5.0 out of 5 stars THE TITLE SAYS IT ALL - FIRST CLASS BOOK
I've always admired get up and go and Karren Brady has it in spades. I admired her working style when she originally appeared on The Apprentice, interviewing the candidates (haven't seen it since she took over from Margaret Mountford but I'm sure she's just as good). She never appeared to belittle them, she came across as firm but fair.

I've got to say my...
Published on 11 April 2012 by Carol 'avid little bookworm'

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more heart and soul
Published on 28 Jun 2012 by Eliza Domuch

5.0 out of 5 stars THE TITLE SAYS IT ALL - FIRST CLASS BOOK, 11 April 2012
Carol 'avid little bookworm' (LEEDS, Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

I've got to say my interest in her is not the 'make it big in a man's world' it's purely admiration for someone who has achieved in the same way I have an interest in any man who has achieved just as much.

This book is truly inspiring to anyone who wants to work hard and achieve. It is also, I feel, a deterrent to anyone who thinks they can have it all without sheer hard work and determination. In fact, I think Karren Brady displays far more than this. At times I was exhausted just reading the book and the amount of work she undertakes! After finishing the book, I think it fair to say, she goes far way and beyond what most of us would be prepared to do.

I highly recommend this book, it's an excellent autobiography as well as an absolute mine of information regarding good business practice. I think Karren Brady must be one of the best 'Brand' builders out there in the business world today. I'd love her to write a book dedicated purely to this subject, it would be on my pre-order list.

The book is gutsy, I loved it, I think because I share so many of Karren Brady's beliefs, it covers so much -

peoples fear of failure and how overcoming it can be empowering

not satisfied with where things are now she continually wants to improve it

straight talking but not personal - her management style & communication; people know what she wants and more importantly what she expects!

confidence comes from absolute attention to detail and complete knowledge, she knows every facet of every business she is involved in

understand who you are and what you want out of life

planning, process and structure

energy, energy, energy!!

loyalty, one of my personal favourites

too many petty politics - isn't the world just too full of those

"I hate people who critise but can't come up with an alternative", oh I so agree with that quote

And finally the book finishes with the very wise words of Calvin Coolidge, the former US President. A GEM.

4.0 out of 5 stars A sensible read, 8 May 2012
Normally the word 'sensible' doesn't get you running off to buy a book but it really does sum up Karren and her book. Other words that spring to mind are honest, down-to-earth, realistic and practical. She is definitely a strong woman but this book demonstrates that she is not a bitch and that lots of very hard work and maintaining her dignity throughout has allowed her to thrive in the workplace.

* Part biography (but not too much - just the good bits about what makes her who she is today)
* Part Business journal - great advice and ideas on how to do well in business
* Part Inspirational - I will definitely save this book and pass it on to my girls to read when they are older as I found myself agreeing with nearly all of what she said and she puts it over in such a way that made me think - "Yes! I totally understand where you are coming from"
* Brutually honest throughout - not many famous women are willing to state that they haven't done everything right and they've made mistakes both in their personal life and work life too but Karren does so I really warmed to her through these omissions
* Very unemotional - which was interesting but the more I thought of about it and the more I read about her, it was very understanding given the very male dominated situations she's been in
* Really enjoyed reading about behind the scenes at the Apprentice as I am a massive fan of the show (just wish Karren was allowed to speak more)
Would definitely recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more heart and soul, 28 Jun 2012
Eliza Domuch (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I got this book because I was interested how Karren manages a successful career and a family. This is the first 'celebrity biography' I have read and perhaps the style is common to this genre, but I found it repetitive, meandering and quite cringey in parts. Although I appreciate plain-speaking, there wasn't enough personality and sparkle. I am all for hard work too but in Karren's case, I wasn't clear what all these endless hours were actually for: rather than empowered, Karren appears trapped by her own mindset. She is very impressive in terms of what she has achieved and is no doubt an inspiration to many (for that I'll give her 3 stars) - but the book wasn't for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Karen Brady Strong Woman - Underneath Normal, 6 Jun 2012
Alessi Lover "C.A.D." (Knightley UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So glad I got the chance to order this book, as I have read Karen's piece each month in a woman's monthly magazine and always found it an entertaining and interesting read. One in which she sounds so down to earth. Yes, she even admitted to colouring her own hair, probably not now but at least she told her readers. Probably to show that underneath the tough as nails image she is just a woman with two kids that gets on with normal day to day stuff to.

Well in this her book she is the same.

What you see is what you get from this business woman it seems and this book tells from her trials and tribulations at the age of 23 and what she had to contend with. Football is a man's game and for any woman to walk into that environment and take charge, well it takes some courage but also determination. Some of the men she has met in her earlier career may not have been the best to be around but back in the days when she was in her early 20's things were different in business and outlooks different too especially so if you were female.

