Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 September 2014
The first books in this series were heavy with character development. So much so that quite a few readers felt nothing really happened, though I enjoyed the first two myself. This book was the opposite. So many things happened in less than 100 pages that I felt cheated for having read the build up. It was a poorly written book and felt as though the author just wasn't sure what to do with all those developed characters and the many sub-plots. A thoroughly unsatisfying finish to what started as a very interesting series.

I normally really like Robin Hobb and thoroughly enjoyed her first three series. The Soldier's Son trilogy turned out to be a bit pointless and now The Rain Wild Chronicles quadrology promised a return to form but delivered a poor finish. Regardless of turning one book into two, I would have been happy enough had they been two good books.
on 30 May 2015
Robin Hobb has been my favourite fantasy author ever since I picked up Assassin's Apprentice many, many years ago now. With Blood Of Dragons, Hobb brings yet another cracking series to a close - this time focused around the Rain Wilds that have been talked about a lot in all of her previous trilogies but never as in much depth and detail as they are here.
Blood Of Dragons brings about the cultimation (for now) of a storyline that has been brewing ever since her first novel and the Farseer trilogy that followed. Though at times this latest quadology has read a little like a grown-up version of How To Train Your a Dragon, over the course of four books this series has slowly grown on me - offering up many interesting and important insights into the mysterious Elderlings of whom Hobb has spoken so much before in all of her preceding trilogies, whilst introducing us to a fascinating cast of characters that have both grown and matured as the series has continued.
Whereas up until now the central theme in all of her other books has been about her characters trying to bring about the return of dragons to their world, this latest entry instead takes a good, hard look at the possible ramifications for these actions, whilst simultaneously asking whether or not such a decision might be so wise. The Elderlings of legend too are on the cusp of returning and there is much to suggest here that this might not entirely be a good thing either.
As war bristles with Chalced and evil forces still conspire to try and secure stolen Dragon parts, the characters of this series find themselves facing some of their hardest challenges yet.
Are they really prepared to die for what they believe in? And just how far will they go to protect their latest discovery - the recently found lost Eldering city of Legend?

I have simply loved this series and much like The Liveships, it has been a grower on me. Though there are some that have described its final moments as anti-climatic, I find them perfectly fitting when put into context with all of Hobb's other books so far. Here, the story is not about big sweeping battles but instead the bigger message - things are changing in this world and quickly, and its people need to learn that in order to survive, they are going to have to adapt and embrace all that is coming.
Though the series lacks the equivalent of a Fitz or a Fool, the return of a few old, familiar faces is a welcome addition and I have no doubt that characters such as Thymara will go onto much bigger and better things in the future as knowing Hobb, I very much doubt that this is the last she intends us to see of them.
Overall, though this series has not always been up to the high standards set by some of her earlier series', this final book is one of the strongest so far. True, we don't always get the endings we might want for some of the characters (and those who have read this will know exactly of whom I mean) but this only adds an extra dimension and depth of realism to her work for isn't this often the case in life that we don't always get what we want?
Highly recommended - but more for fans than casual readers of Hobb's work.
on 16 July 2015
This is the fourth and last book of The Rain Wild Chronicles (after Dragon Keeper, Dragon Haven and City of Dragons).

In Kelsingra, Alise is at a lost. What is her life purpose now that the city is about to reawaken? She doesn’t know yet that Hest, her former husband and tormentor, is on his way to claim her back.

While hunting on the eastern bank, Thymara and Tats find remnants of bridge piles. The dragons could use them as launching platforms to fly across the river. The creatures also tell the Elderlings to find wells of Silver, a substance they need to survive.

Tintaglia is severely injured, shot by Chalcedeans. After a harrowing flight back to Trehaug, she learns that Malta and Reyn have already left. They’re on the Tarman, making for Kelsingra to beg the dragons to save their son Phron. But only Tintaglia can help the infant, and the queen is mortally wounded again on the way.

