Format: HardcoverChange

on 15 July 2014
My 5 year old demands this to be read every single evening since we bought the book 3 weeks ago. He loves the characters, how parents can role play depending on the facial expressions of the "Hueys" and the educational message (only one, but a strong one). In fact when we are upset at each other for nothing, we use that very educational message to resolve the situation. And it works and puts smiles on our faces.
I must admit I was a little disappointed with the other Jeffers' book on jumper, as the unexpected and smart story breaker that is in "It wasn't me" was missing from that book.
on 24 July 2013
We love Oliver Jefferies and have collected most of his work. My son enjoys the Boy stories and Stuck.

I purchased the Hueys in a New Jumper and we loved reading it together and it helped that my son was learning to read and could read most of the book on his own.

However, on getting this new volume we both felt it was a little light on story and text and so it felt quite thin with no depth and was over very quickly.

However, the ending is fun and made us both laugh
on 16 June 2013
Helen for [...]
Copy provided by published in exchange for an honest review

Although I've seen Oliver Jeffers' books and know they are wonderful, for some unknown reason we don't have any and my girls haven't come across them. Being given this to read was an excellent opportunity to remedy this situation.

In this story the Huey's, who usually agree on things, have a disagreement.

Oliver's drawings are great, they are simple, and yet in no way simplistic. The Huey's are draw in black and white line drawings with splashes of colour. The argument is a cloud of colour and lines above their heads as they grumble and moan. It's just how to imagine a row. It also made it really relatable for the children. As any parent knows children fall in and out all the time, often over the most trivial of things. They were glued to the story and at the first reading you could see them checking out the pictures and taking it all in.

I loved the page where Gilespie has asked what the problem is and the Huey's all stand in silence as none of them can remember what the problem was in the first place. Dare we say so often typical of all of us not just children?

I also loved the way the text was partly narrative and partly speech bubbles, something my older girl who is learning to read also picked up on.

The other thing that I found interesting about this was that after hearing it the first time, instead of the 'again' we so often hear, my five year old wanted to take the book off and go by herself to look at it. She spent a good while just sitting looking at the picture

Verdict: So a highly recommended book with an ending that made me laugh out loud. We must invest in more of this author's work.
on 15 February 2014
‘It Wasn't Me: The Hueys, Book 2’ made by Oliver Jeffers is a continuation of the same name picture book that introduced young readers to the Hueys which usually agree on things and now are having a disagreement.

Oliver Jeffers who previously made excellent picture book 'The Day the Crayons Quit’ created the picture book with a similar style with whose help young readers can learn that there is no need to get into an argument about things that are not important. Instead, these things should be resolved through agreement and compromise, which is usually difficult for children to accept.

The author made simple, though nice looking black-and-white illustrations with few colors without too much details that will not be distracting and therefore will be especially interesting for the youngest that are not yet able to focus their attention both on the text and images. While arguing, Hueys’ arguments can be seen in color and line clouds showing in an excellent way how children are quarreling, usually around some complete trivialities.

It was interesting to watch the reaction of my daughter when I read her this picture book - after we read it for the first time she took it in order to alone examine again what is happening between the characters.

‘It Wasn't Me: The Hueys, Book 2’ is the continuation of the successful picture book by the same author that you will definitely like if you loved the original; if you didn’t read the first part, both picture books I can fully recommend to parents with the youngest children because of their style and message they can both offer a good message to the kids.
on 3 November 2013
We love Oliver Jeffers books. We were given the New Jumper and really enjoyed it, but this was a complete disappointment. The pictures are lovely, as always, but there is very little story. Pretty pointless.
on 27 December 2014
His other books, Once there was a boy- for example, are much better. I found this one a little disappointing.
on 6 January 2015
Nice book, but my 4 year old prefers other Oliver Jeffers books, for example "Stuck", to this one.
on 8 April 2014
Well my kids love this book and it always ends in giggles but being totally honest I find it utterly weird!!

It was written for the entertainment of children and it certainly does that but it isn't a story I ever look forward to reading.
on 23 November 2015
I like Oliver Jeffers as a rule but the story in this book didn't do it for me.
on 16 April 2015
Awful. Style over substance. Not worth reading.