5.0 out of 5 stars The best baking book I've seen .. ever.
I first heard about Dan's recipes from my sister. You must follow his recipes in the Guardian she said - they always work and they turn out exactly as they do in the picture. She was right and I've cooked so many of Dan's recipes and they always work every time. (In fact I have a sourdough loaf baking in the oven as I write this review!) I've make the Lemon curd today...
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by Vanessa Kimbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the quality!
The recipes are just divine. The book cover is not.

I bought a couple as gifts but will be returning them. The spine & corners rip incredibly easily. It's like the book has been covered with newsprint.

Such a shame as it would have made a wonderful Christmas gift, if the quality were of a higher standard.

I will be keeping one copy for...
Published on 11 Oct 2011 by Helluva

‹ Previous | 15 6 712 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Baking Book, 11 Jan 2014
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I initially bought this book as a christmas present for one of my great-nieces but once I had started reading it I had to buy a copy for myself. I have been making bread for years but have found that Dans method is both easier to do and produces a really wonderful loaf. I have made a few of the different breads as well as some of his other recipes and have been pleased with everything. This would be the book I would save if a fire broke out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for bread fans, 10 Jan 2014
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Kindle Edition)
I've tried quite a few of Dan's bread recipes and particularly liked his easy white sandwich loaf which doesn't need much kneading so ideal for those with less than strong hands! I also use my food processor with dough hook instead of kneading and the results are very good. Well worth a look if you enjoy making your own bread - it really is worth investing the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for any home baker, 6 Jan 2014
A. Field - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I asked for this book for Christmas and already I am on my 4th recipe from it.

The first recipe I tried was the pork pies. These were amazing. They took three days in total as I had to allow for them to chill in the fridge at different stages. The recipe however is simple, broken down into sensible chunks and they turned out looking so authentic, I will definitely make them again. My lunch guests were very impressed.

I have since made the Apple, Walnut and Custard Pudding, the basic white loaf and today I am attempting another one of the bread recipes for a typical sandwich loaf.

I usually don't have much luck with biscuits, but after trying Dan's recipes and having such great results, I'll be trying biscuits next!

I cannot recommend this book highly enough. It makes you attempt recipes you wouldn't normally dream of, because you trust them to work and you're not afraid to put the hours in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some duplication, 31 Dec 2013
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I bought this book because I wholeheartedly agree with the comments of other reviewers who say that Dan Lepard is brilliant. His recipes for cakes and biscuits are written with the voice of authority and experience and I have been using his recipe for wholemeal bread weekly since 2007. I don't buy supermarket bread at all anymore and am grateful to Dan for that.

This book is idiot-proof and the accompanying photographs will inspire you to get your mixing bowl out. It will be helpful to novice bakers and old hands alike.

So yes, the book is great bur regular readers of The Guardian - and those who have The Guardian Guide to Baking - will already be familiar with at least some of the recipes and the accompanying text that are reproduced here in "Short and Sweet", so don't buy this book if you want 100% "new" recipes.

And yes, the cover of the hardback is less than durable but that's true of a great many cookery books these days. Plastic dust-jackets are readily available in good bookshops, so don't let that put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
received this last week and have read through a few recipes. There are lots i want to try. I have many baking books (and thought i probably didn't need another) but the reviews for this were so good i bought it. They weren't wrong! there are lots of good tips and ideas and some really interesting looking recipes which i look forward to trying.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book!, 18 Nov 2013
Jane (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I got this book a week ago and have already made 3 recipes from it. They have turned out perfectly and I just can't wait to try everything else as well. It's lovely to read, easy to follow and I feel I am now going to be buying more of Dan Lepards books?,

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing., 28 Oct 2013
L. Higgins - See all my reviews
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
Such a fantastic baking bible. Dan has failesafe recipes form pretty much anything that you could imagine baking. Definitely one to buy the baker in your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good one, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
This is a lovely book, full of interesting receipes, yet I cannot label them as easy, each time I want to make something, I need to prepare myself - do the shopping, plan the time. But I recommend it, as baking cannot be only nice and easy :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A reliable friend for the baker, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I use this book as a resource for teaching students in my bakery. It comes with tempting and realistic photos of the end results, and most importantly I know I can absolutely rely on Dan's recipes. Everything I've tried in this book has worked particularly well and often recieves praise from fellow bakers. Such reliablility can be a rare quality in a lot of other baking books

5.0 out of 5 stars There are no words..., 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: Short and Sweet (Hardcover)
I am really finding it hard to know where to start. From the beautiful soft candy-coloured cover to the beautiful photographs sprinkled throughout the text, this book is just about perfect. The recipes are divine, the layout is clear and logical, and it is written in a wonderful companionable style.What I like best though is that there is a distinct lack of pretension about this book. Dan Lapard could get away with being very grandiose but here he is very close to the reader, full of reassurance, like having your mum in the kitchen with you, looking over your shoulder making sure everything is going OK. Made the soft crust apple pie yesterday and the second one is almost gone! Irresistable. Buy this book.

‹ Previous | 15 6 712 | Next ›

Short and Sweet
Short and Sweet by Dan Lepard (Hardcover - 29 Sep 2011)
17.00