5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome little Anthology
Giovanni's Farewell - Claudia Gray : A tale of twins Cairo and Ravenna who are on a school trip to Rome when they both discover they have unique abilities. Not the strongest story in the collection as I thought the ending was a bit weak, of all the places the author could have taken the story I felt she sort of bailed on the posibilities! 7/10

Scenic Route -...
Published on 4 Mar 2012 by Ms. J. Clarke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped.
Honestly the only reason I bought this book was because I found it in the bargain bucket at a local discount bookstore. I've never been a short story fan. Once I saw Carrie Ryan, Sarah Rees Brennan & Jackson Pearce had contributed stories I was a bit more enthusiastic.

Published 23 months ago by lunaslittlelibrary

5.0 out of 5 stars An awesome little Anthology, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)

Scenic Route - Carrie Ryan : This story I really enjoyed, we meet two sisters, Margie and Sally who are clearly hiding from something. They've secured themselves in a cabin but it is not clear what they are trying to protect themselves from. The mentioned "Change time" has obviously been a significant worldwide event which we find out more about as the story progresses. I felt this one had more tension and kept me interested and I was really sorry when it ended as I'd very much like to find out what happens next. 9/10

Red Run - Kami Garcia : An interesting little ghost story, I guessed there was a twist and I was right, figured what it was just before it happened but didn't spoil the story. This was a short one but the writer developed a very good level of creepyness and even in the short length I felt the characters were good and I was very engaged in the tale. The plot reminded me of the tv show supernatural which I love so this little gem of a ghost story was right up my street. 9/10

Things about Love - Jackson Pierce : In this story we meet a Jinn who wants to know how you fall in love, why people fall in love, what does it mean? This was not really a creepy one at all, in fact it was quite sweet but didn't hold any real excitement. It was pleasant enough but didn't keep me that interested. Sorry. 5/10

Niederwald - Rachel Vincent : This was really good .... from the perspective of Sabine who is a Mara, or nightmare, I'm still not entirely sure what that is but she's a real tough girl and has come to a place full of Harpies to find something...... this one is kinda geuesome and full of action. I haven't read this author before but will probably look up some of her books as I thoroughly enjoyed this! 8/10

Merely Mortal - Melissa Marr : A lovely little short story from the Wicked Lovely series. This is about Keenan and Donia and was just as wonderful as the rest of the books. This story is one of the main reasons I bought this and di not disappoint at all, just what I'd expect from a very tallented author. If you haven't read any of the series this does contain a tiny spoiler but nothing too bad. 10/10

Facing Facts - Kelley Armstrong : This is a short tale with characters from the Darkest Powers Trilogy. This was amazing I really loved it. I have the first book from the trilogy and now can't wait to get the rest. This was tense and I loved the characters, possibly my favourite from the whole collection. 10/10

Lets Get This Undead Show on the Road - Sarah Rees Brennan : I did sort of enjoy this, especially the second half and the ending but vampires are really not my thing so I guess I went into this not thinking I would like it. 6/10

Bridge - Jeri Smith-Ready : This is the first story I have read that was written in free verse and it was stunningly beautiful. This is a story of regrets, regrets that you can't undo except to appologise and help someone to move on. I didn't fully understand the ending but I get you're not really supposed to. Excellently written and very moving. 8/10

Skin Contact - Kimberly Derting : This story was just heartbreaking. I am a big fan of the Body Finder series and it was amazing to read this little story featuring Rafe, a character that shows up in the second book. We are yet to know very much about him so this was a lovely little peak behind the curtain of this character that helped me understand him a more, and learn about his traumatic past. Can not wait for the next Body Finder book now! 10/10

Leaving - Ally Condie : Very enjoyable story set in a strange future world, the author doesn't give much away and I'd be interested to read more about this world, 7/10

At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show - Jessica Verday : This was hilarious, I always know I'm going to enjoy a story that starts off with "The worst thing about canibal girl scouts is the badges" The star of this story has decided to go out hunting, supernatural style hunting, to prove to her family that she is better than just being bait! After almost being devoured by canibal girl scouts she gets rescued by a car full of vamps, and thats just in the first few pages. This was awesome and I was sad to discover that there are no books set the same as this story, I'm hoping that will change as I really enjoyed it. 10/10

IV League - Margaret Stohl : I wasn't that into this one, I'm not sure exactly what it was about. I'm all for being a bit mysterious but this was more annoying! Possibly my least favourite, 3/10

