5.0 out of 5 stars This book transmits wonder and curiosity
I think, with regard to my review title, Brian Cox would be pleased. This book really is superb, it is written with a Childs sense of awe and wonder at the majesty of the world around us. An artist once said that a scientist doesn't see a flower in all it's beauty as if science detracts from the aesthetics of it, Richard Feynman - famous physicist - objected, saying I see...
Published on 10 Mar. 2011 by D. Lane

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonders of the Universe with dreamy photos of Brian Cox
Brian Cox's enthusiasm and knowledge of his subject are obvious. I would recommend this book to a beginner in the subject. However, I fail to see how the full page pictures of Brian are supposed to help me understand about the universe. Buy this one as a primer for your children.
Published on 18 Sept. 2012 by Mr. D. L. Fanning

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 422 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Professor Cox does it again!, 16 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
Having watched the four part TV series, I was delighted to acquire the accompanying book which is in four parts, matching the TV series. Professor Cox has a way of explaining the complex in the most simple of terms and I loved every moment of my read. I learned more from this one book regarding the universe than from anything else I have read. I began to understand entropy which I never thought I would. And the photos are stunning. Not only does it cover the beginning, progression and the current development of everything in the known universe, it also predicts the future. "...our understanding of fundamental physics allows us to make concrete predictions about how they will end their days." And he is talking of the ultimate destiny of the universe in about '10 to the power of 100' years - and as he says, that is a big number. To me, that is the biblical equivalent of sound prophecy - based on science. Thus, although believers in gods may not like it, as this accurately covers all known space/time, past, present and future, to me it is the ultimate Bible - and science is God and people like Cox are his prophets. My all time favourite learning experience, coupled with Dawkins' 'Greatest Show on Earth' through which I gained a similarly satisfying understanding of evolution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Universe Insight, 23 April 2011
witchygirl (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
This is a fantastic book to further the television program with Prof. Brian Cox. The pictures are amazing and there is more time to study them. The other excellent thing is you can read the words and undersand them without the OTT music that was on the program. This is a book that will be read and re-read. If you enjoyed the TV program or if you didn't even see it I recommend this book. It explains so much in laymans language .

5.0 out of 5 stars The wonder of Brian, 21 July 2011
J. Grant (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
Like the rest of the nation, my 11 year old son is obsessed with Professor Brian Cox and he recently decided to write to him to ask if he would come and be his teacher. I wish he would - the world needs more scientists like him. Just as he does in his programmes, Professor Cox's book is written with such passion and enthusiasm that you can't help but smile upon reading it. He delights in his subject like a child, full of excitement at getting to convey how he feels about his subject. I have learnt more from him than any schooling or other books I have read on the subject. He manages to explain terribly complicated science and ideas with a delightful simplicity that makes you want to stay out in the garden all night staring into the stars. I would definitely recommend this book for anyone interested in the wonders of the universe but also to people who have never even thought of approaching it as an area of interest. I heard an interview with Cox recently where he claimed that science should be as exciting to people as rock and roll and I agree - so, if you're looking for something new, surely Cox is the Elvis of space?..

5.0 out of 5 stars good book to complement the tv show, 26 April 2011
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a present for my son-in-law who loves all things scientific. I had watched the excellent TV show, and couldn't resist a bit of a read of the book before I gave it to him. It is well written and beautifully illustrated, and if you liked the TV series you will find it very good as it explains everything but in more depth. Absorbing reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonders of the Universe, 2 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
I'm a sixth form student tudying physics and further maths. This book is a superb insight to astrology and the universe; It has linked together many aspects of my physics topics including Young's double slit experiment and its practical uses. I urge anyone who has a passion for astrology to buy this book, and also anyone who is intriged about the beyond.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonders of the Universe by Brian Cox, 4 April 2011
C. Richards "JMR" (March, Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
I was fasinated by the series Wonders of the Solar System, and had been hoping that there would be another series, and was elated when I found out that he (Prof Brian Cox)was doing another series on the Wonders of the Universe. The book covers all the subjects that were covered by the series, and is wonderfully illustrated and explained. I hope there is more to be covered, and future books and series will become available. It really opens your eyes to the vastness of our planet and its potential!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gemmastronomer--Another great Brian Cox book- easy to understand!!, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
This book is very good as the layout and context of it is very easy to understand.
I would definitly recommend this book to any astronomer out there who is just beginning to learn about our universe and what lies within it!!
5 stars from me!!!
Thanks a lot for a lovely detailed understanding book!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Wonders of The Universe ~ Brian Cox, 17 April 2011
Mr. K. Stuhler (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
I purchased this book as an accompaniment to the BBC TV series and was definitely not disappointed. Professor Cox writes in a clear concise way that makes complex things understandable to the layman not just a physicist.
Highly recommended book to all with a passing interest in physics and astronomy

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read astronomy, 27 July 2013
This was such a great book to learn about recent ideas on astronomy. I downloaded it onto my tablet so I could read it in colour. It was such an easy read and enjoyable. Although I have a science background I learnt quite a lot and the pictures are stunning. Worth reading whatever your background.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book, 30 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Wonders of the Universe (Hardcover)
Although occasionally a bit heavy on the physics, the book is written in the style that Brian Cox uses on the telly, and so draws you in. Illustrations are stunning. You may have to read some passages over to get them into the brain, but a must for school projects and amatuer star gazers alike!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 422 | Next ›

Wonders of the Universe
Wonders of the Universe by Andrew Cohen (Hardcover - 3 Mar. 2011)