5.0 out of 5 stars A Brutal but Excellent Continuation
I think it is fair to say that the books of Mark Lawrence can be described as harsh. Not in a bad way, the world that is lived in and the characters are harsh, but there is more to it than that. There have been criticisms about some of the things that happen in the book(s), that perhaps things have been a little too brutal, but that is the world.

If people...
Published 14 months ago by Perpetual Man

3.0 out of 5 stars King of Thorns
I enjoy the read, the only set back is the story is constantly going back in time. I have read half of book 2 and most of it were happened '4 year earlier' more or less getting to the end of my book it seems I am still reading something that happened 4 year earlier
Published 6 months ago by Jane Court

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brutal but Excellent Continuation, 26 Jun 2013

If people believe that the middle/dark ages - the time period many fantasy worlds are based on - were all sunlight through cherry blossom and that bad things did not happen, even disturbing things then they are living in a dream world. They were mud choked, full of blood, rape and treachery, probably to an extent that The Broken Empire books only scratch the surface.

But... these novels are not set in a comparable middle age blueprint, in some ways they have to be considered science fiction over fantasy as they are set in our own world, in the future.

I remember when I was reading Prince of Thorns (first book in the series) and I felt that Lawrence's use of religion seemed to be based on Christianity, well it was Christianity, but it grated for me. I kept telling myself it was different but I did not think it worked. Until the story unfolded and revealed that this was our world after a nuclear war. Then everything made sense.

Lawrence said it was something that was only brushed upon in the first story, but it would be looked at in greater detail in this next novel. And he was not joking, here we get some depth and world building (and a bigger map) that really lets us feel this new world, what has happened to the old as it was burned away and left behind.

There is a lot of fun guessing just where they are in the new/old world and how it compares to what we know, and there is a lot of fun in guessing just what the ancient structures that have become castles once were. And there is a lot of interest too, in the seemingly odd things, like a graveyard encased in a kind of resin just to preserve it. Was it done by accident or design, and if the later, why?

This in itself, the old world elements, from the recognisable to the more Science Fiction remnants, an AI in a 'computer' that is a 'real' man, literally a ghost in a machine, a recording of a person. These things and so many more were enough to keep be gripped to the page, but you cannot talk about a book like King of Thorns without looking at the central character.

For me Jorg of Arcanth has to be one of the finest creations in recent times. Yes, has been stated elsewhere and time again, he is a truly nasty piece of work and the fact that he tells his own story just adds to that, but it also speaks of a kind of honesty, that he is not hiding the fact from both the reader and himself. No one can be truly irredeemable, and we see some other sides of Jorg in these pages. At times he is as ruthless and nasty as he has always been, but we see little chinks in the armour, a sign that he is growing in character as well as age.

The apparent rape of another character turns out not to have been what it seems (Lawrence really keeps his literary feet shuffling as he pulls the rug from under you not once, but twice); his decision with his new very young wife shows a slightly more tender side (even if the reasons are not exactly the most noble) and the conflict he goes through when deciding whether or not to murder his baby half brother is believable and humanising. The outcome of it all is even more devastating because of it.

Yes Jorg is still ruthless, but he carries a humanity that he seems to deny but is still there.

Lawrence throws in some great action sequences that really give the book some set piece highlights, and proves to be as ruthless with apparent main characters as he ever was in the first novel. In some ways, for me, this was one of the weaknesses, with one real POV character we have little time to really come and know the rest of the cast, so when they die there is not the impact there might have been - although to be fair, when it really needs the impact it is there - but this all comes through Jorg's perceptions of the people around him.

The climax at the end it just about spot on. If I was going to say anything negative about it, then it would be it happened to quickly. That is but a quibble though. It is a superb wrap up to an excellent second novel, that is spilt over four years, with some grim revelations, some stunning world building, and a different central character. (I also liked Jorg's new queen, a more than perfect match for him, even if he has not realised it by the end of the book). There is so much I liked about it that I could rattle on forever, but that would be pointless: go and read the book!

I said at the end of my review of the first book that I felt Lawrence would grow as he continued, and I feel that my words have been justified, this takes all the promise and runs with it. Even if it turns out that this is the high point of the trilogy, the third novel will still be a special something to look forward to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ancrathian Psychopath., 15 Aug 2014
The sequel to Prince of Thorns takes the story of Prince Jorg of Ancrath and ramps up the scale, world, violence and quality of writing until you're caught in a dilemma of being unable to put it down, but never wanting it to end. The greatest triumph of the series is that of taking a central character who is a bone-deep psychopath, utterly driven by his own impulses and desires at the expense of all others and not only making you root for him - but making you actively like and want to spend time with him.
This series has almost immediately become one of my all time favourite fantasy series and easily stands comparison with The First Law trilogy and the work of Joe Abercrombie - that's the highest compliment I can pay it.