Gargouille - Mary E. Pearson : This was quite interesting, I particulary liked the ending, what Etienne was willing to do to be with Giselle. It wasn't as good as some of the stories but still enjoyable. 6.5/10

The Third Kind - Jennifer Lynn Barnes : This had me hooked within the first 2 pages, the action gets going straight away but wnough mystery is there to keep you interested. I would love to find out what happened next with Kissy and Jess, esxcellent little story! 9/10

Automatic - Rachel Caine : Set in the world from Morganville Vampires series, I haven't read any of them but this short has me a little intrigued ....... I'm not a big fan of Vampire books but might just give one of them a go and see. This short was a little humourous and quite entertaining. 7/10

Overall this is a preety impressive anthalogy, featuring some very good authors, some of which I was already a fan of and some whose books I will noe be checking out. Having not read many anthologies before this has definitely changed my mind. Its a great way to try out some new authors without commiting to a whole book and I like that you can get some bonus little short stories from series you are already a massive fan of!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled, 16 Jan 2012
Jade (Scunthorpe, North Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)
Since this is an anthology, I will be giving each story a mini-review and rating before giving an overall rating of the whole book.

1. Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Never read anything by Claudia Gray before, simply because I've been put off vampires. This definitely has put Fateful on my wishlist. I loved the way that we get basically a mini story in this one - beginning, middle and end but I still wanted more. I already adore the twins in this and it was only a short story. Gray's writing is fantastic. (Rating: B+)

2. Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
set in the same world as The Forest of Hands and Teeth, this one was gritty and dark, I was terrified for the characters despite having only just met them. i would actually like a spin-off following these characters and would definitely read it. The writing lacked a little something but the story made up for it. (Rating: B)

3. IV League by Margaret Stohl
I didn't really get into this one, I can't say that I was particularly interested in the characters or the stories and wouldn't read a spin off. (Rating: D)

4. Red Run by Kami Garcia
This one was amazing, I love ghost stories and this little short one was perfect. I probably would read a book based around but I think it would still work better as this short story. Garcia's writing is fittingly creepy and builds the suspense and I cared for the characters a lot. (Rating: A)

5. Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
This was a cute little love story. A little boring at some times, but I thought the characters and story were cute. I may pick up As You Wish at some point. (Rating: C+)

6. Niederwald by Rachel Vincent
Didn't read because I lost interest in the book series after book 2.

7. A Mortal Winter King by Melissa Marr
I love Donia and Keenen, and this was lot more humorous than the book series. May try to get back into this series now. Funny and sweet with a little angst, I liked it. (Rating: B-)

8. Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong
I was warned against reading this one because I haven't read the series and there are apparently spoilers, so I didn't read it.

9. Lets Get This Undead Show On The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
Despite not liking The Demon Lexicon because the writing was dull, I found this so funny and really enjoyed it. I would definitely read more about these guys. (Rating: A-)

10. Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
Beautifully written and so heartbreaking. I really need to read this series (I know, I can't believe I haven't yet!) This is written in free verse which is a nice change, very emotional even though i don't really know the characters. (Rating: B)

11. Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
I couldn't get into this though I love The Body Finder series. I actually had to give up a page or two in *sadface*

12. Leaving by Allie Condie
Very ambitious, I think more world building was needed. Would work a lot better as a long novel (I'd definitely read it). Fantastic concept but difficult to get my head around. (Rating: C-)

13. At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
Yet another story by an author that I didn't think much of from her book but wrote a totally awesome short story. Hilariously funny, definitely one of my favorites in the whole anthology. A little creepy, a lot funny! (Rating: A)

14. Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
Another favorite short story from an author who wrote a book that I didn't think much to. I loved the idea of gargouilles, Romantic, chilling, heartbreaking and hopeful with a fantastic setting, I loved this one. I want a Gargouille book! (Rating: A+)

15. The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
I really liked the concept behind this one, but once again I think it didn't completely work as a short story, the ending is a bit open ended and I would have liked a conclusion. (Rating: C)

16. Automatic by Rachel Caine
Set in the world of The Morganville Vampires, it follows Michael as he tries out canned blood. I kind of flipped through this one as I wasn't gripped by this short story, a bit funny. (Rating: C-)

Overall Rating: B

4.0 out of 5 stars A good way to explore new authors, 28 Nov 2011
I'd recommend reading this book if:

1. It has stories by authors you have enjoyed reading.
2. If you like to read everything by an author you like.
3. If you really enjoy the genre but sometimes are just too busy to commit to a whole book.
4. If you are looking for new authors to read but don't like to leave books unfinished (even if you don't like them.)
5. You don't want to risk wasting your money on something you don't enjoy.
6. If you are looking for a gift for someone who enjoys paranormal / urban fantasy fiction.

