5.0 out of 5 stars DIY at its best ...
Published on 14 Jun 2011 by GB

3.0 out of 5 stars Usefull
This book is a useful guide - I bought it to help me prepare for jobs around the home. You can see that there has been an attempt to make the book relevant to people today. I would not use this book as my only source of info - but it's a good general first step.
Published 6 months ago by Vectra32

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY at its best ..., 14 Jun 2011
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I bought my first copy of this book/manual over 15 years ago and decided to update it to the newest version and was not disappointed. This manual covers everything that the p/t or serious DIY person needs to know. I have found it especially useful in areas such as wallpapering, electrics, damp/condensation and plumbing. It has saved me thousands of pounds over the years. The book itself has not changed much - in fact it uses some of the original pictures still but the layout is updated as are some of the building regulations and it includes more energy efficient sections and information about energy-efficiency labelling as well as a section on solar heating! It has many useful tips and even a section on tools and what they are for and how to use them correctly. The section on electricity, for example, explains how to measure electricity (Amps x Volts = Watts) which is useful when doing re-wiring or adding to a circuit so that you do not overload it! It even tells you about the "zones" in a bathroom where only certain electrical appliances and cables can be installed - a great way to be prepared for any builders doing any work and making sure that they are being compliant. I cannot over-emphasise how good this book is and would highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for every homeowner!, 5 Dec 2013
smartyPants "Smartypants" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Length:: 2:39 Mins

Thinking about hotel rooms where there is usually a copy of the Gideons New Testament - this book is a MUST for every home!

It is a really well laid out book, covering EVERY DIY job in the house that you will ever come across. Perfect present for someone buying their first home. Hope my video review was useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely vital for anyone with any interest whatsoever in DIY........., 12 Aug 2012
IOWBOY - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
The first thing I'd like to make clear is that I own an earlier edition of this fantastic book; due to it's phenomenal success it has had several editions, mine is 2001 version.

I have chosen to offer a review of this edition because firstly I have had access to this most recent edition and can confirm that there are very few differences of note, a few changes in building/electrical regulations and some aesthetic improvements; and secondly there is more chance of my review being of some use to a prospecive buyer if it is alongside this most recent version.

I will start my review by making a few things clear.

Firstly this book has encouraged me to learn more about, and taught me more about, DIY than anything or anyone in my life.

Secondly, even though I have many books with a great deal being used regularly, no book I own (or have owned) has ever had as much use or suffered as much abuse as this one.

Thirdly, this book has saved me so much money that it has paid for itself literally dozens if not hundreds of times over.

Finally.......... I absolutely love this book!

Lets start with the basics, it's a big book; 552 pages, hardback, heavy and solidly bound (as it will probably need to be!).

The book is basically broken down into the key areas of construction and DIY, for example plumbing, electrics, carpentary, decorating etc; and the key areas of the home, such as living spaces, bathrooms, kitchens, gardens etc.

The book guides the user from the foundation stage up and literally offers the fundamental techniques to build a house from the planning stage (obviously some additional advice and help may be required!).

The book is full of photos and excellently produced illustrations that make the jobs so much easier to understand.

One difference between my earlier edition and this revised, updated and most recent volume is that most (if not all ) of the photographs have been replaced, many new illustrations added, and the books layout and navigation system modernised and improved.

As previously mentioned my edition was published in 2001, and that is more or less when I purchased it; even though I am fully aware of this books level of content, I have purchase additional books on various DIY subjects since. That is because this book ultimately offers an overview, albeit an extremely detailed one, so it is likely that more speialised reading material may be required for some of the more 'complicated' tasks. I have no doubt that at some point in the future I will upgrade my trusty old copy, but it's got a few more years left in it yet I hope!

I could go on describing the various elements in more detail and offering further praise for it's brilliance, but I think I've made my point.

This is a superb book that presents amazing value for money (even at it's RRP of 25.00), it is almost required reading for anyone with more than just a passing interest in DIY. It will ultimately educate, encourage and motivate, inspire and potentially save a great deal of money, and even your life (remember, DIY can be dangerous!).

5.0 out of 5 stars Collins complete DIY manual, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
Very good and up to date. Clear explanations are suitable for those with no or extensive DIY experience. It would be excellent if people (particularly some landlords!) read this before starting their own DIY work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than it looks, 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I got a suprised when I opened the Amazon package for this book - I thought this would be a smallish paperback with black-and-white diagrams. Scroll back up and look at the description! 550 pages, hardback, packed with colour diagrams. There seems to be topic after topic on all kinds of subjects I would not have expected, from complying with building regulations to pest control to soundproofing. This book is excellent value for money!

*cough* Yet to fix anything though ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY without the SOS!, 28 April 2011
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I found this book really helpful. The pictures guide you through tasks clearly with concise and helpful text. I feel confident to tackle more DIY jobs around the house while having a better idea of when to get the professionals in.

5.0 out of 5 stars DIY Manual, 27 Mar 2013
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
Very good book. Everything is well explained both with words and pictures. Planning a small extension and haviny spent time reading through relevent sections I am sure this book will be invaluable.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE HANDYMAN'S BIBLE, 14 Feb 2013
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
The best DIY Book ever, and I've had a few over the last 50 years. The most explicit yet about everything to do yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 26 Nov 2012
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
I've bought this for my boyfriend for Christmas and I couldn't help but take a peek inside.

First off, it arrived in the box and was so heavy that I thought multiple items had arrived together. I opened it and it was just the book and let me tell you, it's chunky! It's hard back and the pages are very good quality.

There is a section for just about everything- from building a wall to unblocking a toilet- it's all covered! Like I said, I've bought it for my other half but I will no doubt be using it myself!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, watch for Corgi error, 28 July 2012
Bristly Badger (Deep underground, UK.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins Complete DIY Manual (Hardcover)
This is a very helpful guide, especially if, like me, you're a home-owner who likes to understand how work should be done and is prepared to give it a go, too.

One quick note: the 2011 book says that gas installers must be registered with Corgi. In fact, Corgi was replaced two years earlier in 2009, by the Gas Safe Register in Great Britain.

ARRAY(0xafea8fc0)

Collins Complete DIY Manual
Collins Complete DIY Manual by David Day (Hardcover - 31 Mar 2011)
16.75