on 30 June 2014
This is a very good book with lists of just about everything you could wish for. The categories are set out with the answers below. One small negative of this book is under the section Capitals. They are listed first and then the country. I think it would have been better to list the country first and then the capital. I just think it would have made for a more straightforward search. All in all, it's a very good book and must have taken a lot of hard work and time to put together.
on 17 January 2012
have tried lots of these type book but this one is the most comprehensive smack up to date,wouldn't be without it when doing my crosswords
on 21 July 2013
This was bought for my 90 year-old mother who does a daily crossword. She had been using an A-Z reference book with everything ordered by number of letters and was sceptical about this newfangled book. I've tried to convince her by helping her use it, but now admit defeat! It helps in 10-20% of cases when we get stuck. The rest of the time we can't find a relevant list.
on 29 December 2013
We already had an invaluable Mrs Bradford Crossword companion which we recently replaced with an updated version. At the same time saw this and it is already proving just as useful. It's just sad that the crossword setters probably also have one.
on 28 April 2014
This book is far more comprehensive than the pocket version and is very useful for those areas where my knowledge is limited such as trees and plants, operas etc. There is also good cross referencing between subjects.
VINE VOICEon 19 December 2012
I have rarely found myself reaching for my copy of Bradford's Crossword Solver's Lists (L). In contrast, Bradford's Crossword Solver's Dictionary (D) is indispensable. Many of the answers in L are in D too. In fact sometimes they are in D but not in the equivalent list in L. In hindsight it was an unnecessary purchase for me. L would be better if it was not pure lists because a lot are duplicated in D whereas if there was more enrichment of the lists, e.g. rivers and country names side by side, it would be more useful.
on 23 April 2012
Sent for this when I got fed up with my old set of lists as they were out of date and insufficient. This little book provides all the answers that you may require. One small whinge, why are capital cities listed an alphabetic and not word size order?
on 24 November 2013
An amazing book. I spent a lot of time producing 'Charity" quizzes and this will be immensely helpful. Well laid out and easy to manipulate.
on 6 March 2012
A gift bought for my husband who is an ardent crossword participant. He was thoroughly delighted with this publication and although he has a number of similar reference books, said it had really added to his knowledge and assistance with crossword solving. Good purchase.
on 15 June 2014
This is a good book, I am a crossword addict and I really enjoy looking up words. It's very entertaining.