4.0 out of 5 stars A good charity shop purchase ...
Published on 31 Dec 2011 by Brian J. Cox

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE AND CRIME IN A COLD CLIMATE
The interest in Scandinavian crime novels seems to be increasing exponentially due largely to the Millenium-factor, perhaps?

Published on 14 Jun 2010 by Mr. Gerard Gengembre

4.0 out of 5 stars A good charity shop purchase ..., 31 Dec 2011
Brian J. Cox (Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Ice Princess (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 1) (Paperback)
I'd been put off buying any Camilla Läckberg books because of the amazingly polarised reviews of "The Ice Princess", the first in the series. One reviewer called her books "charity shop fodder," and lo and behold I found "The Ice Princess" in one. I'm pleased I did: the book isn't perfect but it's a very decent first novel, a bit of a mixture of Barbara Vine and Ruth Rendell herself, and of Thomas H. Cook (read him soon if you haven't found him already). As with these other authors, the plot's origins lie well back in the past, and as each onion layer is peeled off you learn a little bit more, until the whole dreadful truth is revealed. It's certainly very obviously the work of a woman (surely no man would write of the dangers of sitting on cold benches!), and true that the powerful amongst the men aren't very nice, but the women aren't perfect either, and I reckon the two sexes get about equal treatment by and large. And surely the reason that Eilart appears again at the very end is simply to show that a deserving husband can eventually get the beter of a ghastly wife ... it's just a PS from the author saying "hey, this isn't all one-way anti-male stuff, you know". I thought Steven T. Murray's translation was perfectly OK, if looking a little rushed in places, and yes, perhaps a little more editorial supervision would have made a better book ... but I'm going to get the next one direct from Amazon and read the whole series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 28 May 2011
Alexandra Wijkner is found dead in her bath with her wrists slit. Initially it appears to be a case of suicide but soon it is discovered that she couldn't have killed herself.

Her childhood friend Erica Falck has returned to the area following the death of her parents and she is asked to write an obituary to Alex. However, the writing of this throws up some questions and Erica finds herself, along with Detective Patrik Hedstrom conducting their own investigations into the death.

This is a really well written novel, easy to read and introduces some good characters who are easy to like or dislike depending on who they are! It isn't a gory read but it is fairly gripping. I think my biggest complaint though is the lack of chapters...there are only 6 in the entire book!! I am looking forward to reading the next book by this Sweedish author

5.0 out of 5 stars (wow -- did we read the same book???), 3 July 2011
karen (United States) - See all my reviews
I'm astonished. I just finished "The Ice Princess" -- and clicked on on AmazonUK to order three more Camilla Lackberg books. I absolutely loved "Princess", thought it was well written, tightly plotted, interesting, unique and filled with little thought-provoking tidbits (eg, "The silence was something he couldn't take back.") Then -- just for the heck of it -- I decided to see how much everyone else had loved it too, so I came to read other reviews. I was astonished at the negativity! Really? Did we read the same book? Steven Murray, the translator? I found little if anything to criticize -- I live in Israel, and as one might assume, the cultural differences between Sweden and Israel are considerable. In spite of that, what I enjoyed so much about Ms Lackberg's book was that her characters were all people I knew, which is to say, I saw people I knew in them. They came across as real people. I've read Jo Nesbo, Karin Fossum, loved Henning Mankell until I decided for political reasons not to buy his books anymore. I liked those authors too, but the difference, I think, was in characterization. Nesbo's characters, as well as some of Fossums and certainly Mankells, tended toward the stereotype of silent and depressive Scandinavians, whereas Lackberg's seemed relatively normal. And calling this "chic lit"? Wow -- the ultimate insult, both to women and literature! I don't see anything trivially romantic, trite or "beach read" about this book at all. Well -- there you have it! At least we've given potential readers two very different opinions -- readers run hot or cold, not much in between.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Slow burner' rather than 'page turner', 2 May 2010
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Set in the small fishing community of Fjällbacka, the finding of the body of Alex Wijkner partially frozen in the bath with her wrists slashed is the start of a series of events that threatens to uncover dark secrets that some residents would prefer stayed buried.

Alex's childhood friend, authoress Erica Falck is one of the first at the scene of the apparent suicide and she with Policeman Patrik Hedström (another childhood friend) find themselves working together as they look into the death of their former school friend. The budding relationship between these two, tentative and unsure of each other, is central to the storyline and whilst quite nicely done, at times had chicklit overtones.

