5.0 out of 5 stars Great read
Not as good ad the first two , but not far off it! Really worth reading but it's a pity for the unhappy ending!
Published 27 days ago by rosie rafferty

NB: Plot and ending spoilers.

Like many other readers here, I felt compelled to write a review. This has been on my mind for days and I need to get it off my chest; I'm still having irritated outbursts whenever I think about this book.

Published 2 months ago by R. Teather

1.0 out of 5 stars I was expecting that it would (eventually) get better. It didn't., 29 April 2014
NB: Plot and ending spoilers.

Firstly, I really enjoyed the first two and eagerly read them having watched the first film. The story was interesting and held my attention, the characters were unique and likeable. Although there were tragedies and difficult topics, they were dealt with sensitively and with due care and consideration.

Needless to say, Allegiant was not like that. I persevered (had I known the ending, I wouldn't have), expecting that it would improve and fall into place. It didn't. I was genuinely upset at the end. I was left with the sense the whole book was a missed opportunity and the overwhelming feeling that I had been cheated of my time and money. I felt the characters had not received a just and well-thought out ending. Unsurprisingly, I have several complaints that made this book an actively negative contribution to my reading experience.

Firstly, we had Tobias' voice. This could have been brilliant. He's an engaging character; damaged, courageous, kind, fiercely loyal, all the things that make someone appealing in YA fiction. This was the first missed opportunity, the first hurdle at which our author had some inexplicable problem. Tobias was (amazingly) terribly boring. There was nothing distinctive about his voice. I kept having to check whether it was him or Tris, such was my confusion. I do not suffer from a short attention span, it was just poorly written (why? I don't know, there was nothing in the previous books that suggested this would be the case). He had a miraculous character change from an independent and headstrong man to a naive loser, who seemed suddenly incapable of independent will and ideas. Why would a character that is suspicious of authority and what other people tell him about himself (given he was horribly abused), suddenly believe some ridiculous category inflicted upon him by an obviously misguided group of people? Why would he ignore Tris, when he had already learned his lesson in the previous book? It is implausible and had no understandable mitigating circumstances which could justify it. But alas, this was the most minor of the offences that make this book utterly unsatisfying.

Secondly on characters; Evelyn and Marcus. Roth had done some great work here with deep, interesting plots - people with genuinely complex and difficult relationships. Did we get any closure here? No. Evelyn just ran away and Marcus disappeared without a event. The possibilities here were immense, why the cop out?

Then we had what was beyond the fence. This was a massive, irredeemable anti-climax and if I'd been a bit more cynical I would have given up and realised it wasn't going to improve, as this was probably the point of no return. The premise is a very boring, dressed up utopian idea about purity (in this case genetic rather than racial) that lead to exterminations and random experiments. There was the Purity War which was never properly explained as well as being a bit far-fetched. Even the characters seemed to have trouble with it. This bizarre context also randomly incorporated Big Brother (but wasn't as scary or compelling), which added nothing but further implausibility. It is perhaps unsurprising then that the characters were underdeveloped or poor imitations of previous ones, so I didn't feel anything about them, other than confused and disappointed that they weren't better.

The ending. Where to begin. The logic was odd, like everything else. The Bureau was a relatively benign dictatorship as far as they go and simply reseting the city did not seem all that bad, given it was a mess. The fact the characters wanted to leave in the first place suggests that they didn't care very much about what happened there, so why bother at all? They also had time to go and collect various people to save, so why not do that and leave everyone else? or notify Evelyn and Marcus so they could put aside their numerable differences to negotiate a truce in time for the greater good or self preservation? The possibilities were vast but once again missed.

Finally, I categorically disagree that Tris' 'sacrifice' was something to be particularly proud of. I understand the biblical no greater love than laying down your life for your friends etc. But nothing about this made any sense. Tris could have saved Chicago (albeit with above plot flaws) without being shot and killed by a supposed former friend of her mother's. This would have redeemed it in my eyes, I could have forgiven all of the above of Roth had granted us this; killing her was unnecessary and upsetting. It would have been better to have her injured (and make us wonder whether she was dead) and then have the happy ending we all wanted. I don't buy the realism line or excuse, nothing about this book was 'real', so why start now? I don't read fiction for realism, thanks very much, I have my own life for that. I read books for entertainment and this was not entertaining. Tragedy can be, but this wasn't, it felt unfair. After this sad demise, I kept expecting that she would miraculously survive somehow; she's a survivor after all and had beaten the odds every time. But the disappointment continued. Instead I had an ending full of unsatisfying grief (this wasn't enough in my view, Tobias was until the end quite dull) and a rubbish scattering of ashes scene. This was not a good ending. Where was the closure? What had Tobias learnt? Life's not fair, you'll never get what you want, those that love you always leave, tough luck? What had Tris learned? Sacrifice means dying for a good cause? It doesn't have too, as she had already understood. I think her parents would have wanted her to live and have a good life (doesn't every parent?); arguably they died so she could have that. Why kill her? I'm utterly mystified.

