I was quite shocked by the eejits 1 star review.

I heard about this book on Radio 4, the interview was amazing because you have a stereotypical view of the guy. He isn't actually Johnny Vegas, this is a character that he's created, in someways to deal with what he's gone through.

As a Catholic I've read with so much interest, I knew about Upholland,...
Published 9 months ago by Pucca84

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring in parts.
Published 5 months ago by Pearly Queen

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing life story, forget prejudice, remember walk in someone's shoes..., 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Hardcover)
I was quite shocked by the eejits 1 star review.

As a Catholic I've read with so much interest, I knew about Upholland, Id heard the rumours, you could hear the pain in Johnny's voice when he was talking about this subject, it really struck my heart.

This IS NOT your typical, generic vacuous celebrity garbage. It's the one celebrity book where you feel that he has really lived, he has had life experiences you couldn't imagine looking at the guy now. We're not talking Katie Price & other Z Listers this really is an interesting read.

5.0 out of 5 stars johnny vegas, 21 Jan 2014
I am thoroughly enjoying this book cos so easy to read its just like he's talking to us and have a good giggle too

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant......., 27 Nov 2013
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Audio CD)
I have not been a great reader of books, plus being a lorry driver I spend a lot of time on the road. So putting the two scenarios together I collect a lot of audio books. It is great to have someones autobiography read by themselves because they give so much of their real feelings when they go over their lives. Becoming Johnny Vagas is true to this point. Micheal tells you the surprising other side of his life with Johnny. I realy enjoyed this audio book and fully reccomend you listen to this, even if you have read the book, because you may get more out of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Revelation, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Hardcover)
Having known Johnny for nearly 20 years I knew Johnny Vegas was created by Michael Pennington but not how it came about. This autobiography, which at times reads like a novel, shows how and why this symbiotic relationship developed. A wonderful read with many funny and touching times captured in its pages. I would recommend it to anyone particularly those people who don't like Johnny Vegas, this will change your minds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Audio Book read by Johnny Vegas, 21 Oct 2013
D. S. Robb "Storm" (Stafford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Audio CD)
This is one of the most fantastically engaging audiobooks I've ever listened to. Johnny's way of recounting childhood memories interjected with his own humorous description is brilliant. It brought back many of my own childhood memories and thoughts at the time and made me yearn for those days gone by. It is something I could and will listen to over and over again. Highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 16 Feb 2014
Dawn (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Audio CD)
Got this to listen too in the car - and because of the excellent reviews. It certainly was not a disappointment and has made me like this complex and intelligent man even more than before. I would recommend this even if you are not a fan of Johnny Vegas as his story is so interesting and honest. Also very well written and shows his intelligence in his well thought out memories and reflections. Hope he writes another one in a few years time. The CD brings it even more to life being narrated by the great man himself.He had me laughing, cringing and crying all in one journey - and at times I did not want the journey to end as I was enjoying listening so much.

3.0 out of 5 stars Boring in parts., 9 Feb 2014
The story of Michael Pennington's youth is quite interesting - although his fixation with masturbation does get quite tedious. It tells of his emotional journey, and how the ranting self-pitying Johnny Vegas took over and became popular. Repeated descriptions of him getting drunk also start to get boring, but I suppose in order to get to know the 'real' Micheal/Johnny you have to read all that stuff, but I found myself skim reading when he droned on about yet another preparation for a gig, involving getting completely hammered.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this guy, 31 Jan 2014
Brilliant and so different. Not "lovey" at all which is a trait I find so sickening in Celeb. biographies. Michael was very brave to detail his life as he did but what a likeable and genuine person he seems to be. Hope he stays popular for ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed by this Autobiography, 25 Jan 2014
I love autobiographies but in the last couple of years I have have been so underwhelmed and disappointed in most of them. Downloaded them, read them and thought, was that written by a 12 year old?. Found that many are written by ghost writers so they all sound the same. I plod along and learn nothing about the person at all. But not this one! Johnny Vegas, real name, Michael Penlington writes in a most intelligent and insightful way. He is very self deprecating, and it was not until his alter ego, Johnny Vegas, took over that he was able to become as successful as he is. His explanations of how he got to be Johnny Vegas sometimes went into great detail, but I understood why. I just got it! He was trying to let us know his deep feelings and in my mind this is what an autobiography is all about.The amount he had to drink, and the routine around his drinking, to become Johnny is truly frightening! His family seem to have been very nice and family background very good, so you wonder why is this man so hurt. You find out then that when he was 11 he went to a school to prepare him for the Catholic priesthood. Because he was suddenly the great guy in his neighborhood he stuck it out even though he hated every minute of it! The regime in this boarding school and the way he and young boys were treated was to have a lasting effect on him.Luckily he only lasted for 4 terms and decided to leave in a most dramatic way! I laughed and cried reading this book and just hope he is now at peace with himself(I know he must be because he is married to a lovely Irish woman).When I finished this book I felt there has to be another one on the way so roll on. Read this book you will never look at Johnny Vegas in the same way again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: Becoming Johnny Vegas (Hardcover)
If you are a fan of Johnny Vegas and you get his humour then you will enjoy this book. I certainly did, and as I was raised in the Catholic faith, there was much for me to relate to!

Becoming Johnny Vegas
Becoming Johnny Vegas by Johnny Vegas (Hardcover - 26 Sep 2013)
10.00