5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I will read this year
Published on 21 Feb. 2013 by BookAddictShaun

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending
I was disappointed with the ending ,big build up then a big let down unless there is going to be a follow up? ( PLEASE)
Published 19 months ago by Suebean

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I will read this year, 21 Feb. 2013
BookAddictShaun (England, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Trap (Kindle Edition)
I first discovered Kimberley Chambers last year when I read The Feud, the first in a trilogy. I then read the following two books over the course of a week finishing the last book at 6 in the morning as I couldn't go to sleep until I had reached the end. I have read her other books and I really enjoyed them however the trilogy was just fantastic. The Schemer was the next book Kimberley wrote after completing the trilogy and after the move to a new publisher and whilst that book was fantastic I thought the trilogy was still her best work. Then last week I was introduced to the Butlers, and that all changed. I could easily have read this book in one sitting however I have dragged it out over the last week and I have to say I think that made me enjoy it more because it's like when you watch a TV show which ends on a cliffhanger, if you watch all the episodes at once there's none of the excitement of waiting for the next one.

The families created in the Mitchell and O'Hara trilogy were fantastic however the Butlers were something else. Before the release of the book Kimberley's publisher created videos and teasers which were then posted on her Facebook fan page, this was actually such a great idea and really made fans want the book even more. It also meant that we felt like we knew the characters before starting the book. Kimberley has created such a fantastic cast of characters here all of whom felt incredibly realistic and believable. Queenie and Vivian were just amazing, two typical East End women, hard as nails and not a pair you would want to mess with. Vinny and Roy are the two eldest brothers running a club and dabbling in crime. Vinny was an absolutely evil character and the best character in the book. He is such a complex character who I really enjoyed reading about. Just when you think he can't get any worse something else happens in the book leaving you gobsmacked. Even though the book had so many characters they were all really easy to follow unlike with some books where you can't keep track of all the characters. However it was Donald I hated the most, no actually it was his son Christopher. An absolutely spineless moron.

Kimberley really captured the setting as well and the whole thing felt incredibly realistic. The pubs, the locations, Whitechapel, the mentions of music etc you really felt as if you were inside the story with the characters. Kimberley's books also have lots of humour in them and there were plenty of funny moments in this book. She definitely has a way with words and that really helped bring the characters to life.

The book read like a TV show or a movie and I didn't want it to end. I found myself nearing the end of the book and dreading it as I have read a few chapters each day trying to prolong my enjoyment of reading the book and I am devastated at having to wait till January 2014 to continue the story! Kimberley definitely knows how to leave readers wanting more with the endings to her books! And this one was no different. I can't wait to read about the Butlers again and for the inevitable time jump where we will be introduced to all the children that were born or conceived in this book. I honestly didn't think the Mitchell and O'Hara trilogy could be beaten but it has, and by miles. Of all the gangland novels out there by the likes of Martina, Jessie Keane etc this is one of, if not the best of the lot. Kimberley just keeps getting better with each book she writes, and she just so happens to be a lovely lady too. I bought a copy of the book for someone I knew who loves Martina as I constantly tell them to read Kimberley's books but they never get round to it. Well they read The Trap and can't wait to read the rest of Kimberley's books. Kimberley deserves to be top of the bestsellers list as this book is miles ahead in quality than some of the crap at the top of these charts. Roll on 2014 is all I can say... I just wish I lived closer so I could get my book signed, a trip to Romford in 2014 methinks.

5.0 out of 5 stars She's done it again !, 28 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Trap (Butlers 1) (Paperback)
Due to various family illnesses, I wasn't able to start this book until today - because I knew that if The Trap was even half as gripping as the other books by Miss Chambers, I'd have to read it in one go.

Half as gripping? Twice as gripping! To begin with, I thought this might be "more of the same", but after about 3 chapters, I realised that it was going to be another late night, because I HAD to finish it. I remember listening to a radio programme where the authors who were interviewed all said you had to have a "hook" on the first page, so that your readers would feel compelled to carry on reading. I am just one of the many fish who was caught hook, line and sinkler, and then reeled in!

As someone who grew up in the post war in the East End, I can identify with many of the landmarks that are mentioned, and many of the characters reminded me of neighbours from the old days. I have to visualise the characters quickly, and Vinny immediately entered my imagination as Martin Kemp, about 20 years ago, while Queenie and her sister were slightly taller versions of Barbara Windsor!

Kimberley Chambers books are like a multi coloured jumper, with different strands of wool knitted together to form a fascinating pattern. There are numerous families whose paths cross and interweave before coming together - with startling and thrilling results. That's why I prefer to read her books in one go, because having sorted out the various relationships in my head, I can keep them there - though I always read the book twice, at least!

The Trap is a wonderful, original and gripping story, and, like others, I am bloody angry at the thought of having to wait a year for the next instalment. Once again, Kimberley Chambers has proved that she's not a one-trick pony, but the winner of the Grand National!

Carry On Kimberley!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kimberley Chambers' books just keep get better and better, 26 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Trap (Butlers 1) (Paperback)
Kimberley Chambers' books just keep get better and better. This is a must for anyone who likes suspense, action and a rollercoaster ride of a reading experience. Can't wait for the next book ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Meet Kim Chambers....she's a LEGEND!, 14 Feb. 2013
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Trap (Butlers 1) (Paperback)
In KC's latest book we get to meet the wonderfully nutty family The Butlers. Having read all of Chambers books you get to the stage where you wonder what she is going to come up with next. Thankfully she still has a head full of ideas and crazy characters that had me both laughing and gasping in shock at the same time. Vinny and Roy Butler are the apple of their Mum Queenie's eye. They can do no wrong, even if they do operate outside the law. IN the early part of the book we get introduced to a lot of characters. At first I felt like I couldn't keep up as there were so many, but luckily I got to grips with everybody well before the first quarter of the book. By the second half of the book I could see why Kim had created so many characters as it makes for a very interesting read!!!