Later in the book you get an insight intto how she had a massive health issue and how that seemed to turn her life around, showing that sometimes these things happen and make you see maybe what is more important. She has had to make some serious hard decisions and I think this is the one that was make or break for her life. Thankfully she took the operation choice and underneath she probably thanks each day for being alive.

Over the last couple of series you will have seen her on the Apprentice taking Margaret's place, I was hoping that maybe there would be some secrets let slip about Sir Allan, but you will have to read it to find out.

Will I still be reading her column in the monthly magazine? Too right I will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Teenage girls - read this!, 30 May 2012
Tealady2000 (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Karren Brady is best known these days as Margaret Mountford's replacement on The Apprentice but she has had a long and highly successful career in British business. She credits her success to self-reliance and sheer hard work. Early in this book she advises young women not to aspire to marry a footballer, but to own or manage the club they play for. (Karren Brady actually married a footballer herself, but it was never her aspiration). It is refreshing to come across someone in the public eye who is not interested in celebrity culture or the glamorous lifestyle that can accompany great wealth. On The Apprentice, Karren Brady comes across as a person of real integrity - she is never bitchy or judgemental and her comments are always fair. She clearly behaves like that in her business life too (although I'm glad I don't work for her; I would be no good at answering my mobile at 3am). This book is no work of literature but it is engaging and easy to read. After finishing it, I'm pretty sure that Karren herself did not come up with the strap-line on the cover - "Ambition, grit and a great pair of heels". Her version would be "Ambition, grit and lots of hard work".

2.0 out of 5 stars Faintly Depressing, 11 Sep 2012
I read the first chapter which was full of incredibly sensible and down-to-earth advice about women succeeding in their chosen career. Genuinely wise and full of common sense. She writes very well about women as parents and how they have to balance the burden of raising children with their work commitments. My wife died when my children were young, so I can confirm that even some men have those problems.

The second chapter was about Karen's early days. How entrpreneurs are risk takers and hard workers. Hard work was emphasised a LOT. Almost every paragraph emphasised this point. Nothing at all wrong with that. If you want to succeed in anything, hard work will give you a much better chance.

What I found depressing was that Karen seemed genuinely pleased with herself when recounting how in her first day at school she pushed a boy out of the chair he was sitting in saying,"that's my chair." She also talks about her grandmother getting out of her car and punching other drivers in the nose if they were perceived to have cut her up, and how she was "always pushing me to the front of the queue".

Now my synmpathies are with the poor kid pushed out of his chair, the other motorists physically assaulted and the people who waited in the queue. We've all probably done (I certainly have) similarly unpleasant things in our lives but regret them and learn the lesson that other people count too.

I stopped reading at this point so maybe Karen goes on to say that actually the world isn't all me, me, me. I hope so but I didn't want to waste the time it takes to read the whole book to find myself disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A woman that knows what she wants and how to get it, 12 Dec 2013
Even if I still haven't finished yet all the book,I say Ouaou!A confident woman,super confident woman but not in the arrogant level.She broke the rules and entered in a male dominant area whereas other women would tremble in the idea even!!I first saw her in the Apprentice and immediately she made an impression to me.Business mind,firm and fair.Exceptional leadership skills.She doesn't put down people,but she is honest and straight forward.All these mean spirited people that have charged with nonsense accusations they wish they could reach her just a bit.She states in the book that she has thick skin and I do believe that you need to develop one with so many men around you.She is intelligent and with a great sense of humor.I had a great laugh quite few times so far!!!She is a successful woman and nothing was given to her free.She worked for it HARD.And here she is standing in her cover page with her Chanel necklace and her chopard watch confident and proud for what she has achieved.+why not?Well done girl!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Predictable, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Strong Woman: The Truth About Getting to the Top (Paperback)
I'd heard it all before. Nothing original in here and very little humanity #robot

i wouldn't recommend it

Bland and generic

3.0 out of 5 stars Average, 12 Aug 2013
Bought this book thinking it would be an inspirational read, but actually it's quite boring, she boasts about herself an awful lot and the book is very repetitive. Wouldn't recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Read by an amazing woman, 2 Aug 2013
For anyone wanting to learn about how to make it to the top through hard graft and sacrifice this is a must read.
Karren approach is staright talking honesty and she does not sugar coat anything. She is the epitome of feminism in a positive way for the working woman of today.

Strong Woman: The Truth About Getting to the Top
Strong Woman: The Truth About Getting to the Top by Karren Brady (Paperback - 11 April 2013)
6.29