5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this if you are sceptical, as I was!!
Published on 9 April 2012 by Indy98

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy, healthy and fun!
Needing the stimulus to lose a few kilos and having heard about this book, I read the said book, bought the (expensive) equipment and had a good time trying the various recipes and knowing I wasn't doing myself any harm - in fact I was "eating" healthily. Drinking juices composed of fruit and vegetables was highly enjoyable and I even got to the point of not drinking...
Published on 12 Jun 2010 by V. Ballinger

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this if you are sceptical, as I was!!, 9 April 2012
This review is from: 7lbs in 7 Days: The Juice Master Diet (Paperback)
Right. I am a 50 year old man, not massively overweight, naturally stocky, do irregular exercise, and eat all the usual stuff, from McDonalds and pizza to veggies and fruit and cereal. I have never done a "diet" in my life, because none of them looked vaguely appealing and I knew I would not stick to them. The closest I got was the Dukan for a week. Just got bored and didn't get the results promised.....but a friend of mine lost a LOT of weight by Juice Feasting, which, for me, looked too veggie based and extreme. So, inspired by him, I did my research and decided to do this.
It is well written (some find Jason too informal, I like it), informative and just common sense, in that "why on earth hadn't I thought of it like that?" way!! Did the program, religiously, although I did NO specific exercise as suggested, and I didn't drink any hot drinks in the morning, just water from the tap.
After 3 days I had lost 7lbs!! Could NOT believe it! After 7 days I had lost 10 lbs. I felt fresher, more awake, rarely hungry, LOVED the juices except for one which was OK, and have now gone on to the 14 day plan Turbo charge Your Life, though not so religiously. Got the app too which is brilliant value.
I did have severe headaches on day 2, as predicted, but given the amount of Diet Coke I was downing beforehand I am not surprised. But I will not be going back to chucking all the same unhealthy stuff down my throat that I have for ever, as I have been inspired by this book and Jason Vale to take more care. And I haven't had a Diet Coke or a Mcdonalds for three weeks.
If you stick to it, you WILL be thrilled with how you look and feel, I am sure!
Some people have bemoaned the cost of doing it.....well, all I can say is this; Aldi sells all these fruits at a much lower cost than Tesco or Sainsbury, as indeed do the markets. Most of all, remember this is ALL you are going to spend on food and drink all week, so a bill of £30-40 for a week seems not expensive to me.
I just thought that it might be useful for someone, like me, who is a bit older and doesn't DO diets, to read that it is pleasurable and DOES do what it says on the tin!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost 5lbs in 7 days..., 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: 7lbs in 7 Days: The Juice Master Diet (Paperback)
I bought the book 1 month ago after reading some reviews. The 7lbs in 7 Days diet has been great for me, although initially I found the regime time consuming and difficult to fit into my schedule. I work 9-5 Monday to Friday and don't have time to make juices 5 times a day. With a little organisation, I prepared my juices the night before and eventually set a routine. In all honesty, some of the recipes tasted delicious and others were a complete turn off! On day one, and day two, I felt tired and weak. I thought I might have to throw in the towel! On day three, my energy levels had dramatically peaked, but I still had cravings for chocolate cake with cream. On day four to seven, I was like a rabbit on heat, I couldn't drink enough fruit juices. With a lot of determination and will power, I lost 5lbs in 7 days on the juice diet, and felt better all around. This diet isn't easy by any stretch of the imagination.

Since finishing Jason's juice diet I've been eating 2 healthy meals per day, and for breakfast or lunch, I normally make a juice or smoothie. What's more, combined with this fantastic book I found called Superfruit Smoothies: 50 Healthy Smoothie Recipes for Weight Loss, Energy & Optimum Health I have even lost more weight, a total of 1 stone 21bs in just 4 weeks.

