5.0 out of 5 stars great book
A great book, with loads of exercises for each topic (with answers at the back). Though this is for the IGCSE, I am a maths tutor and I use the relevant sections of it for most of my higher level tutees, even those doing other boards.

Highly recommended.
Published on 13 Oct 2011 by twfan

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors and inconsistency
Published 15 months ago by N. Robinson

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors and inconsistency, 29 April 2013
N. Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Collins IGCSE Maths - IGCSE Maths Edexcel Student Book (Paperback)
I agree with a previous reviewer. I have been using this book to prepare my son for the Maths iGCSE and the answers section is full of errors (as are areas in the teaching section). As an example, in Chapter 8, the section on upper and lower bounds, they explain in an example that lower <= value < upper, but in the case of a value that can't be divided, the upper bound is actually <=. Then in the answers to the questions, they violate that principle. How do you know what is right when they can't be consistent either? There are numerous examples of inaccuracies that are simply wrong and conflict with other parts of the text. Also, one of the answers in the above section was literally just the question text over again???? Does anybody actually edit this stuff? You expect better of a book at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 13 Oct 2011

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Maths book I've bought so far!, 2 Oct 2012
I've bought dozens of Maths books over the last 5 years or so in my work as a tutor. However, this is the best so far. This book is very thorough, clear and has loads of practice exercises - covers Foundation and Higher tier work. Answers at the back of the book. Would recommend this for any course, not just iGCSE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear and easy to use, 14 Feb 2013
We are using this as a self teach guide for home schooling, and it is by far the clearest and easiest to use maths book we've found so far. Definitely recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars Errors everywhere!, 20 April 2013
I am really surprised by all of the above comments praising this book. Has no one seen all of the errors littered throughout it? There are so many errors in the answer section it is ridiculous. Does this publisher not bother with proof reading? Seriously, I know that standards have gone down and these days there are usually a fair few errors in books, but this takes the biscuit. If you are working on maths exercises and you want to check the answers to your working, you need the correct answers in the book! Here we have wrong answers frequently stated; some answers completely missing, and I've even identified answers clearly cut and pasted into the wrong section! Sloppy sloppy sloppy. What happened to the day when publishes took some pride before maximum profit...

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, 26 April 2014
Even used, it was good value and good condition. Its help lots for My daughters with more explain. Recommended KS2/KS3

2.0 out of 5 stars Too many errors, 22 Jan 2014
This book would be okay but there are too many errors and some examples and questions are badly worded. I'd recommend getting a different book. I'm not a teacher but I have studied maths up to engineering degree level. This book seems to have been rushed out. I'm helping a home student and they've only struggled in areas which have mistakes or are poorly worded. That should not be the challenge in learning maths. Disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 15 April 2013
This book is the size of a telephone book, in the days when everyone had a land line! It also has an amazingly unattractive cover, nothing about this book says "come and open me". However, once you open it up it is not at all scary inside, it starts nice and simple, and build things up slowly, explaining as it goes

It has plenty of questions to work at, and avoids large chunks of explanation, it build concepts up slowly. My 14 year old daughter loved it from the start, she sat down and worked through two chapters in one go, humming happily as she went. (And tunelessly, but I suppose I cannot blame the book for that).

I got this to help with GCSE, looking for a book that would cover (roughly) the same topics but in a different way, and with different examples, to the school - and it is hitting that need perfectly.

I would recommend this to anyone looking for GCSE help - and I found it helped with the parts I was unsure about as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014
Excellent in every aspect although money questions are in dollars.

Collins IGCSE Maths - IGCSE Maths Edexcel Student Book