5.0 out of 5 stars Just the best book on navigation available
I am head of an Outdoor Pursuits in a secondary school, holding the post for the last 15 years; one of my key activities is training & assessing Duke of Edinburgh Award groups, (Bronze, Silver & Gold) Ten Tors & overseas expeditions, hill Walking, canoeing, kayaking, cycling & skiing. This is the book I've been looking for. It's written in a way that is accessible for...
Published on 15 Sept. 2011 by JohnJenner

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version - poor conversion from the paperback version
I bought the Kindle version of this book so my review score above is based on this specific version.

Review of the Book 5 Star. Great information. I found it easy to work with and have applied many of the techniques making me feel more confident when I am out walking on the hills.

Review of the process that created the Kindle version 1 Star...
Published 22 days ago by Merrick Iszatt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" book, 27 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
Last year I was working in Kurdistan as a safety mountaineer for a seismic oil project and in preparation for this contract I bought a copy of The Ultimate Navigation Manual. I’m afraid that I was both immediately impressed & thoroughly disappointed with my purchase. Let me explain:

I was impressed at the quality of the book, the easy-reading style and the wealth of information which, I believe, is suitable for seasoned veterans and newcomers alike. At the same time I was thoroughly disappointed at how little I knew or had forgotten over the years and I blame the author for bringing this to my attention!

My navigation skills were rusty to say the least & this has been a very, very useful book that will accompany me on all my future travels. In fact, as I write this I’m back in Kurdistan & the Ultimate Navigation Manual is never far from reach. Thoroughly recommended to everyone.

J Corrigan

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb guide, 30 Dec. 2013
David B (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
Although I haven't read all this book yet, I've read enough to see that it is very detailed, very well illustrated with colour photographs and diagrams and is a step by step guide for navigators of all abilities, even the most 'geeky ones' (like me); for example he gives links to websites which give you tables to determine the suns position at any time of the day in any location (although I'm not sure how handy that would be in the UK as we don't see it that much). The text is interspersed with top tips from the expert, even simple things that I never thought of, such as crouching down on one knee when taking a bearing - this has two functions, to make you more stable, and to let people know you are busy so they won't interrupt you. The book itself is printed on glossy paper, and for it's size is quite heavy. Get this and with practice you should be able to navigate your way out of anything.

5.0 out of 5 stars Navigation explained!, 8 Aug. 2012
Ultimate Navigation Manual

The author, Lyle Brotherton, has written the manual based on his own skills and expertise in the field and has produced a well written and extremely useful book for those teaching navigational skills as well as a concise and easily followed manual for hill walkers (or anyone involved in the outdoors) wishing to learn or improve their navigational skills.

The manual covers basic map reading, compass work right through to the latest satellite technology.

The sections are laid out methodically and the illustrations are clear. The book explains the theory behind mapping but does not get bogged down with it - it is definitely a hands on, get out and practice type of publication.

For individuals and organisations involved in outdoor activities I would suggest that this manual is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, concise, authoritative, 13 May 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
This book is comprehensive and to the point. It includes everything you need to know about navigation, as far as I can tell, yet it remains accessible and easy to follow. Pages make use of white space and pictures to aid a smooth reading experience.

Watch Lyle's videos and you will see he has the same authoritative tone as he does in the book when he speaks about navigation. I hope he posts more videos and makes himself known in seminars to the public across the country and world.

I am only half way through the book as of yet. The only criticism I have so far is that, although numerous mentions are made of 'taking compass bearings' from features and the map in the context of some other information, taking bearings is not taught until quite some time after these mentions. Though, five minutes on YouTube sorted this out for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Navigation Manual, 10 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
Even if you are an expert, this book is a must read. It is presented in an easy and simple to follow format, it's pages are filled with lots of practical advice. I have over the years read many books on navigation and this one in my experience is the best by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Navigator's Bible, 14 Dec. 2011
Mr. I. C. Richards (Nottingham, Nottinghamshire Great Britain) - See all my reviews
In a word: superb!
If you buy one book on map reading and navigation, make sure it is THIS one. The author, Lyle Brotherton, starts at the absolute basics of looking at a map and compass before beginning clearly illustrated and easily read lessons that lead to becoming an expert in navigation.
Every aspect is covered - some quite surprising - which makes this book not only fascinating but invaluable to safety in the hills.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough, especially when considering that these are the very same lessons, given by the author himself, that military special forces and mountain rescue teams sit under.
What are you waiting for?

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and In-depth, 14 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
I think this is an excellent book to learn navigation techniques from. It is set out very clearly and the many diagrams and photo's have really helped me to grasp the different techniques. It shows how to navigate in different terrains and under different conditions and has a useful lesson plan section that sets out what to learn and practice over four weekends to build on the skills. It takes nothing for granted so is excellent for the complete beginner to the more experienced navigator. It also has a section covering digital mapping and GPS's. I would highly recommend buying this book if you want to learn to navigate or to improve your skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 24 July 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
I bought this book as I have recently returned to walking after many years of cycling, and wanted to refresh and update my navigation skills, especially regarding the use of hand held Sat navs.
As many have said, the book is excellent, but it is also worth mentioning how helpful Lyle Brotherton is regarding any questions you might have about the techniques outlined in the book.
On his website, there is a forum. If you leave your question in the appropriate section, then Lyle or one of the many helpful folk on there, will be along shortly with a reply. He also adds videos and other learning resources to the site which are very useful.
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely a Manual on the subject., 28 July 2013
Written by a professional and intended for those people whose work or serious hobby interests require the in-depth insight into the relevant navigational techniques required for safe walking out in the wilds.
The author draws on his experiences as a Mountain Rescue team leader and this manual is laid out as a very interesting text book as one would expect.
The techniques involved are simple and straightforward but there are of course a lot of them. This book deals with single hikers and larger groups, but the easy to understand principles apply equally well to both.
A good interesting and very useful read.
Phil Andrews.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 26 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Navigation Manual (Paperback)
Having read good reviews I bought a copy of this book. It surpassed my expectations. What ever your current experience in land navigation this manual will teach you new techniques. Well written in an easy format. Excellent diagrams illustrate the teaching points perfectly. This manual will teach the novice and act as a aide memoir for the expert alike. The manual is set out in a logical sequence with exercises for the reader to follow that progressively advance ones skill set. Whether you need navigation knowledge in a professional capacity or recreationally this is the manual to get. Cannot recommend highly enough.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 413 | Next ›

Ultimate Navigation Manual
Ultimate Navigation Manual by Lyle Brotherton (Paperback - 15 Sept. 2011)
Used & New from: £34.59