2,272 Reviews
 (1,768)

4.0 out of 5 stars The series so far...
I have just finally finished the last available book of A Song Of Ice And Fire and as this is one of the best series I have ever read, I thought I'd write a review and post it for potential future readers. Since I made the mistake of reading some of the reviews on here and unfortunately came across a massive spoiler which ruined a huge plot development for me at the end...
Published 23 months ago by A. Pieterse

3.0 out of 5 stars Incredible book, poor edition
As advertised, this is an incredibly good book - believe all the hype and purchase it immediately!

My one gripe is the format of the Kindle edition which is literally covered with typos e.g. 'Tf' for 'It', 'boh' for 'both' and quite frequently 'bum' or 'bumed' for 'burn' or 'burned'.

My suggestion, as this sort of poor quality production detracts...
Published on 30 May 2011 by Sebastian

‹ Previous | 1181 182 183228 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like fantasy, this is a must-read book., 3 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This is one impressive tale,tight,well told and full of surprises.I've read a lot of this genre and nothing to date has fixated my attention like this work. Great characters,rich in depth and detail,a hard driving plot,incredible intrigue,and a willingness to show the harsh brutality that was medieval life. The only other books that have come close lately would be the 'Sword of Truth' epics put out by Terry Goodkind,the main difference being that Martin has made little use of magic thus far.He makes up for it however with a tale of conspiracy and subterfuge reminiscent of Clancy or Forsyth. If tales with complex plotlines confuse you then stay away from this book to everyone else I say ENJOY,ENJOY,ENJOY !!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Mar 1999
By A Customer
In all seriousness, I had major doubts when I picked this book up. I thought that Robert Jordan couldn't be rivaled. I was wrong to a certain extent.
Actually, there is no real accuarate way to compare A Song of Ice and Fire to The Wheel of Time. George R.R. Martin, unlike RJ, seems to delight in shocking his readers. His plot runs smoothly with shockers left and right. This man knows how to set a mood and play around with it. Martin knows how to toy with people's emotions.
The characters are very nicely portrayed. Although I don't think of Martin's charcters as friends, like I do RJ's, he definitely has a firm control over them. These are not your typical action or fantasy heroes and villians. It wasn't until last parts of the book that I was able to figure out exact how the alliances run and to establish a hero-villian relationship. Even then, you don't really think of villians as "villians," but rather, heroes that took a wrong turn.
Excellent book. If you're a hard core fantasy reader who likes character/plot developments, this is it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling masterpice I neglected my family to finish!!, 3 Mar 1999
By A Customer
Wow!!! I picked up this book at random, only to be blown away by the characters. I've read many novels in this genre with similar elements (swords, knights, dragons, wolves, etc.) but none has put them all together quite this way before. Some of the situations are startling in their originality. The characters all have a wide story arc, and great depth. Bad characters are redeemed, good ones degrade into cowards or traitors, minor characters later become pivotal, I was kept interested and guessing all through it!!! The dialog is also superb, and you really begin to champion certain characters. I can't wait for the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one amazing book, 25 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I was just startedreading fantasy when my brother gave me this book as a gift. By the time I was half-way into the first chapter, A nuc wouldn't have stopped me. I would read until my parents made me go to bed, and I would be up befor dawn reading. This books is one of the best fantasy out there. It rivals Glen Cook and Robert Jordan. If you want to read a good book read A GAME OF THRONES!