I really enjoyed this book. It was interesting to see the different interpretations of the journey theme. I doubt I will be getting the novels of every author in it but didn't regret reading any of the individual stories. I 'found' the book as I have read much of the published work of Rachel Caine, Rachel Vincent and Melissa Marr.

However, personally, the reason I am so glad I read this is discovering Jennifer Lynn Barnes. I absolutely loved 'The Third Kind'. I have not read any of her other work yet but will definitely be changing that. Unfortunately at the time of writing Jennifer has not written any more on the characters in the short story but I'm hoping she will as it seems like it would be a great series.

There are a few other authors I will be trying out based on their short story in this book. I think it is worth the time of a paranormal / urban fantasy reader and may lead to many more pleasurable reading hours to come. If you haven't already used it the look inside feature gives you a taste of quite a few of the stories.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of amazing authors at work here, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)
Well obviously I'd have to tackle this book a little differently due to the fact its an anthology but because of my reading slump I've also decided to review half of it now and half of it later because I seem to be getting nowhere with no book even though I'm enjoying them! How does that work? I have no idea. As each story is only a short one I will try my very best to not give too much away but this will also mean the reviews will be short too - now this makes sense!

Introduction: by Melissa Marr & Kelley Armstrong
I actually really enjoyed this introduction it was handy mostly because whilst I've heard of a few of the authors, I have only read books by Melissa Marr in the past so it was nice to get a background story behind why these authors teamed up for this perfect bundle of paranormal journeys.

Giovanni's Farewell: by Claudia Gray
Claudia Gray, author of the Evernight series which is on my wishlist, opens the book with a ghostly experience of twins Cairo and Ravenna who are different in the paranormal kind of way! Oh did I mention its set in Rome. I was thrilled this was the first story because I went to Rome last year and could relate to a lot of things being mentioned, particularly the heat that seems to be non stop. For me it was the perfect story to open the book with.

Scenic Route: by Carrie Ryan
Carrie Ryan, author of The Forest of Hands and Teeth (also on my wishlist), provides one of my favourite short stories in this anthology. Its about Zombies but never actually says that word nor refers to them too directly, its one that definitely leaves you guessing whilst giving us insight on the lives of two sisters and how they're trying to survive in the horrible world they've been left in.

Red Run: by Kami Garcia
Kami Garcia is the author of the Caster Chronicles (yep, you guessed it! Wishlist!) and we're given another ghost story, but this one is more of a horror ghost story dealing with the murder of a young boy turned human slaughtering ghost maniac! It has a twist of course.

Things About Love: by Jackson Pearce
You have the Fairytale Retellings on your wishlist too right? Well this isn't about Fairytales but it is about Jinn or Genies or Djinn, however you know them best. I haven't been introduced to these creatures before in a book so I was happy to know all about them over these short pages, I think I also favourite this story because we have a main character who isn't hetero - hooray for breaking the mould.

Niederwald: by Rachel Vincent
For those of you who have read the Soul Screams series you need to check this out because this little treat is 4.5 of the series, if you haven't read it, no need to worry because whilst a few things may start off as confusing you're all cleared up way before the end. I adored this world I visited and will be starting the series soon I hope.

Merely Mortal: by Melissa Marr
Ah. Spoilers. That's all I had screaming through my head the entire tale. I've read the first of the Wicked Lovely series and that was a few years ago, I've been meaning to re-start it this year as I have the first three books but I'm going to have to wait until these characters names are lost in my memory. I still enjoyed it though, and all the description was lovely!

Facing Facts: by Kelley Armstrong
Whilst I have a LOT of Kelley's books on my wishlist I haven't gotten any of them and I struggled a little with this story - due to being way over tired and getting confused with all the characters - but I still enjoyed it a lot, I do think having background knowledge of this series would of helped a lot though.

Let's Get this Undead Show on the Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
What happens when you leave a vampire and three humans in a locked room with only food supplied for the humans? Well this story actually, and boy I loved it.

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
This short story took a new approach to the ghost story, not only was it written in verse it was also from the ghosts point of view, said ghost was a teenager following the lives of his brother and loved ones from the other side and with the help of a female stranger was able to stop another disaster from happening.

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
I think this was easily the most tense and heartbreaking story of them all as it follows a young boy who has dreams of the future, and not good ones either. These are dreams that only provide terror and worry to any who care a lot about their loved ones.

