4.0 out of 5 stars A generous dollop of history and a good sprinkling of humour!
I made rather a mistake ordering this book from the library instead of buying it as it would perhaps be a better book to dip in and out of rather than read through from beginning to end, as I am having to do.

Having said that, it does make for a fascinating chronological read and William Sitwell is the most delightful guide to this altogether charming history...
Published 20 months ago by Sue Kichenside

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I was very disappointed to find that 42 of the 'recipes' are from 1902 and later! I also feel let down by the fact that there are few modern interpretations of the older recipes which is what I was really looking for, it's more about the people and their times than the recipes, a misleading title I think.
Published 14 months ago by Me

5.0 out of 5 stars an essential addition to any food-lover's bookshelf, 24 April 2012
This review is from: A History of Food in 100 Recipes (Hardcover)
It was the serependipitous purchase of some antiquarian cook­ery books that prompted culinary expert William Sitwell ("the one person I would trust to tell the ultimate story of the history of food" according to Raymond Blanc) on this personal odyssey to discover the story of food from prehistory to the present day through a hundred landmark recipes "that help to tell its story". Sitwell admits that his choices are "partisan" and are sometimes surprising, but all are argued for and explained in his charmingly erudite and occasionally tongue-in-cheek descriptions of "the biggest characters, the occasional culinary villain and some of the most delicious food in history".

All in all, an essential addition to any food-lover's bookshelf.

4.0 out of 5 stars History of Food, 30 Oct 2012
This review is from: A History of Food in 100 Recipes (Hardcover)
This book looks wonderful - I have had a quick glance through it - but I have bought it as a present, so don't want to do more than this in case it gets damaged. (This has required serious self-restraint.) There was an excellent review in The Times Weekend section, which put me on to it in the first place, and gave me the idea of buying it for friends who love history and cooking. If it comes out in paperback - I hope so! - I will hope to buy a copy for myself.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 10 Feb 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars A history of food in a 100 recipes, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: A History of Food in 100 Recipes (Hardcover)
As a foodie and great chef I did not like this book - for me all recipe books should have beautiful colour pictures to inspirer without them it does not make me want to try out the recipes

ARRAY(0xac23f514)

A History of Food in 100 Recipes
A History of Food in 100 Recipes by William Sitwell (Hardcover - 12 April 2012)