P.S. Get a good blender and dozens of flasks before you start the diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes so much sense, 1 Aug 2014
I wish I had found Jason's books years ago.
I bought his 'Lose 7lbs in 7 days' book three weeks ago and despite serious illness, awaiting a major op that means I'm not allowed to do any exercise, I still managed to lose 9lbs in the first week and am continuing to lose more weight.This is the first weight management programme (it's not a diet!) I've ever done where I've never felt hungry.
I had one day where I didn't have time to make my juice in the morning before work, so took 2 apples, and orange, a pear and banana to eat throughout the day but felt hungry. Being made into a juice, you would not think would make any difference but I can honestly say drinking Jason's delicious juice recipes WILL NOT leave you feeling hungry, but you WILL lose weight!
I've been on diets all my life and the reason I've used being overweight as a shield stems from my childhood.
Typical well known diets such as Weightwatchers or Slimming World never tackle the root cause of why you are overweight in the first place and that's why people like my mum have been going to weekly sessions for 50 years. Mum could have bought an island with what's she has spent over the years on weekly subscriptions, books, the company branded food because if its made by them 'it must be good, right'. My lovely mum is 79yrs old and still overweight, proof it only works to take money off you.
The last time I lost so much weight in the first week of dieting in my twenties when I was fit and exercised as well as a calorie controlled diet. It lasted 2 weeks because I was always so hungry and caved in.
This time, with Jason's motivational way of writing, combined with having help to get over my childhood issues and I'm ready to take on having a major op so I can have my life back. The surgeon told me 2 years ago to lose 20 kilos. I've prevaricated with the best but with Jason's book, juices I already know that work, in 2 weeks ( with 3 weeks and half that amount gone already) I'm ready to go on the 16 week waiting list for the op and by that time I know I will have lost more weight and be in a much healthier place.
I know Jason wouldn't have time to read reviews but I want to tell others there is hope, but unless you get psychological help with why you are overweight, you might be back at square one again.
Jason's book has saved my life and I wish I could thank him. I'm now 50 and I've wasted the last 30 years, I have no intention of wasting the next 25 years.
If like me you've done every diet and it's not worked, don't give up but think 'am I really ready to start or am I half-hearted'. When you are in the right stage of change, with this book, you CAN do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, 10 April 2008
Ms. K. clark "katiec1" (doncaster, uk) - See all my reviews
I am just coming to the end of my juicing week an all i can say is wow!! The book itself does the job explains the diet etc but the actual diet itself is amazing!! i have never felt better i have more energy an i feel so positive to continue after the week of encorporating smoothies an juices into my diet!!

im not heavy over weight just had 2 stone that i really wanted to shift for summer so i started with this book i can safely say i have lost 6lbs an feel great about it, i never followed his exercise regime to the T ie i couldnt get up at 6 to go for morning exercise but managed to exercise at lunch time in between work an also every evening either jogging or biking.

i also purchased the juice wall plan which shows exactly what shakes to have, before even starting the plan i immediatley cut out half the shakes as i knew i didnt need 5 juices a day i simply had one for breakfast one for dinner an one for tea of course with any diet there are one or two that arent the best in flavour but you know how many vitamins and minerals are in there that it powers you through!!! i have come away from the diet with 3 firm favourite drinks that i shall be having regularly!!

of note though i never purchased the wheatgrass or spinuloa i think thats correct so you may even have better results with this!!

good luck everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what is says it does!, 5 Jun 2006
If you have read Jason Vales books before, then you will know that this guys approach to writing is very casual. It's also very easy to read and surprisingly more(ish)! The first half of the book is designed to make you understand why you are juicing, why it works and why it's good for you and tries to cover just about every scenario that you're likely to use to stop yourself completing the juice week.

All that said, I felt really apprehensive about starting this diet and not eating for a week, but I couldn't have been more wrong!! The lack of food is just psychological; this plan is just about not using your teeth for a week! In fact I had more meals more regularly than I do normally. I never at any point felt hungry because the juices definitely make a meal. Some of the juices are nicer than others (as you would expect) but some juices you would think are terrible because they are full of greens, surprising turned out to be my favourites. I felt so happy with the plan, at the end of the week I could happily have carried on.

To give myself the best opportunity to succeed I tried to make things as easy as possible. I followed the plan pretty much to the letter and I made up a simple wallchart for the kitchen, although I think JuiceMaster sell these now. This really made it much easier to follow. The fruit and veg for a week cost me about £45, which is less than I would normally spend on food.