There are also numerous characters that add another layer to the story which stretches over the following months and years. Vinny, Roy and their younger brother Michael are quite different. As their younger brother Michael starts to make more of an appearance as the story progresses I realised that he was one of my favourites. This book has so many plot threads going on but it's easy to keep up as you become engrossed with the different families involved in different elements of the story. It's actually pretty hard to review parts of the story as it could be a major plot spoiler. The main element to this story is Vinny Butlers dangerous personality. He's a man that's used to getting his own way, and when he starts to make bad decisions, it's his own family that he ends up putting in danger.

By the halfway mark I knew it was pointless putting the book down, so finished the last part in one sitting. At the end of the book I was bloody fuming. Not only has Kim Chambers written another corker of a book, but she has ended on a brilliant high with the reader having more questions than answers. I had to sit back and really try and think which of my KC books my favourite was. I fell in love with the Mitchell and O'Hara's and was sure that they would remain my favourites, but then she released The Schemer. I am still torn as to whether I prefer The Schemer, the Mitchell/O'Hara books or this newest addition The Butlers. My conclusion was that if they were all that close that I struggled to call it, then they were all bloody brilliant.

Absolutely no complaints from me as Kimberley Chambers continues to prove why she should still be sitting at the top of the pile with others crime writers such as Mandasue Heller. With this new release on 14th February 2013 and Mandasue Heller's new book on 31st January, fans of these ladies are in for a treat. The only thing you might find is your frustration levels will increase the nearer to the end of the book you get. Knowing we have to wait another year for the next instalment is agony! Roll on the next one...

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great EastEnd crime family, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Trap (Kindle Edition)
I received The Trap from a goodreads giveaway. I had previously read K.C's Billy Jo so had wanted to read more of her work so getting it in the post was great.
It took me a while to get into but when i did i couldn't put it down. The Butler family are a typical EastEnd crime family with old school morals and are loyal to each other to the death (literally). Vinnie Butler is the eldest son and the most manipulative evil peice of work you could imagine, but at the same time tries to be the best son, brother and father he can be. With a drunk womaniser for a father Vinnie has to become the main provider for the family and does it the only way he knows how; through crime, but those good intentions soon turn into greed and bitterness. Woe betide anyone that gets in his way of becoming the biggest and baddest of the underworld.
I can't wait for the next one

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, 10 Aug. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read and hard to put down, 12 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Trap (Kindle Edition)
Easy to read and hard to put down. Gripping story about the underworld, murder, violence and treachery.

The beginning of the book was not promising at all. After reading several pages I thought I’ve got the wrong book, it will be difficult to master it and finish it. This was mainly due to too many characters introduced in the first few pages. The bad language dominated throughout the book. Using too many east end slangs, however reading it on a kindle is a bonus as I could use dictionary if required.

The story is based in Whitechapel, East London. It is all around a crook family, The Butlers and the repercussions of the eldest son’s, Vinny actions. Love, hatred, killing and morals are all entwisted in the book. It’s probably a good reflection of the underground world, gangs and their lives and corrupted police. Funny enough it seems, every women in the book got pregnant.

Very disappointed with the ending as there wasn’t one. Throughout the book I was expecting that the good will prevail and the evil will be punished. That didn’t happen, on the contrary, Vinny, the bad guy seems to be winner of the story. There was no ending to the story, no conclusion, it simply abruptly ended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another page turner, 2 Mar. 2013
JM (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Trap (Butlers 1) (Paperback)
This was a good read but I didn't think it was the author's best. I did enjoy it and will certainly buy the follow up but I preferred some of her other books.The trouble with this book (and the same with her previous novel The Betrayer) is that the majority of the characters are so vile that you don't really care what happens to them. There are some that you do feel sympathy towards but they are the more minor ones.
But, the story fairly rattles along, it's never dull, and once it gets going, it's difficult to put down. There's certainly lots of potential storylines for the follow up(s) as so much is left open. Vinny Butler is the real villain of the book and he really is truly awful. His mother Queenie is a dreadful character too, she's fiercely loyal to her family and will do anything to protect her children, even if it means covering up terrible crimes.
Vinny is locked in battle against various characters, and always on a quest for revenge against some unfortunate individual. As the years go by he is involved in some heinous crimes, meanwhile the rest of the Butler clan are left to pick up the pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, 2 Mar. 2013
Alan M. Scopp "almsco" (Vienna, Austria) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Trap (Butlers 1) (Paperback)
I have read all of Kimberley's book and can honestly say this is the best one to date. I don't know how she does it, but she comes up with truly evil but also believable characters who could easily have existed in the East End which I also happened to grow up in. Its really amazing how much research she puts into her books. The pubs and the street names and lots of local stuff which I and many others recognize. And even if you don't come from the area, this book as her others as well, will give you an idea of what the East End was like in the days of the Kray twins and their rivals gangs. Yes there are a lot of open ends at the end but that is what writing a trilogy is all about. The Harry Potter books or the Lord of the Rings books also had lots of open ends. The idea is to keep the reader in suspense and that is exactly what The Trap has done. Tbh I cant wait for the next one so get of your bum Miss Chambers and get writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Brilliant, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Trap (Butlers 1) (Paperback)
Well what can I say Kimberley Chambers has done it again, I have read all of Kimberley's books, and I can honestly say she is on to a winner yet again...a real page turner, so sorry when this book ended cannot wait for the follow up!!!! The Family in The Trap draw you in from start to finish....Well Done Kim....

The Trap (Butlers 1)
The Trap (Butlers 1) by Kimberley Chambers (Paperback - 14 Feb. 2013)