5.0 out of 5 stars Possibly the best fantasy book I have ever read, 24 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I have read hundreds of fantasy books from all the great authors and I believe this to be the best that I can remember. I would go even as far as to say it's better than Tolken. The leading characters of A Game of Thrones haunts me [why I cannot truly say here] even yet that I hunger for the second book. Clearly the writing is good, but George Martin puts something deeper here which raises the storyline to higher levels than even the great fantasy writers sometimes fall down on. An unmissable book.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changes the landscape of the best epic authors, 21 Feb 1999
By A Customer
After reading this book, as well as his second one, "Clash Of Kings," one realizes that some of the other authors are no longer great, but only good. Terry Goodkind, and Robert Jordan each write admirable stories, but neither they, nor other epic authors ever take the chance of making their characters truly real. There is instead something eternally pristine about them. This is not the case in Mr. Martin's series wherein characters are jealous, petty, vengeful, lustful, and most of all, personable. There are heroes, and there are villians, but in this storyline, there are characters who cross the imaginary line, i.e., villians doing charitable acts, and heroes commiting acts unbefitting them. This series is well written, and contains a level of complexity and political intrigue that is not often found in the fantasy realm. This is not your normal good/evil, rescue the princess story, it is better than that. And for all of it, it is still a fantasy novel, with characters akin to knights, rangers, queens, kings, and a fair amount of secrecy. Enjoy the other epics certainly, but take your time to enjoy this one, and you will begin to understand how the face of epics is slowly changing.

5.0 out of 5 stars If fantasy can be brought to life George R.R. Martin can., 17 Feb 1999
By A Customer
Realistic, at the edge of your seat suspense. Can you say anything else about this book. I swear, I look to see if the second book was out before it was out. I may have been angry at the author for not writing his second book any sooner, but great sequels take a lot of time to make. I can't wait to read the Clash of Kings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The one series, above all others, I wish I'd have written., 17 Feb 1999
By A Customer
I first began reading fantasy about thirty years ago with Lloyd Alexander's Prydain series, an introduction that would make any reasonable person a lifelong fan of the genre. In the thousands of books I have read since then, only a very few enchanted me (pardon the pun) the way The Book of Three did; Zelazny's first "Amber" series, Saberhagen's "Empire of the East", Donaldson's Thomas Covenant series, and now, cresting above its predecessors, Martin's Song of Fire and Ice.
A Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings, collectively, currently reign as the all time champ in my personal fantasy rankings. I tried to decide if it is merely the newness of the series or some other quality(ies) which distinguish it from all the rest. I think it's the latter. I wish I could think of something more clever to say than "the writing is just so damn good", but that about sums it up.
These are two of those rare books that create that annoying, glorious internal struggle of striving desperately to get to the end of a book while simultaneously dreading the fact that the book is going to end.
I wind up with a new favorite character almost every chapter, then change my mind back to an old favorite the moment he or she is revisited. The story flows, takes clever twists, and Martin absolutely refuses to have a character behave in the manner we expect; not because the character is inconsistent, but because the character is alive and doesn't know how to act like a stereotype.
So now I begin the interminable wait for the final book in the series, and already that conflict is in my gut. I can't wait for the book, but I dread its coming and the end to a wonderful reading experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best read out there!!!, 14 Feb 1999
By A Customer
The reason I love this book is that most of the characters are real 3 dimensional people with virtues and vices. In additon the way Martin shifts the narration of the story allows you to see the characters from more than one point of view and this gives them a further depth. Characters who seem simply good or evil usually turn out to be much more complicated.
The magic and fantasy is very understated in this book, but most importantly it is the characters who drive the story and the plot not the magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, a brilliant inception!, 11 Feb 1999
By A Customer
It will be very difficult to put the beauty and scope of this work into words. Imagine yourself stepping into a time machine and traveling to the Middle Ages or the Crusades and being inside the heads of everyone from the key player down to the servants and little people. This is what you get when you read Martin's A Game of Thrones. Martin has managed to weave an epic so incredibly complex, and yet so easy to read and follow, that before I read this book the concept of such an intricately told tale and such a realistic world had never occurred to me. You have all heard the praises for other authors about "real" seeming worlds that they have created, but never before has it really been done until A Game of Thrones. From the characterization to the grandeur of the battles to the intimate feelings between lovers and enemies, Martin includes everything that can be asked for, and yet manages to make every bit of it believable, which is in short supply in today's world of five-cent fantasy authors. Bravo! Winterfell!

‹ Previous | 1181 182 183228 | Next ›

A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones
A Song of Ice and Fire (1) - A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Paperback - 31 Mar 2011)
3.85