on 22 November 2011
I absolutely loved reading this book. I am a massive Downton Abbey fan and when the second series finished thought I needed something to read to get my Downton fix. I am interested in the real lives of people in this era but also the actual production itself so this book was perfect. I can devour novels but ususally get bored with factual books. I actually expected to read just parts of it, look at the pictures and flick through it when I fancied. I didn't expect to read it from cover to cover like I did. I couldn't stop it was so interesting. Brilliant book, really enjoyed reading it.
on 3 January 2012
I love history, & have been as enthralled with Downton as anyone else. This book is fascinating & well worth a read for Downton fans. The book really made me appreciate the true attention to detail of the producers- even going so far as to commission an insignia for the buttons of the uniforms of William & Thomas when they went off to war! Amazing!

The only negative to this book is the very irritating way it is laid out. As you try to read the main text, there are little side pieces & separate articles & pictures interspersed throughout. This means that if you want to follow the main text, you are flicking page by page to pick it up, & then flicking backwards to read the side articles. This does not in any way hamper the content of the book, but does make it a bit irritating to read in a long sitting.
on 13 February 2012
When I ordered this book, I was expecting the usual making-of book, comprising pictures of set and cast, and practical explanations about how the movie was made (I had the making of "Pride & Prejudice" in my memory...).
Actually, this is a true history book, but in the best sense of way: captivating, beautifully illustrated (gorgeous pictures of the characters), researched, well-organized, wonderfully presented... and much more! I loved that the author mixed real historical stories and facts with Downton Abbey's world. This is very smartly done, and makes the whole show even more credible.

Finally, I could add that it is all the more well written that English is not my mother tongue ;)

If you are a true Downton Abbey fan, you should get your copy without delay!
on 18 February 2012
This is a delightful book full of details and observations of the time in which 'Downton Abbey' is set.It expands our knowledge and understanding of the era and uses many wonderful photographs to do this ,both contemporary and from the series.
It is a book to dip into both for entertainment and to glean interesting facts about life at that time. It will make re watching the series an even more enjoyable experience as well as being a ' launching pad' to learn more of this era.
One criticism I have is that ,beautifully produced as it is, it is very heavy to handle and carry around.I suppose it is meant to be a' coffee-table' book which is a pity as that restricts its use. I really enjoy it.
on 21 September 2011
I couldn't wait to receive my copy of The World of Downton, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. It's packed full of information on the story lines and characters, pictures and behind the scenes stuff. The book itself is pleasing to look at, as the title of this review suggests, stunning.

It would be a great addition to any bookcase and certainly something every Downton Abbey fan should own.
on 4 February 2012
A wonderfully crafted book about the place, the people and the era. Some recent criticism about the veracity of historical content completely ignored the fact that the drama series is a fiction. Who is to know exactly how people in general would have reacted to the events facing inhabitants of Downton Abbey? Although the location selected as a setting is real, the events are the figment of a great writer's mind. Ms Fellowes has compiled a fascinating and enjoyable insight into the dramatic series, giving us a fine portrait of each of the main players' characters as well as an enchanting look at Highclere. A perfect companion to the series for the serious devotee.
on 3 December 2011
Firstly, I must say what a beautiful book this is, the glossy photos of the cast are stunning, and make you want to pick it up and have a good flick through straight away! Not only does this book contain quotes from the cast about their thoughts on the roles they play, but the book is split into chapters which cover historical content on war, society, fashion, the house & estate (not forgetting the real family that occupied Highclere castle)and much more besides. The book is well written, with a foreword by Jessica Fellows and extracts from the scripts. Overall, a fantastic book to compliment the TV series, would highly recommend.
on 11 January 2012
If Downton Abbey made you want to know more about this period of history, this is the book for you! Watching Series 1 made me realize how (shamefully) little I know about WWI and the events which lead to it. This book addressed that. In addition, I'm an American, and therefore not well versed in British society and rules. This book gave more society background. I also loved hearing actual stories that Julian Fellows used or used for inspiration for Downton Abbey. The book is so well written and very easy to read. If you couldn't stop watching Downton Abbey, I'm afraid you may have the same reaction to this book. I sure did!
on 29 January 2012
I thought this book would just serve as a companion to the wonderful tv series. But I found out that it is a piece on its own. Full of interesting information about that period of time, not just historical but also including many interesting aspects of every day life. I enjoyed reading that many of my favorite passages in the series come from real events passed onto Julian Fellows by his family or acquaintances. This explains why we find we can relate emotionally to these fictional characters. This book is made with love for a lost era which is important if only because it is the roots of what we are to become later.
on 9 November 2011
This is such a brilliant book to accompany the series. It was bought by my mum for herself but I ended up claiming it. I started by just opening at random pages and reading, this was possible because along with the main story it also had individual pages explaining costumes, characters and the real people they are based on.

I would recomend this to anyone who is a fan of the show, but also to anyone interested in the time period as it shines some light onto the period, you genuinely get a feel of what life was like back then.

Beautiful pictures, great quotes from cast and writer.

Can't recomend it enough.