4.0 out of 5 stars lyrical masterpiece!
If you've never read any middle grade, you are missing out! This story is so pure. Stormswept is so well written. It is almost lyrical, like music.

Published on 11 Jan 2012 by Mary-The Sweet Bookshelf

3.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done, but loses pace
This is my first Ingo book, and I was so very impressed with the way Helen Dunmore explains and describes the Mer folk, and passionate way she describes the relationship the human characters have with the sea. Having lived most of my life in Devon and Cornwall, much of that by the sea, I felt deeply connected to this book.

For that alone, the book should have...
Published 12 months ago by M. D. P. Bradley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars lyrical masterpiece!, 11 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept (Hardcover)

I've not read a Mer story in awhile, and the summary intrigued me. I'm so glad I picked it up. I loved it! Morveren lives by the sea and finds a Mer Boy who has been beached. With her twin sister, she gets him to safety in a pool of water close by. But, not back in the sea. While Malin is trying to recover, Morveren is trying to find out how to make him better and get him back to the sea and to his people. She goes on an adventure. She finds out about the Mer people and more about herself.

This is a beautifully crafted story. I can almost feel the sea calling to me now. I know it sounds weird, but it truly feels like you become part of the ocean when you're reading. I can not wait for more Ingo Chronicles!

I've done some research, and Stormswept is the 2nd wave in the Ingo Chronicles series. The earlier books are; Ingo (2005), The Tide Knot (2006), The Deep (2007), The Crossing of Ingo (2008). I can not wait to read them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful fiction, 10 July 2012
Mrs. Carrie Smith (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept (Hardcover)
This entire series has captured the imagination of my 9 year old daughter. She will stay up late in order to read another chapter and finds it absolutely unputdownable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Considerably better than the previous entry, 3 Aug 2014
Inspector Gadget "Go Go Gadget Reviews" (On the trail of Doctor Claw) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept (Hardcover)
Helen Dunmore averaged one Ingo novel a year until the fourth book (which I did not like). I figured she was either out of ideas or series had reached it's intended conclusion. Four years later she gave us Stormswept, which I picked up with little enthusiasm. I'm happy to say it's a huge improvement.

Instead of telling us another story about Sapphire and Conor Stormswept is more of a side-quel and introduces new characters in the form of argumentative telepathic twins Morveren and Jenna, stuck together, torn apart, and as different as they are similar. After a heavy storm pounds their island home the twins find a beached mer-man in the form of Malin, who has been injured and cannot get back to the sea/Ingo. They dump him in a secluded rock pool and help him get better, but Morveren, like Sapphire before her, can feel the pull of Ingo and is able to breathe underwater, though her sister cannot.

Not especially much happens in Stormswept but the naturalized narration helped me get into the story more while The Crossing of Ingo was full of fantasy-babble which alienated me. I am still hooked on the series and if Helen Dunmore is still cranking them out then I am still buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return to Ingo, 28 Jan 2012
Kate (Oxford, Oxon United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept (Hardcover)
One of the reasons why I was so eager to read Helen Dunmore's original Ingo series was the publication this January of the first in the new Ingo Chronicles, Stormswept. The cover alone was enough to make me know I had to read it. It is indeed a beautiful book on the outside, so what about its innards?

In Stormswept we are introduced to two new young siblings who are on the cusp of growing into themselves. Twin sisters Morveren and Jenna, almost 14 years old, live on an island that is joined to the Cornish mainland by a causeway that only emerges at lowtide. One day a great storm strikes the coast, bringing the islanders together to search for shipwrecked sailors. Morveren, however, discovers more than she bargains for when she comes across Malin, a boy, a little older than herself, who has been stranded on the rocks and is injured. It's his tail that's injured - Malin is a son of the Mer.

Morveren finds herself drawn to Malin and Ingo while her little brother Digory hears music coming from the waves. Jenna, though, is very much of Air and she resists, forming her own difficult relationship with the troubled Bran. It isn't long before these worlds and interests collide and Malin is in danger.

The beginning of Stormswept is completely enchanting. The descriptions of the two girls racing across the causeway as the tides rise and the telling of the legend of the island's formation which the islanders mark with their music... beautiful, magical prose draws you in to this world where sea and land meet.

The original Ingo series is a hard act to follow. While the quality of the writing of Stormswept certainly doesn't disappoint there is something a little predictable about the story and this is much more of a novel for young teens (or younger) than the Ingo novels, which have the power to pull in people of all ages. Nevertheless, speaking as someone who probably isn't a membership of the target readership but a big fan of YA fiction, there is much I enjoyed, especially the relationship between the twins as well as the seven-year-old Digory who I think is quite the scene-stealer. Malin, himself, is much less interesting than his parents (and Faro from the other novels for that matter), particularly his mother who has to overcome her greatest fears to be closer to her stranded son.

I hope that as the Chronicles continue we will see more of the dancing, singing Mer and learn more about their history, which is just hinted at here. I'm interested to see how the girls develop but more than anything I'm looking forward to returning to this enchanted island.

4.0 out of 5 stars By Katie, 23 May 2012
I love this book because of how she makes the Mer people real. It is such an exciting book, with adventure on every page. I really enjoyed this book and I would rate it 4 star

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingo, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept (Hardcover)
An excellent addition to the Ingo series of books, a must for any reader young or old.
I would highly recommend these to anyone. I hope she writes some more, if she does would get straight away.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tt's nice, 13 Feb 2014
It's nice but I miss Saphire and Conor from the other Ingo books as this book has new characters exploring the world of the Mer. I liked the twins and it was an exciting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book - I couldn't put it down!!, 6 Feb 2014
I purchase this book for myself for Christmas - I have read the first set of Ingo books, and was very disappointed to get to the end, so imagine my delight when I found a further Ingo chronicle!! This book is absolutely riveting - I read it at Christmas, and it took me 2 days - it would have been faster, but I had to be sociable!!! Teenagers are the intended audience - I am an adult, and I don't see why the youths should keep all the best books for themselves!!! Superb book, lovely world - I recommend this to anyone who loves a bit of escapism. The world created by Helen Dunmore is totally believable, and you feel like you've been there yourself!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Stormswept, 6 Feb 2014
This is a amazing interesting engaging book which I have read all the series of! It is also very fascinating

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 31 Jan 2014
Loved it! Really enjoyed it! It's a pleasure reading it! Well done Helen Dunmore! Definetly write another one in the series!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept
The Ingo Chronicles: Stormswept by Helen Dunmore (Hardcover - 5 Jan 2012)