4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Dictionary
I had been waiting for a good price on this particular dictionary. So when I saw it pop up in the Lightening Deals I pounced.

Yes it's a dictionary but it's much more than just a dictionary. The extras, and there are many, make it a real gem of a book. I've spent many a happy hour browsing through this deep sea of words. It's so easy to get lost.

If...
Published 4 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Collins is my dictionary of choice because it provides phonemic transcriptions of all its listemes. I'm sure other publishers must do a better job with their Kindle editions, though. The entries for verbs inconsistently list participles, for example, and the design of the pages could be clearer. As a result, I only use Collins' Kindle edition when I am travelling and...
Published 1 month ago by Philip Adams

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Dictionary, 5 Jan. 2015

If I was to have one grumble it would be that this dictionary comes without a dust jacket. Yes the cover is beautiful as is but when you're hauling the substantial weight of the book in and out of shelves it is handy to have a dust jacket to bear the brunt of the pain. It is a hilariously minor quibble.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone needs a dictionary, so why not own the biggest and best?, 13 Jan. 2015
OK, so I realise that these days, most people will rely on spell checkers and when they need to check a definition, google the word of interest.

However, to me, there's nothing like thumbing through a dictionary and picking out words I've never seen before and adding them to my vocabulary. I'm probably a bit strange for doing that, but why buy a word-a-day calendar that tells you 365 words that may be new to you when you can buy a 2,340 page dictionary full of them?

The dictionary itself is well made and sturdy. The pages are very thin, but they need to be to keep the thickness of the book down. Plus I can now say I have a copy of the largest English language dictionary still in print on my bookshelf!

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a gift for my Mum who loves crosswords ..., 8 Jan. 2015
This was a gift for my Mum who loves crosswords, she is in her late 70's and was a wee bit frightened by new word content at first, However she loves it now after exploring it's many interesting contents and I no longer wish to send it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars just perfect, not too big and not too small, 2 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Collins English Dictionary (Paperback)
I find it very useful for teaching my students who don't like very chunky heavy books. Yet this is also very handy for adults to keep in their study when they need to quickly check the definition of something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulously-modern Dictionary!, 26 Dec. 2014
It was the dictionary I have been waiting to be published in months. It has taken me ages to find a decent and not-forgetting, a beautiful dictionary that's up-to-date with new words. Fabulous addition for any writer or person interested in finding a modern and beautiful dictionary in print.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only one complaint..., 17 Dec. 2014
This is everything I would expect of a new Collins except I don't like the change to a faux cloth cover that harbours dust and marks easily. Might be more acceptable if it came with a paper sleeve for added protection as previous editions used to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought to replace an ancient edition and is just what I expected., 5 Mar. 2013
W. Osborne (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins English Dictionary (Paperback)
I do a lot of crosswords and find this invaluable. The edition it replaced was falling apart and it is great to have new pages with new words with simple definitions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality of hard cover, 15 Feb. 2015
Good quality of hard cover. Sleek design and of course great contents. Arrived quickly. All as required. Bear in mind that the cover collects dust that is not easy to remove due to its structure, so better to keep behind locked shelf/cupboard or glass when not in use.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Grown up dictionary, 7 Feb. 2015
This dictionary is a step up from the Concise Oxford Dictionary that I had been using (for crosswords) for 20 years. The review has lost one star because page 1121/1122 has been caught in the book binding machine (I presume) which has left the page torn and crumpled.

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeping it Clean!, 5 Jan. 2015
This is my third Collins Dictionary. This edition has a black linen-type cover which through constant use is going to become rather grubby over time. Is there a plastic cover which would keep it clean? I'd be ggrateful for any suggestions.

Collins English Dictionary
Collins English Dictionary by Collins Dictionaries (Paperback - 7 April 2011)