4.7 out of 5 stars1,215

on 2 July 2014
I really enjoyed this autobiography. Knowing little about John Bishop apart from what I had seen on television I was not sure whether it would be the type of book that I would want to read, but I found it enjoyable funny and most importantly honest about himself and all that he has done.
After reading the book I did feel that John Bishop was the kind of person that I would like to meet, and would not be a totally different person than is depicted in the book. As an example of what can be done when you put your mind to it then this is a book definitely worth reading. Thoroughly deserved 5 stars.
on 2 October 2014
I could be famous – and before you say ‘yeah, yeah’, I really believe it. I’m a singer. I’ve been in a band for eighteen years and also perform solo. I’ve performed all over the UK, in Spain, Portugal and France. I’m probably at the same stage Bishop was when he was trudging the circuit: successful, but only relatively. Trapped in fame’s Green Room, a place called ‘semi-pro’.

So what’s preventing me? Probably the same things that might have prevented Bishop, had the cookie not crumbled like it did.
Like Bishop was, I would be considered too old (I’m a few years older than him) for meaningful success. Also like him, I’m a dad of three boys, and I have a job that’s well paid enough to make me think twice about jacking it in to perform for peanuts in front of three men and a dog, with no other income to fall back on. I’m no Scouser (his accent almost precluded fame), but could be thought of as a little posh for showbiz.

Of course, a big difference is that John’s marriage collapsed, and this event provides the most potent answer to the overall question his book poses. However lonely and low he became as a result, release from marriage meant he had the time (midweek anyway) he needed, together with an almost self-destructive drive to pursue his life in the way that, deep down, he knew he wanted to. This was the catalyst which led him to find an outlet for his pain in the form of the Frog and Bucket.

The most emotive parts of the book are where he describes his struggles, first as a child in a loving but tough family in an equally tough neighbourhood, then much later on the stage, often standing-up to all but empty auditoria and relentless hecklers.

Bishop is a down to earth man, who never takes his fame for granted, and knows it could evaporate as quickly as it materialised. The entertainment industry, and in particular those in TV land, doubted his ability to succeed. But the public ignored their prejudices and embraced him for who he is, not who he isn’t – and therein lies hope for us all.

Recommended.
on 17 November 2013
When my signed copy of the book arrived in the mail from John I couldn't wait to crack the spine and start reading it. We have been friends a long time and I was familiar with much of the story throughout our twenty-year friendship. My wife read it before I did and her giggles made me want to get it into my hands quickly. When I was turning the pages reading about his childhood I learned much more about the John I know today. His candidness was wonderful and I so enjoyed reliving many of his experiences in the written word. I remember seeing him in a small comedy club in Manchester way before he was famous and knew he would grace much bigger venues in the future. Some of the funnier chapters for me were his travels as I was lucky enough to be a part of them as I am the 'Yank called Joe' he met in Istanbul. Personal connection aside, I think the book is a sobering yet uplifting testament to the ability of people to rise above and beyond their wildest dreams. I highly recommend the book for it's inspirational value, the fact that it's a book about a good man following his dreams and not letting his stardom change his best qualities are all just more icing on a very nice cake. Well done John!

Cycles of a Traveler: True Tales of Voyage, Discovery and Synchronicity
on 2 January 2015
I have been a huge fan of John Bishop for quite a while now. When I first found out he was going to have an autobiography coming out I was excited, to say the least. The only disappointment I had was that it took me so long to get the book.

Throughout John Bishop's autobiography you get a real sense of understanding and appreciation for the man behind the jokes. It's not every day that you come across a celebrity who loves what they do without feeling the need to brag about it. I find John keeps it real. He takes you on a journey through his life and you begin to see that he's not like most celebs - he actually did things before he became famous. He talks about his family, his stumble into comedy, his bike ride across Australia and his Sport Relief challenge with passion and pride.

I did feel that he put maybe a bit too much thought and attention to his earlier life than his comedy career but I didn't for one moment find it dull.

I loved the moment when he cracked a joke about the ex-wife's, in the earlier days, only to then find her face in the audience staring back at him. I found myself, like I do when he's on the TV, laughing constantly.

The book is thoroughly enjoyable and definitely has a huge dose of John's humour in it.
on 6 December 2013
I bought this book because l like John Bishop the comedian. But this is not just the usual celebrity book just written to show how good they are. John has a story, because he had a life outside show business, and it is a story well worth reading. He is an inspirational man who took the line "if you don't try it you will only regret it later" to his heart and shows if you want something hard enough you can do it. I thoroughly recommend this book it is an excellent read.
on 13 January 2016
I really did enjoy reading John Bishops autobiography. I thought it may be the sort of book that I would pick up, read something else, and then start again but definitely no, I became quite immersed. I like John as a comedian, especially when there is nothing very crude in his act and I liked the way he told his story. He portrays his early life well and and it is obvious that from a young age he had a great sense of family. That has never diminished and although his own marriage went through a very rough time indeed, thankfully both he and his wife were strong enough to put it back together. There is no doubt that his own family are everything to him. He is so much more than just a comedian, rising to so many challenges. The only bits of the book that I found I skipped a little were the one or two chapters on football. Don't let that put you off, even if like me, football bores you stiff, there is so much more to this book. If you think it is going to be all about the success he has found and show biz, well no. Laterly in the book, more of the struggle to get there. I would recommend. A good and very interesting read, a very interesting life, honestly told.
on 9 December 2013
I have been watching this book since its release, waiting for the price to drop before purchasing. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, from John's childhood through to the current day. He tells the story in a sympathetic and engaging way which is easy to read and hard to put down. Some fantastic funny moments later on in the book which he recounts in his usual humorous fashion. I would highly recommend this book.
on 2 December 2013
Very good book! I thoroughly enjoyed it. Saw a different side to John Bishop. I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good autobiography.
on 26 January 2016
I have to say that I enjoyed this book. I don't normally read autobiographies, however once I started to read I just wanted to read it all. I found it an interesting g read which appears to be an honest account of how he has got to where he has through hard wor, fate and some very difficult decisions. Would I be in a different position now if I had made more difficult decisions ( although I have made some and I am happy with my lot) yes I would.

I have read some reviews and feel that they are talking about a different book?

I liked the fact that I could hear John's voice narrating the book as I was reading it. In an instant he also had me crying - the part about the dead schoolfriend brought back some memories for me involving a young boy and a car accident near our home whenI was young. These things stay with you!

Overall I think that we would get on with John and his family, down to earth no airs and graces, honest and values friendship!

Well done, and I hope that your career continues for some years to come.
on 16 October 2013
What a fantastic book I could not put it down. John has had a fascinating life & his book is so well written. He makes you laugh even about everyday situations. This is a feel good factor book.