Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 February 2014
I have had a bit of a problem trying to learn Irish grammar, especially as I was never taught proper grammar in English, and so had no reference points when it came to noun cases and declensions and the like.

I have Teach Yourself Irish grammar you really need to know, and while this is an excellent book, it does kind of throw you in at at the deep end a little, but Collins easy learning Irish grammar explains things simply and clearly, there are "What is?" sections at the start of each section e.g. "what is a Noun?, What is a conjunction?". These really help if you are not familiar with such terms, and are of great help to me as I am rather unfamiliar with them too.

In coclusion, I would say that if you are looking for your first grammar book for learning Irish, or just one that is easier to follow, you could do much worsethan to start with this one. Incidently, although other customers may have had issues with the binding, the copy I purchased was in very good condition, so it isn't a problem endemic to this volume, just dependant on the quality of the book you purchase.
on 11 May 2012
I am new to learning Irish and I am no linguist so I cannot tell you how good this book is in absolute terms. However, I can understand it so probably most will! One major defficiency - the binding. It is really poor - I am on page 50(of 250ish) and all 50 pages(25 leaves) have come out. Consideribg this is a reference book I do understand the publisher's decision on binding. I know the book is cheap but why not charge another 50p and do a decent job of the binding? I have just bought a sheet music book from Germany for about a £1 more and the book has stitched binding on high quality paper so why cannot Collins do better? Really poor, really annoying!!
on 4 March 2013
This would have been a good book except that it fell apart the very first time I opened it due to appalling binding, rendering it completely useless.
on 2 June 2015
This book proved great in helping me to understand Irish in my Irish exams. The grammar is laid out in a clear and concise format, including everything you could possibly need to know about Irish grammar. Unlike the standard Irish books found in secondary schools (which are very unclear and all in Irish) this book puts all the grammar simply and more significantly, in English. The book also includes useful information on things such as names and dates and times, as well as verbs tables at the back of the book for the irregular verbs and some more difficult regular verbs. Earlier reviews state there was a problem with binding on the book but the copy I received was well bound and had no physical problems. I would definitely recommend it to any enthusiasts of Irish.
on 21 December 2013
Great help for the Grammar Revision I keep threatening to do. I am doing diploma in Irish Language and have dipped into this a fair few time to keep me on track
on 13 January 2013
Easy to follow well set out, clearly explained, plenty of examples to back up the information. Should help most Gaegleors. Excellent for me!!!!
on 5 January 2012
The concept of this book is very good. It has a nice layout, and all the major grammatical areas are covered. I have contacted Collins in relation to some Grammatical errors in the book, and they have advised that they will look again at the publication. Apart from the few errors, it is a worthwhile book, very attractive and well designed for learners of Irish Grammar.
on 25 July 2015
Another useful language book from Collins. They have good explanations and breakdowns of more complex grammar rules that make it easier for people to understand - especially if they are just starting out with a particular language. Have bought many books in this series and all are of the same quality.
on 9 June 2015
I wish the book would include a quick guide on pronunciation. Overall good buy.
on 3 October 2015
A perfect little grammar book for those starting to learn the Irish language.