want a dessert you have to go through the whole book to find them all as there are a few at the end of each day, for instance you find them on pages 36, 64, 66, 90, 93 etc. and then bizarrely you get a breakfast after the dessert in one chapter! This is VERY frustrating and time wasting for a book that is all about no fuss. Please, please next time don't do this as I love the books.

2.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, 21 Mar 2012
Hunter Sza - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

For what it's worth, the reason why I didn't take to this book, at all, is the almost total lack of organization. Main meals, breakfasts and desserts are all thrown together and given a good shake so you never know what's going to be on the next page--it could be anything. This makes it impossible to browse through a selection of dinners, for example, to compare them, and to home in on what you fancy. And please don't underestimate this. As you've probably experienced for yourself, page flipping through, for example, all of the dinners in a cookbook, one after the other, really helps to get the appetite going, and helps you to choose just what exactly you'd like to make at any given time of the day. Again, it just isn't possible to do this with this book unless you flip through the entire thing every single time (either that or you get down to some serious work with a stack of post-it notes).

When the book first arrived, I flipped through it for several minutes without settling on anything before my brain finally said, 'What the heck am I looking at?' Desserts followed by main meals followed by breakfasts followed by more desserts. Rather than get my appetite going, it seemed a little revolting. I flipped back a few pages in the search for a chapter heading that might shed some light on the matter and all it said was 'Thursday'. Great. That clears that up, then.

The thing is, in her introduction, Fay herself says that you can, of course, make any of the meals on any day of the week, which instantly begs the question why on Earth bother to lump everything together under an arbitrarily chosen weekday heading, then? Why not just organize the book according to meal time which would be altogether more useful? I guess that's why every other cookbook does exactly that. And you know what they say: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

So, in trying to be too helpful, in deciding for you what to cook when (I'm quite sure that you, like me, can decide for yourself when you want to cook something), the editors of this book have ironically shot themselves in their collective foot and produced nothing more than a mess of recipes. Given that there are so many other good cookbooks available, would I recommend this one? Nope.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good selection of family friendly recipes, 3 April 2012
I. Horswell (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great selection of family friendly recipes, perfect for busy mums juggling after school clubs, kids homework etc. I've tried 8 recipes so far - they have all been straight forward and on the whole, quick to prepare. I am quite a good cook but don't have time, or the inclination, to cook fancy meals (that may go uneaten) and am fed up with variations on a theme of bland "nursery" food. These recipes have given me extra ideas to liven up mealtimes and make it interesting for us all without adding to food preparation time.

One of my kids is super fussy at the moment but I've been able to cook his meal in the same dish at the same time without any dressing/marinade etc, saving time and washing up. For example, the Tangy Chicken and Squash Tray Bake I cooked plain chicken and new potatoes for the kids and squash/chicken with dressing for the adults - a hit all round.

Some of the seasonings may need doubling for grown ups - we could barely taste the Quick Zingy Lamb Kebab seasoning but the kids rejected it immediately as "spicy" (yet they will eat a takeaway curry without hesitation so "spicy" clearly just means different)! They enjoyed assembling the wraps though so next time they'll have plain lamb. Ditto the Quick Rub Lamb Chops.

Once you've done a recipe once you may want to add your own touches to tailor the food. The Egg Fried Rice was a quick and easy hit. I livened it up with bowls of extra chopped ham and prawns for the kids to sprinkle on. We had requests for sweetcorn and cashews next time.

We rarely eat gluten and dairy due to intolerances. So many child friendly recipe books are based around pasta, pizza and cheese recipes, which I find very frustrating. The recipes we tried were either dairy and gluten free or easily adaptable. We had a lovely chicken roll up with ham and goats cheese filling (for the adults), the children just had the ham on top of the chicken. There are pasta/pizza/cheese recipes in there but they are not the mainstay of the book. The Roasted Tomato and Proscuitto Penne was delicious - a bit fussy for week nights but its a long time since I bothered to make my own sauce from scratch.

Overall, a good selection of recipes for young families. I didn't understand the organisation of the book (days of the week), its not helpful and I just refer to the back index to find a recipe.

