Format: Hardcover|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 9 October 2011
Seven stories in a single book for the price of a single story book. Previously unpublished in book form. Previously published in magazines, and magazine in size, the stories beyond beginner level.

I loved 'The Strange Shirt Spot,' which reminded me of my own childhood misadventures. 'The Great Henry Mc Bride,' reminded me of the childlike sense of what I would do when I grew up. I never did go into space, although some might argue that point. The Rabbit, The Bear and the Zinniga Zanniga is just the type of story a child loves to read or listen to, about a clever rabbit who uses an eyelash when faced with a bear.

The Bippolo seed tells of a young duck named McKluck, who had a wonderful piece of good luck. We have the twins Tadd and Todd, and the adventure of Gustav the Goldfish, and Steak for Supper, wisdom for a kid. Previously I have bought the Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection: The Cat in the Hat / One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish / Green Eggs and Ham / Hop on Pop / Fox in Socks collection as a gift to pass on, five stories in separate books in a boxed set, which I mention here because it's incredible value compared to buying those books separately.

If you're like me I think you will love these books, whether it's five stories in separate books boxed, or seven lost adventure stories in a single book for the price of a single story book. I think it's well worth it for how much you can get, and for how little you have to pay to get it.

I know you will enjoy these wonderful stoires, and I hope this review was helpful.
on 7 February 2012
I have to confess that, whilst I obviously know of 'Dr Seuss' and his quirky rhyming style and have bemusedly watched 'The Grinch' featuring Jim Carrey or, in my opinion the more enjoyable, 'Horton hears a Who', I don't think I have ever actually read any of his books.

Now that I have read, 'The Bippolo Seed' I am amazed by Dr Seuss' extraordinary mind. These 'lost' stories have no particular theme. The first two stories, the titular 'Bippolo Seed' (a cautionary tale about greed) and 'The Rabbit, the Bear and the Zinniga-Zanniga' (where quick thinking makes up for size) reminded me of the Aesops fables I read as a child. This may also be why I enjoyed these the most! The 'Tadd and Todd', 'Gustav the Goldfish' and 'Steak for Supper' stories shows Dr Seuss' penchant for characters out of this world - maybe fans of Dr Seuss would recognise a 'Gritch' or a 'Grickle'?

I have to admit though, 'The Strange Shirt spot' and 'The Great Henry McBride' didn't quite hit the mark for me. The latter, particularly so.

Unfortunately my daughter (4yrs) was not impressed. She, nor my husband are fans of the iconic character illustration and I guess is too young to 'get' the frivolity of such books so will have to try again in a few years time.

Verdict: Overall, this is an interesting collection of short stories. It has also encouraged me to seek out more well known works of Dr Seuss. In my opinion children 6 yrs and older will be more likely to appreciate this very unique style of storytelling.
on 2 January 2013
a must for every child's night stand Dr Suess books are always entertaining and imaginative which keeps both kids and adults entertained
on 31 March 2013
I love this book. Me and my boys love snuggling up in the evenings and reading Dr Seuss and this didn't disappoint!
on 10 June 2015
If you love Dr Seuss then this is a must have book. This is an excellent collection of stories told in Dr Seuss's own way. Absolutely love this book. This book is more aimed at the over 6s but can be enjoyed by any age.
on 2 February 2016
Fabulous collection of Dr Seuss stories! What's not to love about his stories! Full of wild and wacky characters, rhyming verse and insightful tales!
Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! They say of me, 'Does he not speak parables?'" -- Ezekiel 20:49 (NKJV)

"Lost" stories by a favorite author are irresistible to me. Seuss scholar Dr. Charles D. Cohen has done us a great favor by tracking down these seven stories that had only appeared in magazines previously and helping to provide them in a better than first published form by adding better color to the illustrations. His introduction explains how the book came to be published and places the stories into the context of Dr. Seuss's career and his other stories. Thank you Dr. Cohen!

Since these stories were originally published between 1948 and 1959, don't expect his most powerful work and most polished verses. The seed of the future greatness is certainly there to read and savor in important messages. These are shorter stories than the later ones, and as such are more to the point . . . a blessing for the youngest hearers and readers.

The Bippolo Seed has a theme of how greed can cause you to lose focus on what's important in just the way a young person can appreciate (having seen many adults, I'm sure, make similar mistakes).

The Rabbit, the Bear, and the Zinniga-Zanniga demonstrates that brains count more than size and strength while having a little fun with gullibility.

Gustav, the Goldfish, may remind you of the story, "A Fish out of Water," and Disney classic cartoon, "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." I love the drawings!

Tadd and Todd is about identical twins who differ on the desirability of looking the same. The story provides great opportunities for the wonderful Seuss imagination and illustrations of whimsical things.

Steak for Supper demonstrates the fantastic imagination that children have . . . and how it can cause them some grief. This one features many fantastic creatures in the best Seuss tradition.

The Strange Shirt Spot may remind you of part of The Cat in the Hat Comes Back. The morale of the story is that it's a good idea to do what your parents tell you to do.

The Great Henry McBride takes on the subject of youthful dreams about growing up . . . with a gentle, but firmly humorous, touch.

Is this, then, the best of Seuss?
No, no one would be that loose!
But these stories will bring,
Smiles enough for a queen or a king.

Bravo!
on 11 January 2016
great compilation of unheard seuss shorts. would recommend to all, children and adults alike x
on 27 January 2016
What can I say....A must for all DR Seuss fans.
on 5 January 2016
Nicer than expected! Really happy with this.