Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 February 2013
I already have the 2 previous Hummingbird Bakery cookbooks so when I saw that there was a new one coming out I knew I had to have it.

The recipes in this book are not overly complicated and should not prove too daunting, even for those with limited baking experience. Despite this book having a heavy American influence it does not require you to buy a set of measuring cups or involve searching online for hard to find ingredients as all of the ingredients can be found in any well-stocked supermarket.

Each recipe comes with an accompanying photo and the instructions for each recipe are clear and concise whilst providing detailed instructions for each step

The previous book, The Hummingbird Bakery Cake Days was divided into chapters by occasion (Easter, Christmas, Halloween for example). This book sticks to a more traditional lay-out. This book is divided into the following chapters:

Cupcakes
Cakes, cheesecakes and roulades
Cookies and biscuits
Pies and cobblers
Traybakes
Sweet treats and classic puds
Savouries

At the back of the book there is a section called 'baking essentials' which should prove useful for those with limited baking experience.

Please find below a list of all of the recipes featured in this book.

Jaffa cake cupcakes
Mint humbug cupcakes
Doughnut cupcakes
Blueberry and amaretti trifle cupcakes
Jolly jammer cupcakes
Popcorn cupcakes
Liquorice and blackcurrant cupcakes
Panettone cupcakes
Salted caramel cupcakes
White chocolate and cranberry cupcakes
Cookies and cream cupcakes
Sweet peanut cupcakes
Strawberry milkshake cupcakes
Almond cake with macaroon top
Banana Boston cream cake
Sweet dough lemon loaf
Peanut butter cheesecake
Chocolate cake with vanilla meringue frosting
Chocolate and cherry cheesecake swirl cake
Chocolate malt cake
Mississippi mud cake
Flourless chocolate cake
Lemon cake with lemon cream cheese frosting
Red velvet roulade
Cookies and cream cake
Maple and walnut streusel cake
Pineapple upside down cake
Banana and brazil nut loaf
Chicago fudge cake
Pumpkin and cream cheese roulade
Linzer cookies
Hazelnut and chocolate macaroons
Chocolate truffle cookies
Mint chocolate thumbprint cookies
Basic shortcakes
Lemon and ricotta cookies
Peanut butter and jam pinwheel cookies
Pecan and toffee thumbprint cookies
Chocolate shortcakes with a peanut butter filling
Peanut butter and chocolate cookies
Syrup crunchie cookies
Shoofly pie
Apple and blueberry cobbler
Soured cream pie
Pear and cranberry tart
White chocolate and macadamia nut pie
Chocolate custard squares
Blueberry loaf
Peanut butter granola bars
Chocolate hazelnut buns
Fruit and nut chocolate parcels
S'more brownies
Vanilla fudge
Home-made marshmallows
Coconut squares
Frozen chocolate sandwiches
Apple and almond bear claw pastries
Pecan sandies
Cheese straws
Olive loaf
Cheese and rosemary breadsticks
Savoury cheesecake
1414 comments|388 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 January 2014
every single recipe in this book is full proof! every cake i have made has come out of the oven beautifully, so light and moist!! highly recommend this book for hours of baking pleasure.
on 23 January 2014
Great book. Got it as a Christmas present, and am chuffed to bits. Full of lovely recipes. I can so far recommend the Lemon Cake with Lemon and Cream Cheese Frosting, also the Cookies and Cream Cupcakes, along with the Cookies and Cream (big) cake and finally the Maple and Walnut Streusel cake. All were complete success and totally delicious. Sometimes the mixture can look a bit different to other cakes that I have baked - as a lot of the recipes use large quantities of milk and so the mixture is very wet, but trust the recipes, as the cakes turn out wonderfully. There is also a small savoury section which is a nice addition to the sweet stuff. I have also got the Hummingbird Cake Days recipe book, which I have had for a couple of years now and would also recommend.
on 26 October 2014
i thought considering I have two other hummingbird bakery books, i wouldn't need this one but once again the photos won me over and I parted with my cash! I think this is actually the most inspiring book for me and there are so many new ideas and captivating recipes included in this book. you can now find a lot of the original recipe book online, and the cake days book is limited to cakes (obviously) but this one has really beautiful pictures, easy to follow instructions and different recipes to anything I've seen before. if you like the other books or are looking for some inspiration, this is just beautiful.
on 14 November 2013
Very good book: Good pictures, good way of describing the process, at the end good section with advices etc.
It is the second hummingbird bakery book I purchase. I had purchased the first one 2 years ago apprx (if I remember the title correctly: Cake Days). Again, I am very happy with my pruchase. I have tried from this new book only one recipie till now, but it was a 100% success.
I think it is the best book for this category. If there will be a new issue in the future, I will definitely purchase it!
on 23 March 2013
This is my first Hummingbird book although I am a cake baking nut so have millions of other books and I am hard to impress on the baking front! First two recipes I have tried (Chocolate Malt Cake and Chocolate and Coconut Cupcakes) were gobsmackingly good. Can't wait to try everything in the book! A real gem!
on 30 November 2013
After the latest trends of baking cupcakes, and mini desserts, it's nice to see this brand branching out and putting a modern and creative twist on traditional baking!
There are so many recipes in here, I could produce something every weekend for a year and still not get through every single one!
This book was such great value for money, I've told my friends and family to get one... Mine's not for sharing!
on 18 June 2013
I bake at least 3-5 times a week. I am constantly asked to provide cakes, cupcakes, muffins, etc... for parties, school events and other gatherings. I always reach for the 2 previous Hummingbird Cookbooks when looking for inspiration. So, I was very excited when I saw this new cookbook.

Overall I am disappointed with the version. As other reviewers have said there are not many new recipes, just small tweaks and variations on favourites. But this thing is these small tweaks and variations do not work.

For at least 3 of the cakes the icing quantity produced was far to much icing and far to sweet. The amount of sugar used in many of the recipes is mind boggling. Many times, following the quantities suggested, I have fully iced a 3 layer cake and ended up with loads to throw away. The cakes are disappointing in flavour and originality.

I am beginning to become wary of reaching for this cookbook. As I cook more and more of the recipes I get the distinct feeling the the recipes weren't fully checked and tested before publication and it feels rush. Thus I am very disappointed with this Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook.
on 11 June 2016
This is my favourite 'sweet' book and it's the first I go to if I'm planning on making cakes to bring into work. Every recipe I've tried so far has come out looking and tasting superb (so I'm told!) and that's entirely due to the clear instructions. I like that there's a picture to accompany every recipe - it really winds me up when recipe books don't have pictures of everything as it can sometimes be really difficult to imagine what you're supposed to be working towards - and all the pictures in this book are perfect. The recipes use good, honest ingredients that are easy to source and, most importantly, taste fantastic.
on 2 February 2016
Bought for my wife, who loves baking cakes and other sweet treats. Beautifully illustrated, with simple, unambiguous and uncomplicated presentation, the recipes are easy to follow. My wife has already made a number of cakes including 'Peanut Butter Cheesecake', 'Jaffa Cake cupcakes', 'Chocolate Pudding Pie' and 'Coconut Macaroons'. All the mouth-watering treats have turned out delicious.
The book is pitched at everyone from novices to advanced chefs.
Next time, I am in London, I will be visiting one of the 'Hummingbird Bakeries' to sample first hand one of Tarek Malouf's creations.