Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 September 2012
I have read a few of Tess's novels but this one is 5 stars by far. It is a enjoyable read & will keep you gripped. I love that the ending where everything comes together & the truth comes out. I didn't guess at all right with how this book ended. A shocker i thought! Good luck, it's worth it.
on 9 August 2012
Surreal, spooky, scary......sat up till 3am reading this! Tess Gerritsen gets better and better. Yes, it's unbelievable in the cold light of day- aren't some of the best books in the history of literature? If I want realistic, I'll read non-fiction. if I want thrills,I'll read Tess!
on 10 March 2011
This was my first Tess Gerritsen and one of my first forays into crime writing - and wow, I was impressed! Gerritsen delivers a taut medical thriller that had me glued to the pages from the start. When the teenagers of the ironically-named lakeside town of Tranquility, Maine, are gripped by a wave of murderous violence, new town GP Claire is determined to find out what's behind the almost superhuman levels of aggression in the seemingly possessed adolescents. Casting aside the arguments of the locals, who seem to be more intent on holding onto their town's image as a haven for tourists than saving their children, Claire must do everything in her power to find a medical cause for the crazed killing and mindless fighting - particularly since her fourteen year-old son Noah is at risk too. Is it drugs? Some local pathogen? A chemical spillage of some kind? And could it be linked to the spate of similar violence that the town has been trying to forget for nearly fifty years? Whatever it is, the race is on to put a stop to it before it's too late...

I found the novel haunting, chilling and utterly compelling from start to finish. Every time I had to set it down to do something else, I found myself thinking about the terrible events that had happened so far, and trying to piece together all the clues to work out what was happening. It is a testament to the book's strength that it pervaded every waking moment so thoroughly, and I found myself completely caught up in the excitement as the pages flew by, gasping with shock one moment and welling up with tears the next. At the same time, Gerritsen balances the horror of the town's predicament with a dry humour, which was very refreshing and helped keep the story feeling grounded and human; it stopped it - and the reader - from getting too swept up in its own darkness. Highly recommended!
on 1 August 2012
Hello
I havn't done a review before, but I really enjoyed this book, I read it in two days, which with two chidlren on summer hols, means a couple of late nights, but really worth it. great stuff.
on 24 September 2012
Tess Gerritsen knows how to write a compelling addictive novel, where she gets her ideas is beyond me. Bloodstream is one of her best novels yet, fast moving and very clever, read it it is fab
on 15 September 2015
Newly widowed Dr Claire Elliot has left a successful career in Baltimore to move with her son, Noah, to the small resort town of Tranquillity, Maine. After the death of his father, Noah had fallen in with bad company and run foul of the law. Claire had decided that a move to Tranquillity would make for a fresh start for both mother and son.

Then the violence begins. One of Claire's teenage patients opens fire in his high school biology class, killing the teacher and wounding several students. His parents blame Claire for taking him off a medication prescribed by his former doctor, Claire is certain that something else led the boy to commit such a terrible and unexpected act, she suspects something is affecting the behaviour of the local youth population. Are they being affected by drugs, or is it some natural occurrence? Claire even begins to wonder about a parasitic infestation.

When a historically similar situation is uncovered, the town is divided between those who want to hide the information because it could kill tourism income (most of the town), and those who want to discover the cause and save the kids (the police chief and the new doctor in town)!

Overall, Bloodstream is definitely worth a read. This is the first time I've read Tess Gerritsen and I'm sure that it won't be the last.
on 15 October 2012
Bloodstream is a medical detective novel with an interesting story-line and interesting medical/scientific facts. Perhaps not one for late at night but a really good and absorbing read
on 14 January 2013
I have read most of the Maura and Isles series but not for a while. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed her style of writing and ability to form characters that actually seem real.
Bloodstream has a clever plot that involves weaving many inter-realted stories from the past and present and from the various families in the town to gradually bring to light all that is behind the mystery. Tess has to explain the science behind what is causing the outbreak of violence in the town of Tranquility whilst keeping in mind that most of her readers won't have a science background and she does this very well. I like that the perspective of the very young the adult and the elderly are all considered and that there is a good balance between suspense, love story, tragedy and light humour.
I have still to read the final chapters but so far this novel has been engaging, well thought out and beleivable. I will definitely start up from where I left the Maura and Isles series now and get reading The Killing Place.
I would recommend this to any crime fiction fans and especially to those who haven't read Gerritsen before as they will want to read her other books having read this one.
Plea to the author: Can we have another book featuring the characters in Tranquility please?!
on 19 September 2012
I started reading this book and very quickly realised that I was going to do very little else until it was finished!! A really good read and yet another amazing book by Tess
on 28 September 2012
Read a number of Tess Gerritsen thrillers, must say this is one of the best. Good story and a satisfactory ending. Will look whether there are any others I haven't read.