on 25 February 2009
Quite simply the best De-En/En-De dictionary I have ever used (and I don't work for Collins either!). Easy to read, no confusing abbreviations, well laid out (and in colour) and plenty of examples of the words in use in the language. This gets my best recommendation.
on 12 March 2009
this compact dictionary is excellent if you are a beginner; there aren't as many words as in a normal dictionary, however every word is preceded by its article and accompanied by examples of common expressions to use, so you immediately learn some simple useful sentences; graphical layout is very easy to read, unlike some bigger dictionaries that are crammed with print; besides, its price makes its value for money unbeatable
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 September 2012
We used this German dictionary for my son's first two years of German lessons at secondary school.

The first part of the book is German to English, followed by English to German. Sandwiched in between as a section of 14 useful topics - such as writing a letter, jobs and hobbies, keeping fit and healthy etc.

However, now we have been advised by school to buy the Oxford Learner's Dictionary to use during his GCSE course - and at first glance the dictionaries are pretty similar and you could easily get away with either. However, on comparing the two more closely side by side the Oxford version does slightly have the edge - particularly in the German to English section - the layout and handy hints are a lot clearer and easier to follow. Nevertheless, still a good dictionary and we will keep this one, as there are bound to be times when we need to refer to a second source over the course of his GCSE studies.
on 12 November 2012
I bought this dictionary for a 12-year-old just starting to learn German at school. It is entirely suitable for a beginner of this age as well as for adults. It is much more than a traditional dictionary, with additional sections on grammar, writing e-mails etc. It uses colour, underlining and shading to make particular entries stand out. There are plenty of example phrases or sentences showing how a particular word in used. In addition there are 'language tips' beside some entries to help the learner write or speak in German, or translate into German. In places there are also 'did you know' points which tell you something about Germany.
on 25 December 2012
I am just starting to learn German, so I'm writing the review from this perpective. I can't comment on it's usfeulness of otherwise for advanced students.

It starts with a few pages and an ongoing quiz, explaining the rules of grammar. There is also a verb table in the middle of the book. This explains how verbs change depending on the context. Thus, fahren is to drive/to go. However, the word will change depending on how is doing the driving (me, you, her, she, them etc)- the middle of this book lists the different versions of the word. This is useful, although for complete beginners I think it might be useful to become comfortable with the rules of German grammar and the concepts (gendered verbs etc) first. Other books can help that.

There is also a small phrasebook type thing in the middle.

The dictionary is clear, and states the gender of the noun alongside the word, which is handy ( eg, armchair is male, so "Der Sessel" etc.) There is an english to German section too.

Overall, this book is excellent to help you learn German, but doesn't quite stand alone, although it isn't meant to be a "stand alone" book.

Be sure you get the most up to date version, the one I bought was seventh edition, 2012.
on 5 November 2011
My grandson was very pleased with this - says it is the same as the school uses, so must be suitable. Easy to read and gives pronunciation as well
on 12 December 2013
English to German = I have been self learning German for 4 years now and am very slow. I have used many books and tried different systems of learning the language and have to say that this dictionary has proven an excellent source for referral- not only for the words themselves but the contexts in which they are used, the gender, and many examples of use in the various past, present, perfect etc etc etc. which i found in particular difficult to get into. Since buying this particular dictionary I find I get quite absorbed, having looked one word up it leads me to others and so on and I find my memory is improving through this type of exercise. I would fully recommend it to anyone especially those at the beginning of language learning;

I also think that the other half of the book German to English will be equally helpful to those learning English.
on 20 October 2012
This is a fantastic dictionary for new learners of German. It makes the meaning of the words clear, gives gender and plural and is very easy to use.
It also gives explanations of the grammar and words and phrases in context. All beginners should be issued with it.
on 9 October 2011
This was the recommended dictionary for my daughters GCSE class and I'm glad we purchased it instead of a cheaper alternate. Amazon once again had the best price and swift delivery. The book itself is printed on good quality paper, not tissuey in nature like other dictionaries, however the downside of this is it makes the book quite heavy causing us to have to buy a second copy for at home to save her hauling it to school and back each day with all her other books. As a student just beginning german she also found the centre section most useful.
on 14 December 2011
I bought this book (along with the Collins Easy Learning German Grammar book) and both are excellent - the important/most common words are highlighted which is very useful if, like me, you are trying to learn German with no prior experience in the language and have no idea which words to start with! For many of the common words it also gives example phrases showing you where and how to use the words.

Very good value and, once again, it arrived before the estimated delivery date - thanks Amazon!