Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 March 2011
Wonderful old Richard Scarry. But -

This book hasn't got the wealth of detail of 30 years ago - when his books were unique in style and a massive cut above anything else of the type.

Back then his books of "Busy Town" people, with their small but mecanically correctly drawn vehicles, dozens of little funny actions/happenings/scenes, packed together tightly on each page - these would keep my son absorbed for an hour or more at a time, from aged 2yrs to about 9 or 10.
This curent book will keep my truck-obsessed grandson occupied for about 5 mins, no more.

The drawings are certainly Scarry's - or in his style. Scarry died in 1994 so this book is either: -
a) drawings lifted from earlier books and just a few, enlarged then spread out very thinly over each page; or
b) done by Scarry's son, Richard Jnr.

The drawings in this book do have the charm and humour of the originals. But the disappointment was in the scattering of so few of them over each page. The resultant loss of Scarry's style - dense packed action and multiple incidents to search for, which caused the total absorbtion of the child back then - was sad to see.

My recommendation - hunt for the old Scarry books, they are pure gold.
on 20 January 2015
I was brought up with Richard Scarry's storybooks. I'm now bringing up my daughter in much the same fashion. Scarry's books amuse and educate at the same time. And my daughter and I do enjoy the time we spend togerher reading those stories.
on 25 October 2014
This is a really great book for pre-k kids. No conflict, funny stuff (for kids) and wonderfully illustrated. Hey, It's Richard Scarry!
on 30 October 2014
A big let down .... Sorry that I paid what I paid for it. Hoping my son will show interest when he's a bit older.
on 4 November 2014
Thanks very much. Just what I expected and a good price too, David.
on 19 January 2016