4.0 out of 5 stars easily, good enough to prompt me to try the ..., 20 Aug 2014
I wasn't 100% convinced in the quality of 'The Prince of Thorns' but it was, easily, good enough to prompt me to try the next in line; 'The King of Thorns'. I'm glad that I did because this second outing for Jorg is an improvement on what was, already, a pretty good foundation. I can't imagine that many folk would choose to start reading a trilogy with the book set in the middle so I'll assume that you're reading this because you've already read the first book, 'The Prince of Thorns'. If so, then you already know all about the slightly quirky twist to these books in that the hero, Jorg, is an utterly ruthless character who wades, hip deep, through blood to get his way. Such a character shouldn't be a hero yet it's impossible not to like Jorg and to root for him a every turn. The other factor is the delight of a hero who really is capable of doing literally anything, even completely mad and illogical actions, giving the plot line a delicious instability and a sense of jeopardy not evident in other books.

'King of Thorns', then, is just the same but with more of it. If you liked 'Prince of Thorns', then you won't be disappointed by the 'King'. This time, Jorg is a bit more mature and thoughtful in his actions but is still as ruthless and carless of the life of others and himself. Mark Lawrence still has a penchant for killing off major characters but that just adds to the sense of jeopardy; something rare in the second book in a trilogy (well, you know that he survives to the final book don't you?).

Like the first book, the story is told in a split timeframe with some chapters set in the 'now' and some in the 'four years earlier' timeframe. This can be very slightly confusing but I do like it as a narrative device. There are some new characters here and, as in the first book, some of them are very interesting indeed; no bland characters here!

My only criticism is that the level of 'magic' is ramped up in this book, to a level that I don't like. I enjoy fantasy novels in which the magic is fairy subtle and follows some rules because, once you reach the 'anything is possible' point, the hero simply can't fail as, however dire his predicament, he'll just magic his way out of it. I try not to write spoilers in my reviews but, for an example of what I mean, read the section in which Jorg gets out of a locked cell. The level of magic in this novel is quite a bit greater than in the first book and, for me, it added little to the enjoyment of the story. Similarly, Jorg manages to procure a gun from a 'ghost of the machine' who doesn't really exist; how does that work then? (no spoiler as it's telegraphed way in advance).

On the other hand, the mythical world in which this is set is fleshed out a lot more, which I liked. The fact that this world is, actually, Earth but set thousands of years in the future and after a nuclear holocaust is fascinating.

Amazon is bursting at the seams with fantasy novels like this and it's difficult for any author to rise above the tide. But Mark Lawrence does that and, through good writing and some quirky character twists, delivers a fantasy novel of the first quality. If you're faced with a choice between a few such books, go with this one.

The trilogy was set up with Jorg as a Prince and with a burning desire to be the Emperor at any cost. It is, therefore, no surprise to find that the Prince of Thorns of the first book has become the King of Thorns in the second book and that Jorg is set to challenge to become the Emperor of Thorns in the final act. I'm hooked now myself and I can't wait to get stuck into 'The Emperor of Thorns'.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Black Prince becomes a Red King, 30 Jun 2013
One of my favourite books of 2011 was Mark Lawrence's debut novel Prince of Thorns. While hotly debated and often maligned for it supposed misogyny, I found Lawrence's story of this black-hearted prince and the forces that made him who he was and which manipulate his actions still fascinating. Not only did Lawrence tell a fantastic story, he also told it in wonderful prose. Unsurprisingly, I was looking forward to reading King of Thorns, which however I didn't get to read until this past week. Discussing this second book in the series will inevitably lead to spoilers for the first, so if you haven't read Prince of Thorns yet and want to remain unspoiled, best click away now!

King of Thorns returns us to the post-apocalyptic version of our earth; an earth so far into the future that it is hard to discern the number of years that have elapsed since our time beyond 'a lot'. The world-building in the book is great. While the world and map as we know it is clearly reflected in the different peoples and the names of cities, nothing can be seen as a one-to-one translation. Even the Roma church - descended from modern day Catholicism - is but a distorted image of its origins, something which surprised me as religions tend to be rather intransigent in their tenets it seems. Lawrence shows us more of the mysterious Builders and their ancient technologies and structures that are still dotted around the world, much of which remains hidden from general view. Their technology was so advanced that it seems like magic and it remains unclear what happened to this civilisation and how the resurgence of true magic came about. We do seem to get a hint of an explanation for the return of magic. Apparently humanity thinned the veil too much through some of its technology and magic came back to our world. It would be interesting to learn more about the Empire's history.