The book does exactly (if not more) what it says it does! Here's the big one, I lost 12lbs in a week and I've kept it off! I feel more energetic and much better for it. It's definitely a book that got me back into juicing. I think the book is geared more towards people who are new to juicing but if you have fallen off the juicing wagon this book is just as good for you! Get it, you'll have a much better summer after reading/doing the juicing plan!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted!!, 8 Dec 2006
M. Hayes "Maz" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I followed Jason Vale's 7-day juice diet a couple of weeks back, having put on about 10lbs over several months. I was delighted to lose 5lbs in 7 days - and it has STAYED off. Initially I found the regime very difficult - the 'detox' symptoms on day 2 (as he predicts) were the pits (but I believe not everybody has the same experience). I found that after the first 3 days or so I genuinely only felt I needed 3 drinks (you can have up to 5). In retrospect I think this regime would be better followed in the warmer months. I followed it during cold weather (November) and while I was never actually hungry, I did spend a lot of time feeling cold and lethargic for the first few days. The only real criticism I'd make is that he advocates 1.5 hours of exercise per day (30 mins morning, mid-day and evening)... which I think is too much for anybody (what about rest days?) let alone someone existing on juices. I managed to fit in about 30 minutes most days. Since finishing the 7 days, I did not then buy the 'Turbo Charge Your Life in 14 Days' plan as he suggests, but I HAVE been making juice for breakfast most days and sometimes for lunch, then having a healthy meal in the evening. I have lost about 5 more pounds as a result. The juices are tasty (once you get used to the ones that contain spirulina and wheatgrass) and surprisingly filling, especially the ones where you whizz an avocado or banana with the juice. But I found that not all of them last well in a flask as he suggests. However his JM Superjuice does tend to keep well if one makes double quantity at breakfast and puts the rest in a flask for lunchtime. Generally speaking I did feel fairly healthy on this plan because of the sheer number of fruits/vegetables and hence vitamins that I was taking in. This is not an easy option, but I found it a good way to kick start my weight loss.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a great book, but it is a GREAT programme, 26 July 2006
C. Stead (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
3 stars for the book, 6 stars for the "7lbs in 7 Days" programme.

This book is not a particularly great book. Jason Vale's style can get irritating, and theres a lot of repetition and wasted space (e.g. the pages where you're supposed to keep a diary of your experiences during the week). However, all its designed to do is get you through the "7lbs in 7 Days" programme, which it does very well. The real question is whether the "7lbs in 7 Days" programme does what its supposed to do i.e. achieve weight loss, energy gain, and kick-start a healthier lifestyle. My experience is that it does - I did this programme and lost 8lbs during the week; I have much more energy now and I'm doing more exercise than I have for years.

The book doesn't tell you anything you didn't already know (e.g. take some exercise, give up smoking and stop eating junk food. Well duh!!). Nor does it tell you much about nutrition. What it does do is get you in the right frame of mind for doing the 7 day programme, then lead you through doing it.

Reading the book is pretty pointless if you're not going to do the programme (although of course you have to in order to make that decision?!?). If you're looking for in depth nutritional information, look elsewhere.

The one thing that really annoyed me was failure to specify the number of apples required in each recipe. The shopping list says to get 39 apples, the recipes just say "apples". For anyone having this problem, the answer is "2 apples" in all cases except the 'Passion 4 Juice Master', which only uses "1 apple" (I discovered this after finding an article about the book on the Daily Mail web site; if you can't be bothered with the book this article includes all the recipes from the book plus a 7 day recipe planner!).

Also, I only discovered what a 'Wheatgrass Chaser' was after reading the Daily Mail article (you mix the wheatgrass with your juice). Having only experienced the type of chaser you have in the pub I'd been drinking the juice, then drinking the wheatgrass by itself afterwards (which is absolutely repulsive - don't do it!).

If you're going to do the programme, here are my thoughts/advice:
1. Give yourself a break. This is not going to be easy to fit around a busy job (although its certainly not impossible). If at all possible do it when you've got a week off work (thats what I did).
2. Yes, its going to cost you money. You DO need a juicer AND a blender. You DO have to buy a whole bunch of fruit, veg and supplements. You DON'T need anything else. The book suggests that the DVD/CD/Chart etc. may make it easier mentally, but you DON'T have to have them (I didn't bother). As it happens I only ended up having about 3/4 of the juices (I just wasn't hungry), thus saving a bit of cash.
3. Get a decent juicer. The books buying advice is pretty thin on the ground, basically recommending the Phillips juicer and not saying much else. However, I did buy the Phillips machine and it is very good. Annoyingly, the machine came with another (free) copy of this book!!
4. The supplements are really really easy to get hold of; use the Internet. You can get them all from the Juice Masters web site, but if you don't like that there are loads of other sites selling this stuff.
5. Don't underestimate the washing up. Its a nightmare. I ended up making batches of 3 or 4 juices at a time to avoid having to wash it all up again and again...
6. The juices do take a bit of getting used to; I felt really sick on the first day, and had to spend quite some time on the loo. However, as the book points out, this is not uncommon on the first day. Strangely enough, I didn't have a problem with 'JM's Pure Green Super Juice', which the book implies is utterly disgusting...

And finally, the whole thing was almost worth it just for the simple childish excitement I felt about having an avocado salad and using my teeth again on day 8!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 27 Dec 2006
I have always found the worst thing for my weight is working long hours as I never felt I had time to eat properly and was brainwashed into thinking I needed processed carbs to have energy. Now I have juices and instead of filling me with dread I look forward to them - I can prepare them in advance and I have so much energy. It really makes you stop wanting to eat rubbish foods. This book totally changed my mindset to food.

