4.0 out of 5 stars Oldie yet goldie
Published on 14 Feb 2011 by Coco

3.0 out of 5 stars First book excellent then it falls down
I adored the first book, smiles at the inspiration drawn from it for the film, sadly by the third I did not care at all for the characters. Julie Andrews Mary Poppins is firm but kind to quote another role of hers, but the book Mary Poppins is a much harsher often selfish, vain and mean character. Read forcibly to the end of book 3 and will not bother with book 4.
Published 10 months ago by Victoria England

4.0 out of 5 stars Oldie yet goldie, 14 Feb 2011
Coco (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mary Poppins - The Complete Collection (Includes all six stories in one volume) (Paperback)
I love Mary Poppins and my children do too (7 and 5). I bought this collection as I found it impossible to find each title separately. It's quite a humdinger of a book and comes without pictures, which is a shame. The children still enjoy the stories and I enjoy reading it to them, but they are disappointed when they want to see an illustration of what is happening in the story.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read book for all ages, 29 Sep 2014
I always love the movie, ever since I first saw it on Disney channel. However I never thought about reading the book until I watch Saving Mr. Bank, which reminds me of the magical story. I came on to Amazon and found this complete collection, with an incredible low price, what a bargain! So far I have read a half, and the stories are wonderful. One thing I like about them is that they are not only easy to read, nicely written, but they have those lessons that never get old. It's somehow like "The little prince" to me (which is another great children story!), but more exciting, joyful and more enjoyable.
I don't mind much about the lack of illustration, I rarely read illustrated books since I find them setting a limit for my imagination - I prefer imagining everything myself to make the story a little bit more "personal". The way the stories were arranged is perfect, neatly done, each chapter shown very clearly with a lovely font. Overall, excellent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Find myself saying 'spit-spot' like Mary. First read Mary Poppins when I was ..., 4 July 2014
Ursula Osborne "Ursula" (Shropshire, England) - See all my reviews
I am 60 so a trip down memory lane. Find myself saying 'spit-spot' like Mary. First read Mary Poppins when I was 11.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mary Poppins - the complete collection., 29 Dec 2013
I did not realise how many stories there are of Mary Poppins. I downloaded this to my Kindle, after going to see the film "Saving Mr Banks"
A great film, Tom Hanks is fascinating as Walt Disney, no other actor could have played him so well.
Anyway back to the collection. The ones that I have read so far, are really magical, and wonderfully written. Will get the hardback version, for my Granddaughter next Christmas. Am sure she will enjoy it.
The way I am reading them is between other full sized novels,for a refreshing and enjoyable break. They are also great bedtime reads.
Would recommend, and so many stories contained in this, it is as "cheap as chips"

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the movie!, 23 Jan 2014
Although I loved the movie as a child I never read the book. When I say Saving Mr Banks recently with my husband, he informed me that the story was untrue and that P. L. Travers never liked the Disney movie. Appalled I decided to finally read the book. It is more than what I expected. I still love the Disney movie but the book has all the many stories packed in one book. Most chapters are small and self contained enough for a bedtime story. Wish I had known when my son was a little boy. Well now it is in my Kindle and I can pull it out for the grandchildren.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Books for Children and Adults, 18 Dec 2010
Great books, an eternal classic! We love it and share with our children. Teaches you to see magic in everyday life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book For All Ages, 30 May 2014
Bought this for my niece as like me she loves book's she tells me that this book is great and finds it hard to put down.
She thinks it's great.
Would recommend it.
Arrived on time from seller, good allround service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful and unsentimental, 3 Dec 2014
Unsentimental story about four children and their crabby, no nonsense nanny. Filled with adventures, both nanny and children live in a reality where flights of fancy are used to reach misbehaving children. Mary Poppins is the original child whisperer. She is able to interrupt wayward patterns of behavior with absurdity, making the child snap back into reason. I enjoyed the book, even with the dated references. Mary Poppins is able to insulate her charges from the bustling word around them, creating an atmosphere where they are not the accessories to their parents busy lives, but important players in their own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought this as a gift, 22 May 2014
Lots of stories and lots of flashbacks to childhood. A decent book, recommended for adults and children. It's pretty large so will take a while to get through!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mary Poppings, 1 May 2014
Its a great book. my granddaughter loves it. She takes my kindle as soon as she arrives and has now finished this book.

Mary Poppins - The Complete Collection (Includes all six stories in one volume)