Like Prince of Thorns, the story is told in two timelines set years apart. One of these is set four years earlier and follows almost immediately on the ending of the last book, the other describes one day in the present. I like this set up, with short chapters and several chapters in one timeline before returning to the other one. I did miss the typographical signifier used in my copy of Prince of Thorns, in which both timelines had their own fonts, which allowed you to see at a glance in which timeline you were when you came back to the book. The timelines are interspersed with fragments of Katherine's diary. I liked how these provided a view of what happened beyond Jorg's purview, even if only fragmentary, and what we get serves more to seed the clues for the eventual denouement of the book's plot than to really illuminate what's going on at the Tall Castle.

Lawrence's development of Jorg is fantastic. In my Prince of Thorns review I said that there was always a sort of hope for Jorg's redemption and while that hope is still there, redemption isn't what this book is about. In King of Thorns remembrance is the name of the game, as Jorg struggles to remember what happened in those months after he took Renar and through remembering all of his history to understand what haunts him. This places all of Jorg's kinder actions - taking Gog to a fire-sorcerer to save him from his own fires, his care for some of his brothers, and the importance he places on meeting his mother's family - ever in a wavering light; does Jorg do and feel this because he isn't the black-hearted bastard he seems to be or because he's exactly the calculating psychopath many see him as? To be honest, I don't think Jorg himself even knows, but I'm inclined to believe the former. The fact that seemingly decent men such as Coddin and the people of Renar follow him so loyally into battle can't just be from fear of reprisal?

One of the elements that garnered Lawrence a lot of criticism for Prince of Thorns was his perceived treatment of women. In King of Thorns he makes good on that criticism by including two wonderful female characters in the book in the form of Katherine and Miana. Katherine comes across as a woman who takes her destiny in her own hands, while Miana is a little firebrand. I love how she surprises Jorg at every turn and how strong she is despite her tender years. I also like that Jorg seems to want to do right by her, even going so far as to fake taking her virginity. Beyond these two, there are only a few other female characters in the book, most notably Chella, the necromancer from the previous book who makes a return appearance. Mostly, Jorg spends the book in the company of his Brothers and other soldiering men. Some of my favourites here were Makin (again), Gog, Gorgoth, Sim and Red Kent. But once again Lawrence proves no-one is safe and he had me pretty upset at least two deaths that occur in the book.

Lawrence ends King of Thorns on a reveal that left me reeling, but one that had been set up so cleverly, that I actually heard some of the pieces click in place. This tight plotting combined with some gorgeous writing - Lawrence lets Jorg see beauty in the most unexpected of things - makes for a fantastic middle book to the Broken Empire trilogy. As I said at the start of my review, I only got to read the book quite long after its publication, but there is a definite silver lining to this--the final book in the trilogy Emperor of Thorns, will be out next month, which means I'll be able to return to Jorg and the Broken Empire very, very soon.

This book was provided for review by the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read. Very Good., 13 Jun 2014
Loved the book would love to read the second! Hopefully it will be on Amazon shortly. Running out of words now, apparently I have to put in fourteen in more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great follow up to the first, 10 Jun 2014
What a sequel to one the best books I have ever read. This book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time as I was constantly intrigued by Jorg's development in this book. This is a must read for anyone who was a fan of Prince Of Thorns. Without giving anything away we are told information that Mark Lawrence could have very well told us in Prince of Thorns but instead he uses it as part of Jorg's development and produces alot of interesting plot twists from scenes in Prince of Thorns as well as giving us more detail as to what is really going on. I cant wait to start on Emperor of Thorns and I am lucking forward to see the outcome of this amazing trilogy.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome read. gritty and nasty loved it, 27 April 2014
Fantastically written. One if the best storylines I've read to date. Definitely would recommend to anyone who enjoys a fantasy

3.0 out of 5 stars King of Thorns, 3 Feb 2014
Jane Court (London, England) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent, even better than Prince of Thorns, 12 Nov 2013
Having read King of Thorns straight after Prince of Thorns I cant wait for the next book in this epic trilogy. Brilliant,

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 9 Nov 2013
A bit 'game of Thrones' light...but can't help but like the sociopathic Jorg.
Love the little glimpses into the 'past' where the present is actually in the future. I kept reading mainly to discover more of how this world came to be.

King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 2)
King of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 2) by Mark Lawrence (Hardcover - 16 Aug 2012)
10.49