5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Crime Thriller
Published on 8 Dec. 2011 by ACB(swansea)

3.0 out of 5 stars Growing a little too pleased with themselves....
Published on 6 Feb. 2012 by Soulie61

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Crime Thriller, 8 Dec. 2011
ACB(swansea) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
The latest follow-on in the Detective Peter Decker & Rina Lazarus series is an absorbing interplay on several elements adding to a terrific read. Gabriel (Gabe) Whitman has been in the foster care of Decker and Rina for a year.Ruthless hitman Chris Donatti (Dad) was driven out of town by Decker and continues his empire running whorehouses in Nevada. Mother Terry has disappeared. Gabe is a gifted pianist and scholar. After talking his way out of a potentially violent encounter in a coffee house that has significance throughout the novel, he returns to the family home.

Decker is involved with a serial killer (Garth Hammerling) sighted in New Mexico but the local news is the suicide of a 15 year old (Gregory Hesse) from a single shot to the head. Coroner's verdict 'suicide'. No apparent reason, leading to Gregory's mother, Wendy, being brought by Sergeant Marge Dunn to plead for help in finding out why her son died,a well-behaved pupil at the large state of the art Bell & Wakefield school (B&W). Interviews with Greg's friends reveal no motive. Six weeks later another single head-shot suicide kills 16 year old Myra Gelb a pupil at the same school. ? Coincidence. No apparent motive.

Meanwhile Gabe has met a Jewish (Persian) 14 year old, Yasmine, a fellow music lover and the pair begin an innocent mutually attractive liason in secret (Yasmine's family are strict) and Gabe is catholic.Taboo. They are central to the theme of the tale and how their relationship develops. Elements of Jewish lifestyle and culture add to the flavour of the novel without being obtrusive. Rina is the cornerstone of the family, heavily featured.

The investigation of the suicides and associated incidents are written by Faye Kellerman in an intriguing series of involved families,victims' encounters, schoolfriends and their associates,and the school hierarchy with suberb narrative. Common ground is established between the two deaths involving missing laptops, stolen guns,same school with no high suicide record, but no definite links. The characters are introduced in a meaningful way but they do need initial concentration to sort out their relationships and interactions. Needless to say, vital evidence and other information surfaces that drives Decker, Marge, Capt.Scott Oliver forwards to unravel the mysteries that have confounded them.Gabe and Yasmine have also become more involved ultimately leading to the inevitable family intervention. The final chapters are nail-biting, frantic and pulsating.

As usual Faye Kellerman ties up all loose ends in the main story-lines with explanations of the whys and wherefores of the chief protagonists.Twists and surprises abound. The author also neatly gives us an insight into future outcomes concerning the main characters with even Chris Donatti reappearing. The serial killer's fate is another factor.
An exhilarating well-planned and plotted book, difficult to put down (I tried and failed). Back to Decker,Lazarus and Kellerman's best.

3.0 out of 5 stars Growing a little too pleased with themselves...., 6 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Blood Games (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Crime Thrillers) (Paperback)
I have read all of the Lazarus/Decker books to date. I quite like them because Faye Kellerman knows how to put together a good story. I really like Gabe Whitman and Chris Donatti who have appeared more recently and have livened everything up a little. This book had good 'baddies' (Dylan and the toxic Cam particularly worked for me)and lots of the peripheral characters were okay. However at the conclusion I just felt vaguely irritated. Why are the Decker/Lazarus's so 'good'... It isn't just Rina who is the epitome of all goodliness but Pete and their various children (twins in your house and the most you can muster up is a weak 'oh we hardly get to eat; poor us') and Marge and even Oliver who has grown so dull the most he can whinge about is picking up the food tab... potentially all very ho hum. AND then I have to suffer an adolescent romance... having experienced them myself many years ago I can say with some certainty that they were not particularly interesting when I was actually involved and they are tedious to the point of coma when they are the stuff of fiction. Of course I understand that to get to the climax/reveal etc with this book there was a reason I just don't think the amount of energy/space put into it was justified. Perhaps in the next book Hannah could start pole dancing to feed her crystal meth habit or traffic small puppies to pay for extra tuition? Just a crack in the perfect veneer and I'll be a happier woman. Of course having said all of this I will read the next one because I read all of Ms. Kellerman's books because it is habitual so I am stuck in this spiral of resentment.... probably.

2.0 out of 5 stars Like what happens to old characters in soap operas., 6 Mar. 2012
Jill Meyer (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Normally I wouldn't bother to review a book that has already been reviewed by 58 other readers on Amazon/USA, but Faye Kellerman's "Gun Games" is so bad that I felt compelled to add to the 1, 2,and 3 star reviews. Now, I've been reading both Kellermans since their first books. The quality of both authors has waxed and waned, but both have - in general - published solid mid-tier books. I don't think I've given either Kellerman less than a 4 star review; I tend to review based on previous books by the same author. It's useless - and unkind - to compare Faye Kellerman to Leo Tolstoy, but she writes a good story with compelling characters. Those characters have changed slightly over the years as the Rina and Peter have grown gray and new characters are added which serves to update the storyline.