After struggling with the first few chapters, I really liked it. A 'slow-burner' rather than a 'page-turner' that flowed well and kept me reading to the end. The small town community with its twitching curtains was well depicted and the characters interested me. There seemed to be quite a lot of side threads where additional characters were introduced with quite lengthy background detail only to then vanish from the pages which I found quite strange, but on the whole an enjoyable read and I'll certainly be reading the second book in the series The Preacher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not an Icy Book, 17 Oct 2008
E. Chittenden "emchi" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
A captivating and enchanting story that was filled full of Scandinavian light. A very well written novel, I had no idea "who dunnit" until the end of the book.

The book starts with Alex's body being found, an apparent suicide. It turns out an old friend, Erica, found her. The story follows Alex's somewhat unusual and in the end, very disturbing life.

Erica is a biographer and has been brought back to her home to tie up her parents estate. She gets caught up in the mystery and involved with an old school friend, who now works at the police station.

The ups and downs, the twists and turns will bring the reader to a somewhat surprising end, that you will simply not see coming. An enchanting read that I would definitely recommend.

3.0 out of 5 stars LOVE AND CRIME IN A COLD CLIMATE, 14 Jun 2010
Mr. Gerard Gengembre (Blaru, France) - See all my reviews

I read an interview with Camilla Lackberg in the French press : the contrast between her apparently traditional lifestyle : small-town childhood, cop husband and children, and the subjects of her novels led me to look for her books in English. The Ice Princess, which might sound like a cliché title is actually a very appropriate one, describing the victim on many levels.

The style captivates your interest; the young female character, a former friend of the victim, is drawn willy-nilly into the circle of the stricken family, and incidentally makes contact with a an old school friend now a policeman involved in the investigation. As the gory and lurid details of the story unfold, they fall in love.

Naturally, there is a deep dark family secret which must be exposed in order to reach a satisfactory conclusion to the inquiry. And the ending holds a hint of future partnership in love and detection for the main characters.

Good descriptions of Stockholm and the changing face of picturesque coastal villages taken over by city slickers eager for a panoramic view.

A very good read

5.0 out of 5 stars Euro noir heaven, 20 Jan 2013
I received the preacher as a christmas present due to my love of scandinavian euro noir. Every saturday night is spent watching BBC4 and i have enjoyed every series of Spiral, The Killing, The Bridge and Borgen. I have read most of the Jo Nesbo novels and all of the Stig Larssen trilogy and seen all the movies. I have enjoyed all of the Camilla Lackberg novels and after reading The preacher quickly purchased all of this authors remaining books. I have spent the last 3 weeks in the company of Erika Falk and Patrik Hedstrom and have not been disappointed. Jo Nesbos cop Harry Hole never worked for me though i persevered through all her novels but Patrik Hedstrom grows through the books and even Mellbergs transformation will surprise. My partner would maybe prefer a more gritty novel more in the style of James Elroy but i loved these books and i feel sad my time with these characters has come to an end....

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 15 Jun 2012
The plot was fine but I found the writing lacking in subtlety. The romantic element was simply cringe-making. I know that it's impossible to come up with new ideas all the time, but good writing gives a freshness to what has inevitably been done before. I was constantly taken aback at how cliche-ridden the story was. There was also an adolescent flavour to the book. I didn't find the main characters convincing at all. However, I did want to find out who was responsible for the murder so I did read it to the end.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lack of literary talent or poor translation?, 10 Mar 2014
As a book club choice this was definitely one I wouldn't have selected to read. Despite the potentially interesting plot line the novel is completely destroyed by the style of writing which is at best juvenile and for the most part utterly cringeworthy.

Lackberg's observations about how people furnish their homes with rosettes and gold fringing, drive their cars, answer their doorbells, wear their clothes and style their hair are trite and banal. The characters' speak mostly in a forced and unrealistic manner and the text is littered with cliches and unimaginative descriptions.

A large number of different characters are woven into the storyline and it's not always easy to see why they have been included. On the other hand a few characters who appear to have a fairly major role in the proceedings seem to disappear later on - Anna's husband for instance.

There are a few clues to the identity of the murderer but the reason behind the murder isn't revealed until very close to the end, which is possibly the only good thing I have to say about this book.

I can only hope that Lackberg has been done a great disservice by the translator and that her Swedish original is a lot more entertaining to read than this is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Long winded ..., 23 Aug 2012
Started well then got a bit long winded for me , I found myself getting bored with the story , the Mellberg character was to over the top and annoyed me . I found the book ok but not great , I'll try another book from this author and see if she improves 3 stars from me .

The Ice Princess (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 1)
The Ice Princess (Patrick Hedstrom and Erica Falck, Book 1) by Camilla Lackberg (Paperback - 3 Mar 2011)
5.59