So in short: I'd avoid the series altogether or at the very least avoid this book. I wish I had. If you feel like you want to finish it, prepare to be unsatisfied and disappointed. All I got out of it was feeling thoroughly depressed and now irritated. I'm also 20 pounds poorer.

As someone else has already said, you might as well make up your own ending after Insurgent, it will be much better than Roth's strange and inexplicable attempt.

1.0 out of 5 stars what the hell, 14 Jan 2014
I have spent a week reading the divergent trilogy. The first two books were amazing and expected the last one to be just as good. Instead it was very difficult to read and didn't flow in the same way the last two did. It seemed the author rushed to write the final book and it dragged on. The ending was very disappointing if your after a happy ever after do not bother reading it.

2.0 out of 5 stars My Slant on Things, Warning Spoilers Ahead..., 3 Jan 2014
Let me start by saying that I was a fan of the first two novels. I thought they were clever yet touched on that theme of society that made novels like the Hunger Games popular, it felt secure and similar to read. Though, in my opinion not amazingly written; I was so eager to read Allegiant, and as you can see from the other reviews that surround this one you are reading, it was disappointing...to say the least.

I kind of knew that the conclusion would either be brilliant or awful, but in all honesty I don't know where I sit. I applaud Roth for having the courage to kill a main character but at the same time question whether it was necessary. Killing a main character is something that has to be done with sensitivity and foreshadow, Dumbledore's death is one that I compare this to due to the similarities between the audience of Harry Potter and this series; Dumbledore's death was poignant and necessary in Harry become independent, but here I feel it served no purpose but purging an author's curiosity. Being one myself, albeit an amateur I known the feeling one gets, personally at the end of a story I sit and think quite seriously about killing my own main character (obviously with thought to context not just blowing up a maiden in a medieval story for example) but I think Roth made a mistake.

After reading other reviews I find myself in agreement with those who didn't like the switches between characters each chapter. Four went from being mysterious and desirable to weak and displeasing. I wouldn't have minded half as much if Roth gave the guy some form of dignity and masculinity.

The plot seemed to throw open more questions than answers. Again I praise Roth for having the bravery to do so but shun her decisions and apparent laziness to do it properly. It seemed like parts were added just for enjoyment rather than to contribute to a plot. Parts of the novel seemed too engaged with overly describing feelings and emotions to the point of them being repeated...and repeated...and repeated over and over again. I don't know about you but I found myself skipping over Four's mental dilemma about his parents every chapter. I'm not really sure if it's personal preference or universal thought but I felt Roth tried too hard to be emotional and ended up neglecting the facts, surroundings and physical aspects of the novel. Rather than explaining the rest of the world's situation or at least the US 's we had to listen to Beatrice waffle on about her brother for the nineteenth time. I'm not a Michael Bay fan in book form, I love the complexity of emotions and the turmoil that loss can bring but when you feel like you are just reading the same thing over and over something has gone wrong.

Being different is fantastic, but I think Roth tried to hard to be different and ended up ruining what could have been a brilliant ending. When being different however rebellious we feel inside we must remember who will be left with the outcome. I guess what I'm trying to say is that she should have written with more care and more 'oomph' rather than going all out to shock. For Roth it seems her future is dim as she is surrounded by angry, depressed and disappointed fans and unfortunately for her there is no Abnegation Serum for her to start again with.

1.0 out of 5 stars Devasted, 6 Mar 2014
I guess I am a "happily ever after" type after all. I've never been so upset by the ending of a book. I wish I had just read the first and second book in the series.

1.0 out of 5 stars For once, I wish I'd have read the spoilers before jumping into the deep end, 26 Nov 2013
Having gotten over the initial shock of Veronica Roth pulling a "George Martin" on her readers, though far less elegantly executed, I am just feeling so ... betrayed. I think that is the only word that describes it.
The ending feels like Roth is just finding another way of saying "***K you all, I am bored with this and I don't want to write a sequel."
The dual point of view thing was exactly what has been said over and over, just Tris speaking with Four's voice. But beyond that, it was just lazy writing. I wasn't captured by anything, I was too busy rolling my eyes at the series of plot conveniences and general immaturity with which this final book approached the actual truth. It was so childish, in a way, to write so narrowly about a subject that is so complex and diverse. Also, I find it completely implausible that the bureau would be capable of hiding, for generations, for centuries even, the entire world history! Books and computers and the internet still exist, I cannot understand how they would be capable of hiding this information.
Beyond that though, the obvious bothers me just as much as the next person, I expect. It just seems ridiculous that Tris' parents died so she could learn how to die the right way - how is that selfless? Why was it not more important for Caleb and Peter to learn empathy? For Marcus to learn remorse? For Evelyn to learn to forgive? For Tobias to finally have unconditional love? All the factions had something amiss, and Roth's view, through Tobias is that this is that Abnegation forces people to not be seen etc, but I think the real flaw is this obsession with self-sacrifice. It is not that I don't consider it noble, but in this case, it is completely misguided. True sacrifice would have been to let Caleb do what he was supposed to, in spite of her own grief (honestly, her walking to her death seems like a cheap cop out) for Tobias, who, if he were real, would have needed her. She had a responsibility to him, who declared himself her family.
There's just... so many things that doesn't sit right with me. Tragedy upon tragedy but nothing that made me truly feel and when I put down the book, my first thought was: I wish I had never found this series. I want my money back.
I can deal with sorrow and death, and sacrifice a happy ending for a satisfying one. But this book, this "shocking" twist that concluded it all, just made me feel like we, as readers, just weren't worth the effort.
You declared, Veronica Roth, that you wrote this book without your readers in mind, and of course you should be true to your art, but honestly, you have just as great an obligation to the people who buy what you've created. Was following through with what had "always been the plan" as you say, so important to you that you couldn't see beyond it? You owed us more than this. You owed yourself more than this.
I think you've looked at Abnegation through Erudite eyes. There's not just one form of self-sacrifice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Veronica Roth what was you thinking!! spoiler alert***, 10 April 2014
The first two books were fantastic,Really Good, couldn't put them down!
The third book was ok at best and then went down into an absolute hopeless pit. I actually wish I hadn't read the trilogy.
I could say I wish I'd only read the first two books but its always going to be an itch you want to scratch to know how it ends, but reading the 3rd one really just makes you feel like you wasted your time connecting with the characters in the first two books, rooting for them etc. YOU DO NOT KILL YOUR LEADING CHARACTER I HATE IT WHEN WRITERS DO THIS BOOKS LIKE THIS DESERVE A HAPPY ENDING I HOPE WHEN THEY MAKE THE FILM THEY CHANGE THE ENDING

