5.0 out of 5 stars Approachable yet in-depth
I'm new to the DSLR world (new to photography, in fact) and I'd been struggling with putting together the scant knowledge I'd gained from various magazines or websites - I wanted something portable as a reference without it also covering the various settings of my camera (the manual does that!).

This book is ideal for such a purpose.

It starts off...
Published on 18 Nov 2007 by Mr. C. Harker

3.0 out of 5 stars could be better
Published on 8 Nov 2010 by J. J. Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars Approachable yet in-depth, 18 Nov 2007

This book is ideal for such a purpose.

It starts off with an explanation of how DSLR camera's work and, while I suspect most will skip that section, it is well-worth remembering that knowing how a DSLR works is vital to understand how best to make use of your camera.

It then goes on to give a brief summary of what a photographer needs in his kitbag and the reasons why.

The next section deals with general categories of photography (people, landscapes, nature and flowers) and provides you with excellent and inspiring example images from each category. It gives you information on how your camera should be setup (aperture, iso, exposure etc) - the book doesn't provide information for your camera and you will need to refer to your camera's manual (or cheat sheet) for guidance on how to achieve each setting.

After that, the book explains how to process your images using the more popular photo editing software but I feel this information was not as helpful. It would be easier to visit photo editing tutorial websites for more detailed instructions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, 15 April 2010
This book is one of the best as far as I am concerned really not too technical,I am just starting out in this very addictive hobby,I own other books and this one seems to be tailored for the beginner.
A good choice on my part...That makes a change !

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 24 April 2008
Ms. J. H. Clark "Jess CLark" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
i bought this book about a month ago. i am a 16 year old just about to go to collage and i will be studying photography. by perchasing a canon eos 400d and this book i thought i would be able to get some beckground knowlage in before i start school in september. i am absolute beginner when it comes to photography and when i first bought this book i just had a flick through the things that appealed to me planning on revising more at a later date. what i found is that i was reading parts of it every night and trying out my new skills as soon as possible. i did not know where to start when composing a picture and what settings and skill i needed to use but this book provided me with the information and inspiration i needed to compose and capture some pretty good shots for someone with my level of expertice!
i would highly recomend this book to beginers and also to people with more knowlage of photography because the inspiration it provides is priceless. the illustrations are amazing and it really helps to understand the constructions as well as the photos. it also explains how to edit and improve photos by the use of screenshots and explinations

overall... it is a deffinate buy!
and the ones on amazon are a bargain i payed £16 from waterstones!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars could be better, 8 Nov 2010
J. J. Powell - See all my reviews
I have just bought a DSLR and I was looking forward to receiving this book. However I read it in a couple of hours and I'm not sure it taught me anything I didn't already know. I would not even call myself a keen amateur but I guess I've always had a cameras and take a lot of photos on holiday. The photographs in this book are technically ok but not very inspirational. I wanted something to take me to a higher level and lift my photos above the norm.

If you want a basic understanding of digital SLR photography I would buy Scott Kelby's book 1 instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Digital SLR Handbook, 11 Oct 2010
hubby found this book very useful, he has only just brought a new camera so found this book a great help.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used book, 14 Aug 2010
Mr. Alexander Soutar (Dunfermline UK) - See all my reviews
This book was in better condition than some new ones displayed on book shop shelves. The content guided me through many of the details of digital photography and has been of great assistance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For All Serious Amateur Photographers !, 13 May 2010
When the book arived it was well packaged and was very easy to open.

When I opened the book the print quality was great, the context is very easy to understand, it is very simple but very thourgh.

The introduction got straight to the point and has a vast range of great facts, features ; all great and well written.

I am not usally a great fan of books as I dont read much but I thought I would give this a go and this book, in my opinion, is great.

It is one of the if not the best photography book I have read ; I am only just past the intro !

Thankyou for reading and I hope I have been of help.

Alex

3.0 out of 5 stars Still pretty good, 10 April 2013
This review is from: Digital SLR Handbook (Hardcover)
As this is a collins book, I was hoping for a more reference orientated book but still pretty good.
Has plenty of examples and suggestions but not quite right for me but as it didn't cost the earth, still value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality books, 5 April 2012
Constantinos Theocharides (Nicosia, Cyprus) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital SLR Handbook (Hardcover)
This is a very simple and in many ways thourough book that helps all the aspects of photography. Suitable for both the amateur and the professional photographer.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginners, 22 Sep 2011
This review is from: Digital SLR Handbook (Hardcover)
This book is clearly focusing on people who are new to photography. It discusses a wide range of topics including equipment, composition, how to take pictures of various subjects and post-processing. Nothing revolutionary or even novel, but a comprehensive introduction for people who want to move beyond taking snapshots or who want to know how they can improve their photography.
There are better books out there on most of the subjects in this book but before you start looking into books on composition, portrait/landscape/macro photography and/or post-processing, you might just as well be introduced to these topics by this book. It's not a book that you'll pick up again, after you've gone through it once though, so I'd check your local library first!

Digital SLR Handbook
Digital SLR Handbook by John Freeman (Hardcover - 4 Aug 2011)