Leaving by Ally Condie
This is the oddest concept I've read for a while, in short everyone lives inside of large globes because the outside is unsafe and one girl plans to leave to a past time, our time. Its rather wonderful really and I highly recommend seeking this story out if not the others.

At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
I only wanted The Rocky Horror Picture Show last year and its a good job I did or all these references wouldn't have made any sense! This was a weird story about a girl hunting cannibal girl scouts, I mean what an odd concept? Now you're like how does TRHPS have anything to do with this, well she then stumbles across a car full of vampires cosplaying for a Rocky Horror event haha.
IV League by Margarent Stohl
I didn't really like this story until the end, it was slow and not as exciting as the other but its about young vampires trying to enrol into schools but struggle due to their vampire state. I'm pretty sure they had a dog vampire at the end...

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
This tale was beautiful, its about a Gargouille that was capture and had their wings clipped and is loosing her memory because of it, its really heartbreaking as she's recently fallen in love too! But it has a really lovely ending :3

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
This was also one of the slower ones, it follows a pair of sisters - one who has "pulses" every now and then about certain things she has to do and this time it involves leaving in the very earlier hours of the morning for safety reasons. It turns out to be more complicated than just these pulses as others decided its murdering time!

Automatic by Rachel Caine
Last but not least we have another vampire story but this one is super amusing as its about a vending machine for cans of blood, it really tickled me this one and I really want to read something by Rachel Caine now.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enthralled Paranormal Diversions (Anthology), 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)
I myself love the idea of anthologies, as I view it as a sort of taster of what the author "has to offer", so to speak. I love reading an anthology, researching the authors in it, and ordering books by them. It is a great way of finding authors that you may never even have heard of.

Some authors use anthologies to do a sequel/prequel to their previous books. Kimberley Derting does just that, in her story "Skin Contact" and tells the story of how Rafe's (character from "The Body Finder" trilogy) girlfriend was killed; I myself, being an avid reader of Derting's worked was over-joyed to find an extra bit of writing taken from "The Body Finder" universe. Whilst other authors use it as a way to let their minds run wild and write tales that wouldn't perhaps be good (or indeed long) enough to turn into a full-book, but nonetheless need to be shared in someway. Mary E. Pearson does just that in her story "Gargouille", she gives us an incredible, heart-breaking take on love between two creatures perceived as monsters, but who are in fact "normal" people (just with wings). It ends on a cliff-hanger, and has the reader sitting on the edge of her/his seat throughout.

Although these are the only two stories that I am going to mention in this review (seeing as there are sixteen stories in total and to review them all in detail would be nigh on impossible) the other fourteen within this anthology are all of an extremely high-standard; it's just that, for me, these stories stood out more than the others for the compassion within the stories and the complex characters that you would not expect to find in short-stories.

Full list of Authors and their respective stories:

Claudia Gray - ("Giovanni's Farewell")
Carrie Ryan - ("Scenic Route")
Kami Garcia - ("Red Run")
Jackson Pearce - ("Things About Love")
Rachel Vincent - ("Niederwald")
Melissa Marr - ("Merely Mortal")
Kelley Armstrong - ("Facing Facts")
Sarah Rees Brennan - ("Let's Get This Undead Show on the Road")
Jeri Smith-Ready - ("Bridge")
Kimberley Derting - ("Skin Contact")
Ally Condie - ("Leaving")
Jessica Verday - ("At the Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show")
Margaret Stohl - ("IV League")
Mary E. Pearson - ("Gargouille")
Jennifer Lynn Barnes - ("The Third Kind")
Rachel Caine - ("Automatic")

I would highly recommending checking this anthology out, as some (if not all) of these stories are incredibly well-written and are perfect for any reader that enjoys romantic-supernatural stories.

Please feel free to check my blog out at: "[...] for more reviews.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)
the perfect way to find new authors.....this book boasts a chapter from various authors, some leaving you wanting more.......I have since widened my usual collection of authors and have enjoyed many new books.......so if you want to dip your toe into the supernatural world without reading hundereds of pages, just to be not sure or dissappointed then is a good place to start.......

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 30 Jan 2013
This book is a real fun read, it's light and fluffy but in a good way. If you are really looking for a short break from your daily life this one's for you :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Anthologies are great for finding new authors, 26 Dec 2012
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)
So my very awesome and Amazing friend sent me this book as a surprise. And she even had it signed for me!

I wanted to read this as it has some of my favourite authors in it but with anthologies I'm always wary about buying a full book for a few authors. I thought with this review, I'd give my thoughts on all the stories.