5.0 out of 5 stars THANK GOD SHE IS BACK, 13 Mar 2012
Fay Ripley's first cook book is so warn out from over use. I think I must have tried 90 per cent of the recipes. I was so excited she was doing another book and she has somehow managed to make this as fantastic as the first which I thought would be impossible. I think her approach to family cooking is amazing and my children love her food. It is such a joy that we can all eat the same food together. I have so far made the trout in puff pastry, the fish cakes and the chicken nuggets all of which were easy to make and delicious. I would recommend this to everyone. I am already looking forward to her third book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fab book, 3 Mar 2012
Having being recommended Fay's recipes by a friend I have tried one so far - the sachertorte. I would highly recommend it as it was very, very good and hopefully a sign of other recipes to try. Next up definitely the Bakewell cake. All the recipes seem short and doable; not too many ingredients, which makes a change from other cookbooks i own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth waiting for..., 2 Mar 2012
I love Fay's first book and whole attitude to life and family. I, like her, love food but with a young family it can sometimes be a challenge putting the two together. Fay's books are full of family friendly meals for all occasions.

I've several favourites out of her first book that I make time and time again. However, I've flicked through her new book twice now and I actually think its even better! Almost all recipes appeal to me and I can see how they would work at a family level.

What Fay has over the usual celebrity chef is a down to earth and witty approach that makes you feel instantly at ease. She's one of us, not one of them! I think that's why her style and recipes feel so accessible.

I pre-ordered this book as soon as it was available based on her last book and I've not been disappointed.

Well done Fay and please keep them coming x

5.0 out of 5 stars What's for dinner, 22 Aug 2012
DCW Anthony (Paisley, UK) - See all my reviews
What's for Dinner?: Easy and delicious recipes for everyday cooking
I very much enjoyed this book. The recipes are attracive and also easy. I have made several of them - and they worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great surprise!, 24 Jun 2012
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm always wary about celebrities who try their hand at writing a book whether it's a novel or a cookbook. But in the case of this book I was pleasantly surprised from the first page.

The book is divided into 8 chapters. We have one for each weekday, Weekends, Cornershop and Sides. Within each chapter is a mix of recipes and snacks for lunch and tea as well as a few for puddings and breakfast.

Every recipe has a full page, colour picture to show you exactly what you're cooking. This is a definite plus point from me as I dislike books where there are only pictures for every second recipe or none at all.

The recipes are so easy to follow. They tell you how many people the recipe will feed, your preparation time, cooking time and it states whether leftovers can be frozen. The ingredients list is in grams (for the most part) and the steps to complete the recipe are concise and clearly numbered.

At the top of the recipe there's a little blurb that explains the reason behind the recipe or just simply tells a little story. There's not too much of this and they are fairly amusing on occasion.

Some recipes have time tips, baby biz (to make it edible for babies), storage stuff, kids stuff (to make it suitable for kids) at the end which is a nice extra.

Other than recent books by Bill Granger (Bill's Basics and Best of Bill) I don't think I've come across a cookery book where I can honestly see myself making a good deal of the recipes. The recipes are down to earth and tasty with none of the usual 'fancy for the sake of being fancy'. My mum has even borrowed my copy and I doubt I'll see it back for a while. Highly recommended for both the novice cook looking for great family meals or the experienced cook looking for something simple to whip up for the family. 5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book, 30 May 2012
This cookbook is fantastic! Haven't had it very long but have cooked a quite a few recipes from it and they have been amazing! Such a good family book with many meals that's kids and will enjoy and meals that won't leave you in the kitchen for hours! I've read some comments that do not like the layout of the book however, I don't think this is a problem at all, I quite like how it is set out. Also, Fay Ripley's humour in the book can give you a little smile!

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I Paid Full Price For It, 16 May 2012
Mrs. Roma U. F. Cox (Alresford, Hampshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I picked this book up to flick through in Waitrose while I was killing time before picking my daughter up. I already have over 100 cookery books and could not really justify another one. However, the recipes are really interesting and innovative and not ones I have come across elsewhere. I found myself putting the book in my trolley and going off to get the ingredients for a couple of the recipes.

Some recipes do need a bit of a tweak, more garlic, more lemon, that sort of thing. However, she is catering for younger chidren, whereas I am catering for my husband and daughter who have quite sophisticated tastebuds.

I haven't been disappointed with anything I have tried in this book and despite only having it for a couple of weeks there are some recipes I have gone back to already.

One tip for the sesame beef, if you like your beef rare which my daughter does, bash the steak out a little, keep it whole, then marinade it, coat it in sesame seeds and cook it very briefly, then slice it thinly - heavenly!

An absolutely brilliant and indespensible book!

I had been really sceptical when Fay brought out her first book, thinking she was just another actress jumping on a bandwagon - that was my loss for being so judgemental. I will now definitely order her first book as well.

What's for Dinner?: Easy and delicious recipes for everyday cooking