Format: PaperbackChange

on 23 July 2014
Full disclosure - I have huge respect for Dave Grohl and have been lucky enough to see him live in London on nine occasions with four of his bands over the last 23 years (Nirvana x 3 / QOTSA x 1 / Them Crooked Vultures x 2 / Foo Fighters x 3). I also came to this book a good 2-3 years after it was first published. Having read the other reviews of this book, they are fair and balanced - this book will largely hit your sweet spot if you have a penchant for detail about the US hardcore/metal scene in the 1980's (I do and I loved this part of the book) & the Nirvana years. The book is well written and is positive and kind about Mr. Grohl's output - I personally find a lot of later period Foo Fighters to be be rather bland - whilst not seemingly finding digging very deep into revealing more about Dave as a person. The quotes are from interviews and other media sources, so whilst the author has had some good access when new releases were being promoted, this is not an authorised biography. There is almost a total lack of embarrasing stories - a man who drinks absinthe out of choice and who has been a touring muscian for over 25 years will have many notable stories of debauchery - none feature here. There is much detail in the book for even the comitted fan, I bought the Probot album due to this book - I love it - and the overall quality of the writing made this a highly enjoyable read.
on 5 September 2014
If there's one thing I DON'T want to read in my lifetime, it's an authorised biography of Dave Grohl. Because there is no way this guy is anywhere near finished what he's been put on this planet for. Music biographies, especially more recently, seem to be for those who know that they're coming to the end of their careers and are looking to get some kind of time line of their life down on paper before they potter off into a retirement of reunion tours and speaking circuits. I have a feeling that Dave is nowhere near that point, and probably never will be.

However, this book isn't just a look at Grohl's life. It's more a way to connect the dots between the punk, grunge, and 1990's (onwards) rock scene and Grohl's personal involvement with them. For me, it was an inspiring book of one guy who dropped out of high school, chased his dreams and caught them thereby changing the face of music as we know. It's definitely a kick up the ass for any of us who work in the arts and constantly find ourselves facing the proverbial brick walls (if you're looking for another kick up the ass, I highly recommend Grohl's 2013 SXSW Keynote speech. It's not just for the musicians!).

If you're looking for a book that focuses on rock n' roll excess, this isn't the one for you. This is a book that, especially in Grohl's eyes, is about the most important thing of all: The music.
on 18 January 2015
Such a great read very detailed, and funny chapters are long buy just a great excuse not to put the book down.
I laughed and chuckled through it the first couple chapters go over in better details his younger days whichninwill find which is covered I sonic highways - Washington I believe. A must for any rock or grohl fan
on 12 October 2011
Written from the perspective of a former Editor, this work is well written and covers in great detail the various makings and breakings of Dave Grohl the individual, the front man and the genius.

Paul Brannigan has provided an entertaining and engaging snapshot into the life of the man that has featured prominently at various stages of the past twenty years in the music business.

The background given on the many players in the kaleidoscopic music scene of Grohl's youth and beyond enriches the text so that is is more than merely a reflection on one person alone. Thankfully, the story of Nirvana and Grohl's place in it is told proportionately to his many other exploits and avoids turning the book into a eulogy of what once was.

I highly recommend this work.
on 5 April 2014
A very good read and very informative of Dave Grohl a true lover of music and incredible multi talented musician. Points out the true dedication and heart he put in to his love of music and his admiration of past groups that influenced him. It also points out the problems of finding the right musician and recording studios. Also the problem of drugs ruing peoples lives. If you are a grunge or punk fan this is for you. My taste was always stuck in the 60s to 70's rock, blues, folk and progressive era and regret not keeping up to date with the later stuff the heavy metal punk grunge etc that my son is in to. I will also recommend watching the Sound City documentary that was shown on BBC4 and hope they will repeat it. I agree with him analogue recording is a true way of recording and not the cheating digital way. For those fans Dave Grohls friends, family and fans I salute and regret not being aware of a hard working genius. I hope one day when I am a healthier pensioner I can see him performing and enjoy mixing with his fans. Please buy this masterpiece of a biography.
on 6 November 2014
I both bought this as a gift and received it too.

It gives a good insight into the Seattle punk scene and when read with "it's so easy" by Duff McKagan, gives a real taste of the vitality that led to so many groups.

I personally have a major soft spot for Dave Grohl so I enjoyed the book on that basis alone
on 12 January 2014
This is a really enjoyable read on Dave Grohl, tracing back to his early to being part of the best Grunge band on the planet, before fronting his own awesome modern rock band, a great read on a modern rock idol and true all round musician/singer songwriter!!
on 16 February 2013
A real heart felt in-depth look into the life of one of Rocks greastest icons! It really shows why he is such a nice guy after the life he lived, through Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, and the tragedies along the way! A great read
on 10 August 2014
A decent read but as its written by a music journalist its written from a very factual perspective. Provides a good insight into the development of the music genres that shaped Dave Grohl. Until the man himself tells his own story its probably the best book to give you an idea of the guy. He strikes me as the kind of guy that has no urge to write a book about himself (but hope I'm wrong) and then you may have something to compare with a great autobiography eg Slash's. Worth a read and will definitely open doors for new bands and influences.
on 3 December 2013
I found this very entertaining and as this was my first book on Grohl/Nirvana this was a very interesting read. Got me to listening Nirvana again...