Giovanni's Farewell by Claudia Gray
Very sweet little romance story.
I've never read anything by Claudia Gray before and I really enjoyed my first story by her. I'd be interested in reading more from this world but it seems it's not part of a series or the beginning of a series so I may just pick up her Evernight series to see if I like it.

Scenic Route by Carrie Ryan
Post zombie apocalypse story about 2 sisters surviving.
Another new author for me and I really enjoyed the world she made. Plus bonus: this one is part of a series so I get to read more.

Red Run by Kami Garcia
A haunted road makes a girl seek revenge for her dead brother.
I thought this was a new author but I didn't realise she wrote Beautiful Creatures which I have on my bookcase but haven't read yet. I must bump it up my TBR.

Things About Love by Jackson Pearce
A genie tries to find out about love from a human.
I've never read anything by this author either but I quite liked this short. I liked the idea of genies researching love 'cos they don't feel it.

Niederwald by Rachel Vincent
Based in the Soul Screamers series, this follows Sabine & Emma on a road trip.
I love this series and Vincent's writing so I really enjoyed this little short.

Merely Mortal by Melissa Marr
Based in the Wicked Lovely series, this follows Keenan & Donia on a holiday.
I'm still new to the Wicked Lovely series, having only read the first book so I feel like I've spoilered myself a little by reading this. But Donia was one of my favourite characters in the book so I still liked this.

Facing Facts by Kelley Armstrong
Based in the Darkest Powers series, this has Tori finding out about Kit and putting her, and Chloe's, life in danger.
I love Kelley's writing and have recently re-read the whole Darkest Powers series so I was in the right mind frame for this story.

Let's Get This Undead Show On The Road by Sarah Rees Brennan
A vampire is the pulling factor for a boy band.
I didn't really enjoy this one, it was kinda cheesy. Thankfully only one of three that I didn't enjoy.

Bridge by Jeri Smith-Ready
A ghost finds someone to contact his brother.
The layout of this was a bit weird, it was written like a poem but I enjoyed the story. Unfortunately, the layout really was a put off.

Skin Contact by Kimberly Derting
A young boy has dreams that end up proving to be truth.
Another new author and a story that I really enjoyed. Very descriptive and well written.

Leaving by Ally Condie
A young girl lives in a society under a bubble but has a secret to hide.
Similar world to the Matched series. I really enjoyed this and liked the characters, there's potential for more.

At The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show by Jessica Verday
Young girl tries to prove to her family she can do the family job but runs into trouble.
Another one of the three that I didn't really enjoy. Again, it was because of the cheesiness - there was just too much of it.

IV League by Margaret Stohl
Two young "drinkers" try to get into college to get out of their dying town.
And here is the third story that I didn't enjoy. The story seemed good but it just didn't come across as well as it could have.

Gargouille by Mary E. Pearson
A gargoyle gets captured and gets her wings cut off, this means she'll lose her memory about being a gargoyle and all she knew.
I enjoyed this one, it was bittersweet but a nice wee read.

The Third Kind by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
One sister has impulses that she must follow, the other sister is just along for the ride - until it turns out she's part of the 'pulses.
I really enjoy Jennifer Lynn Barnes' writing and this seems like it could be a good start to a series.

Automatic by Rachel Caine
Based in the Morganville Vampires series, Michael almost loses it when he tries the new canned blood.
Another favourite author of mine so I loved this. Eve is one of my favourite characters as well so I like to see more of her.

So it seems this anthology has just made my Goodreads to-read list that little bit longer. I do like that I've found some new authors to read but I'm pretty sure my bank account doesn't. Oh well, the life of a bibliophile.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as I hoped., 12 Aug 2012
This review is from: Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions (Paperback)

Some of the stories, such as Melissa Marr & Kelley Armstrong's contribution, I didn't finish as it became clear that they were part of existing works by the author that I hadn't yet read. Or only read the first book, so I felt like I'd spoil things by finishing them. I was pleasantly surprised by a few and actually liked Red Run and At The Late Night, Double Feature, Picture Show best.

The fact that quite a few of the contributions are part of existing works makes it harder to rate. Had I not read As You Wish by Jackson Pearce I doubt I'd have enjoyed Things About Love as much as I did.

Overall there are enough good stories and I'll be a looking up a couple of authors on the back of this.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 3 Jun 2012
OK I will admit that I only downloaded this because I am a huge fan of Kelley Armstrongs otherworld series. Whereas some of the stories included were brilliant I think there were far too many that just didnt hold my interest.

Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions
Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions by Melissa Marr (Paperback - 1 Sep 2011)
5.72