VINE VOICEon 18 July 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I can't believe David Lloyd is an acquired taste. If you love cricket, you have to love him. This book gives you everything you know and love about Bumble via his opinions on the history of the Ashes.

At times I was laughing out loud and its written in the same inimitable style that Lloyd brings to the commentary booth. There are flights of fancy, off-topic asides and more than a little genuine cricket knowledge to boot. It features tales about his own specific involvement in ashes series along with more general anecdotes and is never less than engrossing.

If you love Cricket then this is a book for you.
on 10 June 2013
I bought this book for my dad but read it first and really enjoyed it. If you're a fan of Bumble's commentary you won't be disappointed - his voice really comes through and it's packed with great stories from Ashes series down the years (his description of getting hit in the 'coconuts' by Aussie fast-bowler Jeff Thompson is laugh out loud funny). Highly recommended.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The text is written in true David Lloyd style. His personal recollections of events and incidents during the Ashes series, both recent, and not so recent, are truly amusing.

If you have heard "Bumble" commentating you will know he has a very engaging manner that really makes one want to listen to what he has to say. His "The Ashes according to Bumble" so captures his devilment that reading it is almost as though he were there with you, actually reading the book to you.

This book refers to some rather well known events, but Bumble gives them a different feeling - one of pure magic.
Start the car Bumble's here,
David Lloyd, aka "Bumble" has perhaps the most unique style of commentary on television, blending his own brand of gentle northern wit with anecdotes from years of experience as a player, umpire, coach and pundit.
This book is 8 chapters of genuinely funny and interesting stories relating to the history of ashes cricket, sprinkled with a liberal amount of relevant statistics. I could hear Bumble's voice in my head as I read and I found myself smiling most of the time as I turned the pages.
Chapter 9 is Lloyd's own selection of the best-mixed ashes team of all time.
Here I really disagreed with some of his picks, but that is all part of the immense joy that is cricket and it finishes the book perfectly.
I have lost count of the number of cricket books I have read over the years but this is one of the best.
Writing a funny book is difficult but Lloyd pulls it off.
Most of the stories were fresh and some of the stats obscure, which I personally prefer.
I recommend this book, it is better than a pair of Beefy's underpants.
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Every sport needs its Sid Waddell type commentator. Someone who can transmit their enthusiasm and love of the game through knowledgeable and distinctive commentary, which occasionally gives way to wonderfully funny hyperbole - sometimes intentional, sometimes not. Having grown up listening to TMS with Brian Johnstone, Henry Blofeld, Christopher M-J, Bill Frindall, et al. Bumble epitomises that type of commentator; someone who can add value to commentary with anecdotes of his time playing with and being around some of the characters of the game. This isn't Nobel Literature Prize material but if you enjoy cricket and are looking forward to our battle with the old enemy this summer it is very funny, and you can just hear Bumble's Lancashire accent mashing his way through it. Sets up the summer Ashes Tour quite nicely. Remember if it all goes pear shaped: "Get ready to start the car".
on 10 June 2013
Quality read! Great follow up, just as funny as the first book. A true legend of the sport. When's the next one coming?
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 4 July 2013
Format: Hardcover|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Being the same age as the Author and shared a love of cricket for the same period this book constantly reminded me of how time has flown. I kept thinking, surely it cant be that long ago when that happened but it certainly was.
Having watched cricket in Australia and England this series of facts, figures and memories from the only Test Series that really matters was enjoyable from start to finish.
The book is bang up to date with England having won the test series in India and with the Ashes 2013/14 , home and away matches just starting and being back to back,this time we are in for a stressful time yet again.
I remember Bumble fondly on Test Match Special on BBC Radio and did not follow him across to Sky Sports alas but this book has made up for it.
on 20 June 2013
I bought this despite not having enjoyed 'Start the Car', simply because David Lloyd is so funny on telly. This book is much better, although he does like to tell you how much of England and Lancashire's success is down to him - modesty is not his strongest trait! But this time you do get an alternative view of the Ashes over the years, and it is a good read. I probably wouldn't buy a third book if he wrote one - there is too much in his books about "how this all started under me" and "This is really a follow-up to what I started when I was....". Worth it, though, this one, for insights such as the Botham-Chappell feud, and he does know cricket from pretty well every angle, so should be listened to. I just wish he let his achievements speak for themselves.
on 18 September 2013
Bought this book for my Son in Law for his 50th birthday but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it before I wrapped it up and gave it as a gift. David LLoyd is the most amusing cricket pundit and he is also a Lancashire Lad perfect
I found this a mixed bag of a book. The 200 or so pages which are actually about David Lloyd's personal involvement in The Ashes as player, coach and commentator are pretty good, but there's some very thin stuff and some out-and-out padding, too. If you like Bumble's sense of humour you may well love this book. I'm not so keen on it myself so I didn't find it as hilarious as some people, but he's a knowledgeable and thoughtful bloke under the oh-so-jokey persona and there was enough here to make me glad I'd read it.

The meat of the book is Bumble's personal thoughts and experiences of The Ashes (including, of course, the Thommo at Perth incident which causes every male cricket lover to wince and cross his legs at its very mention), and his thoughts and insights into the players, staff and tactics are well worth reading. It's not the best-written of books, with, an especially idiosyncratic, use of commas. This, coupled with the lightweight rush through some Ashes history to start with, and two frankly dire chapters toward the end which consist of unfunny "comedy" stuff about his wife, his local football club and random press cuttings about sexual practices made me think that this had been padded and rushed out in time to cash in on the 2013 series rather than properly, thoughtfully written and edited. And the cover...dear Lord!

I've given this four stars (just) because I did enjoy the real Ashes stuff and found it interesting and quite often insightful. It's not a great book by any means, but there's enough here to provide a couple of diverting hours between Test Matches.

(Oh, and nothing to do with the overall quality of the book, but he's picked an "All-Time Ashes XI" which doesn't include Bradman. That's right. No Bradman. I mean, come on, Bumble - there's a difference between being a cross-grained individualist and being plain wrong, mate.)