5.0 out of 5 stars best diet ever!, 30 Dec 2010
this is definately the best diet in the world! Tried many diets over the years lost a few pounds then put it back on, im a mum of 5 children and was at my heaviest weight when i bought this book 11st 7lbs as i'm only 5 ft i was extremely obese! I did exactly what the book said read it completely before starting juicing, after reading the book i was on a mission! It didnt actually cost as much as i thought and because it was only a week it didnt feel so bad. I work long hours so i made my juices for the day the night before filled them with as much ice as i could and put them in the fridge they still tasted good! I did miss my glass of wine at night and bar of chocolate but i didnt want to fail considering i had bought all the ingredients and i think reading the book changed my attitude towards food. I lost 9lbs in a week then reintroduced 1 meal instead of the juice and have lost altogether 2.5 stones! I believe it's reading the book that does it! cant recommend this book enough, absolutly fantastic! thanks Jason!

5.0 out of 5 stars What are you waiting for?, 16 Jan 2009
Ms. V. Roche (Ireland) - See all my reviews
I was not overweight when I decided to try this detox plan, but I was at the upper end of what is classed as a "normal" BMI. I was feeling sluggish, had a bloated stomach and was not eating the healthiest of foods.

So one Saturday back in September 2008 I began the programme. I will be honest & say that I didn't like all of the juices, especially the Super Juice which contains avocado & wheatgrass, neither of which taste good to me. My tip is to hold your nose while drinking it as this will block off most of the taste and smell (it's quite strong) then have a slice of orange or a chewing gum ready to put in your mouth afterwards to really kill off the aftertaste.

The other juices are not as bad (the ones without avocado/wheatgrass), and the Passion 4 Juice Master is gorgeous, by far the tastiest drink on the menu. Oh the Hot 'n' Spicy is fab as well, as a bedtime drink.

On the 2nd day I felt like giving up. I felt hungry, had a headache & didn't think I'd be able to keep drinking the Super Juice (it features heavily on the programme, twice most days). But I decided to keep going (possibly because I had told quite a few people that I was doing it & knew they would ask me how it went at the end of the week).

I am so glad that I did. I lost 5lbs in 7 days (I know the book says 7 but I didn't do any of the exercise recommended on the plan). My stomach went from muffin-top to flat in one week! My jeans which were fitted were falling off me, I could actually take them off without opening them!

What's more, I lost even more weight AFTER doing the 7-day plan. A total of 8lbs. And I have had no problem keeping it off, which has amazed me. My first meal after the 7-day plan was Gillian McKeith's Hearty Lentil Stew (see her website for the recipe). I highly recommend this dish - it's easy to make, quick to cook (35 mins) & you can make a large pot of it & keep it in the fridge & heat it up as required. It's yummy & filling & very healthy. Have it with chicken as an evening meal. I credit this dish with helping me to keep the weight off, because it's true what Jason Vale says - if you eat good healthy nutritious food, you will not be hungry whereas if you eat rubbish, you may feel sick/full for a while but soon enough you will feel hungry again because you have not actually fed your body.

Another tip I will share with you is a yummy smoothie which I make on Saturday & Sunday mornings (because I have more time then). Strawberries, blueberries, Rachel's Organic Lowfat Vanilla Yogurt, 4-5 large spoons of muesli, 1 teaspoon of spirulina & the juice of 1 apple/quarter of a pineapple. This will keep you full for hours. I rate spirulina very highly, it's great for preventing snacking. Weekend is the time when you might feel like being less disciplined, but this smoothie will help.

If you don't already have a juicer, get a Philips one, the 7-day book is free with some of the models. The juicer is an investment so well worth the money. The supplements will last ages so even though you have to splash out first time you do it, you will be able to use them the next time you do it, and probably the time after that again. He only recommends doing it once per season. The only one I continued to use after the 7-day plan was spirulina.

Well I have waffled on for long enough. To sum up - it's only 7 days, accept that you may struggle & feel like giving up especially the first few days, accept that some of the juices do not taste great, but do it because you will be glad you did. The feeling of elation & achievement when you stand on the scales on the morning of day 8 will make it all worthwhile. It kills cravings for junk food & will set you on the path to lose even more weight and KEEP IT OFF! Back in September I said I would not do this programme again (that's how I felt on day 2) but guess what - I am doing it again starting on Sunday. I'm not doing it to lose weight this time (because I haven't gained any since last time), it's more of an after Christmas cleanse.

So, what are you waiting for?

7lbs in 7 Days: The Juice Master Diet
7lbs in 7 Days: The Juice Master Diet by Jason Vale (Paperback - 10 April 2014)