Meanwhile in Chalced, sick and starving Selden is sold to the dying Duke, who wants to drink his blood and eat his flesh to prolong his life. But the despot needs to heal him first, so he puts him in the care of another of his prisoners: his daughter Chassim. Realizing they share the same fate, the young couple become friends.

In this final volume, the exciting multiple story arcs converge to an thrilling ending. In addition, I loved learning more about the expanding mythology of Robin Hobb’s world, the Realm of the Elderlings, and was absolutely delighted to uncover tiny hints and clues to elements in her former Robin Hobb. I need to read those again!
on 25 April 2013
An excellent book and a good ending to the series, as always I have put this last book in the series down and feel a little gutted that I won't be able to read anymore about these characters and storyline.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 July 2013
This book brings together many characters from The Mad Ship series as well as The Rain Wild Chronicles. Some characters are developed much more fully, with relationships forming and breaking up. However, for me, some characters remain incomplete with scope for further development.

I do love Robin Hobbs imaginative stories and her way of placing unexpected twists within the tale. The death of one character does that, (you have to read the book to discover who this is I am afraid) a deserved end which I must admit made me laugh, but it certainly came suddenly out of the blue.

As with some other reviewers the ending of the book left me feeling a little disatisfied, like there should be more to come some how. It just seemed to stop when I still wanted more, but that could be my problem rather than the authors.

I am hoping that Robin Hobb still may have further to go. Just as with The Liveship series when the story appeared to be at an end,The Golden Fool series appeared. That series seemed to complete everything but then suddenly The Rain Wild Chronicles comes along. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that some of the characters may appear again later in another series - who knows,
on 2 April 2013
Book 4 was a fitting climax to a wonderful series of the Rain Wild Chronicles. Fantastic author; exciting story telling!
on 1 August 2013
Just like other people, I found this book slightly disappointing-but that's only, perhaps, because Robin Hobb has accustomed her fans to some fantastically high standards! The book is slightly rushed, slightly insubstantial compared to the other books in the series, and I too agree with the view that City of Dragons and Blood of Dragons should have been presented together as one book... Make no mistake, this is still a fantastic piece of writing and imagination, and Robin Hobb is, in my humble opinion, worthy of the Fantasy hall of Fame...the worlds and characters she creates are unbelievably detailed, attractive and alluring. But this particular series, one of fascinating stories, feels...rushed. And, in true Robin Hobb style, the book has a very open end. Slightly less accomplished than the Golden Fool trilogy, or the Liveship series...but still by far better than the rather strange Shaman trilogy.
Dear Mrs. Hobb, the threads of this story are begging to be still woven on...
on 1 December 2014
This book is the end of the series and as such seems rushed. The first 2 books had an almost minute to minute account of the serpents and people as they started their journeys to a new life, whereas this books timeline seemed to jump from days to months to years and then left many questions unanswered, so therefore a disappointing end.
on 6 November 2014
It is many years since I read the Live Ship traders trilogy and in many ways this is a sequel set - although you will lose nothing from the experience if you have not read the first set.

Set in the same world and following the stories of the serpents who at the end of Live Ships were struggling up the river after a delayed return . Blood of Dragons is the fourth book of the quartet and we leave our heroes both human and Dragon with their futures before them -

\the only slightly off note, without wanting to spoil the plotline is the grisly demise of one of the main characters in a way that seemed a little offhand (if justly deserved)

I rather hope Robyn Hobb returns to show us how the future turns out for the characters we have come to love.
on 2 March 2015
I had read the first trilogy twice. Once years ago and again recently in the Kindle editions and I was worried it wouldn't live up to the original trilogy. And when I first started this book my apprehension was increased as the number of new characters and names seemed more than my brain could cope with.
However once I got passed the first couple of chapters the story started to flow as Robin Hobb's books always do and almost before it started I had finished. I always have conflicting feelings when I finish a good book, pleasure I have read it and disappointment it's finished. Still there are another two books to read in the series.