I actually really hope she writes an alternate 3rd book or at least an alternate ending, even if its not published as a hard copy and just an e-book.

1.0 out of 5 stars killed the hope, 16 Dec 2013
The first two books were fantastic,Really Good, couldn't put them down!

I could say I wish I'd only read the first two books but its always going to be an itch you want to scratch to know how it ends, but reading the 3rd one really just makes you feel like you wasted your time connecting with the characters in the first two books, rooting for them etc. Like someone else said, the ending is on par with the author ending a story with the line 'and then she woke up and it was all a dream' with how empty and frustrated it leaves you.

1.0 out of 5 stars The book was fine, but the ending!, 30 Dec 2013
WARNING CONTAINS BIG SPOILER!
When I finished reading this book I think I cried a little. I couldn't get over the ending! So I read Veronica Roth's explanation of why she thought the ending was "necessary". She said that Tris deserved a more powerful ending than just living happily ever after, and I agree with that, but I don't see the need for Tris to die completely. As she is dying Tris has a conversation with her mother, then Tris lets go and "gets drawn into her mother's arms". She sacrifices herself, truly, not just self-annihilating like she tried in the first two books, thinking it was sacrifice when really it wasn't. But here she learns how to truly sacrifice,to go to show how much you really love someone, and dies to learn that. However I think she have had something like that moment in Harry Potter and the deathly hallows when he sacrifices himself, he talks with Dumbledore and chooses to carry on living. In here near death induced haze Tris could have had a similar moment with her mother, learning what sacrifice truly is, still growing up like Veronica wanted, while then being able to make the choice to return to her living family, because she tells Caleb to tell Tobias that she didn't want to leave him.
Veronica said that when Tris almost died at the ends of the first two books, it didn't happen because it wasn't right. Well the death at the end of this book wasn't right either!

3.0 out of 5 stars It belongs in the Freezer, 25 Oct 2013
I have been counting down the days for Allegiant to come out. When it finally arrived I was so excited. But when I started to read it, I felt like the story was kind of being dragged. There was some good points in it...there was explanation of what was outside of the fence, but even this left more questions that wasn't seemed to have been answered. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen when I had about 200 pages left and when the ending finally came I just stared at the pages!! The only thing I could think about was what Joey from Friends said when he read a book that got to a scary part or upset him, he put it in the freezer and that is exactly how I felt! What a waste of an ending to a trilogy. Suffice to say, I'm not impressed. I really wish that they would change the ending for the movie!

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful last book spoiler alert do not continue if you don't want to know, 18 Dec 2013
Considering how good the first two books of the series is, I'm shocked it's almost as if someone else wrote the last one. It was boring and lazily written. The split between who was talking either Tris or Tobias you couldn't tell who it was because they sounded the same so I kept having to go back to the beginning of the chapter to check. This then turned the mysterious, deep character (Four) the one we fell in love with.....into well frankly some weak, troubled character. As for the horrendous conclusion, I thought this was a book for the Y.A category? well done Veronica for bringing all the teens aged between 13 to 18 back to the real world........I've heard the reasonings by Miss Roth of why it had to be this way and I along with hundreds of others completely disagree. I was left feeling depressed, angry and couldn't wait to buy a new book to forget about how unpleasant reading this turned out to be. So for all you readers who are thinking of reading this, this is how it will be.......Catniss Everdeen being pecked to death by a Mocking Jay........Bella (twilight saga) having her head ripped off by a random wolf.........Princess Leia eaten by Jabba the Hutt..............get my point

Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3)
Allegiant (Divergent, Book 3) by Veronica Roth (Paperback - 22 Oct 2013)
Used & New from: 3.84