But in "Gun Games", Kellerman has gone to a plot situation seemingly akin to long-running soap operas on TV. You know, the ones that feature the young lovers in the main roles and the old standbys who are trotted out once-in-a-while to give advise and muse about love "back in the day". And the younger characters are never as interesting as the older ones. But having a "hot story" sells the soap better than an old one does, it seems.

In "Gun Games", Kellerman has relegated Peter and Rina to the back bench in favor of young lovers, Gabriel and Yasmine. Star-crossed lovers, Gabriel is the foster son of the Deckers and a budding piano genius, who, at the age of 15 has already been offered admission to both Julliard and Harvard. He's also the son of a hit-man the Deckers have known for a few years and for somewhat murky reasons, murkily told in the last couple of books, is living with the Deckers. His new love is Yasmine, a 14 year old daughter of Persian Jews living in the Valley - San Fernando, of course - and their relationship model is "Romeo/Juliet". But, Faye Kellerman is no William Shakespeare, and the reader is already at an "ick" point because neither Gabe nor Yasmine is particularly interesting and the thought of underage sex is, is...icky. Really icky.

Added to the star-crossed (young) lovers are a bunch of rich losers at a well-regarded private school that prides itself on mainlining its students straight into the Ivy League. Now, husband Jonathan has already written about what goes on in LA private schools that are hotbeds of drug use, paganism,"mean girls, murder, and torture. I think he's used the plot point in several of his books. It's a tedious plot devise at best, and boring at worst. And the private-school-loser-sickie-murderers are pretty boring in Faye's once-clever hands. (Full disclosure: my two sons went to private school - admittedly not in LA - and I don't think any of "that stuff" went on at their school. Though maybe I was too busy watching "All My Children" to notice...)

Throw in a couple of teenage suicides at the school and a whole bunch of text messaging between R and J and you've basically gotten the gist of Faye Kellerman's "Gun Games". It's just not very good, and I don't know if Faye was channeling the "Young Adult" fiction writers at Amazon's ABNA competition, but she should deep-six the "teens-n-texting", and return to the old folks she's been writing about so well up to now. You know, Rina and Peter...

3.0 out of 5 stars not her best, 12 Jun. 2013
S. Ivory "Jamaica girl" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
I read a lot of the reviews and did not really fancy this one at all, but as the story follows on, I downloaded it and have just finished reading it.
Certainly not one of her best and in retrospect, not one I would want to read again. The storyline is a decent one,not brilliant, but ok. Gabe, who is living with the Deckers falls in love with a Persian Jewish girl and their relationship is conducted in secret. Ok then, but did we really need pages of text conversations between them, and descriptions of their sex life, as and when it happened.
This book could have been half the length it is and would still have been too long. I am glad I have read it as it is out of the way now and I await her next one, as long as it is not teen fiction, which this one certainly was.

2.0 out of 5 stars I Can't Believe It's Faye Kellerman, 28 Feb. 2012
J. Mclaughlin (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Having read and enjoyed all Faye Kellerman's previous Decker and Lazarus novels I was so disappointed with this offering. The story is weak and padded out with teenage love scenes. It is full of sex talk and swearing but the worst part is a lurid description of a 14 year old girl child losing her virginity to a 15 year old boy. This book is so unlike Ms Kellerman's previous work I would not be surprised to learn it was written by someone else. So many of our favourite authors seem to be doing this now.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confused!, 14 Dec. 2011
E. Heckingbottom "elaineheck143" (U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Reading the precis, I think 'Blood Games' and 'Gun Games' appear to be the same book. What do people think? Am i right? Should I buy both or save my cash? Could I even have already read this book?

4.0 out of 5 stars Blood games, 19 Jan. 2015
Interesting subject with many different perspectives it was a hard subject to embrace and did so with depth and feeling
I liked the characters and how likeable they were. It was a fast read as you just had to see the next move in the tale. I wasn't as keen on the young lovers story it felt a bit corny and sickly sweet and a little like a teenage girls romantic book. However good storyline with in-depth character

3.0 out of 5 stars American detective story, 13 Sept. 2014
This is the first book I have read in this detective series so I might have missed some historical input. I found this a typical American detective story. It had a good plot spoilt by over infill on teenage romance. A teenagers rampant erection was referred to on several occasions!
Recommended for American detective fans or teenagers with romance issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars Also confused, 19 Dec. 2011
I have read precis for both Blood Games and Gun Games and they sound like the same book but the pricing is vastly different. This needs to be clarified before I will purchase either and I am a long time Kellerman fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars You kneew what you were getting, right?, 20 Jun. 2014
E. Holmans (London) - See all my reviews
Well, you got some more of it. It's a time-passer, but if I have to hear about Rina's hair one more time I'm going to think about purchasing some shears.

Blood Games (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Crime Thrillers)
Blood Games (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus Crime Thrillers) by Faye Kellerman (Paperback - 19 Jan. 2012)