5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightened
I was astonished by this book. I was astonished by the HRH that wrote it. It has put my view of the man on an entirely different level, and happy I will be to have such a King.

Published on 30 May 2011 by Jack Rabbit

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity!
Published 13 months ago by David Lesser

5.0 out of 5 stars Enlightened, 30 May 2011

The depth of learning on which his words are based is extraordinary, and I know this because he follows quite uncannilly my own. He brings up many issues I have, quotes the exact verses I have, and tries to help move us forward in ways I haven't yet got to grips with.

I know his basis in philosophy will make a lot wince, but I know what he says is true; it is the very path I started along myself. Since we appear to have walked the same road and come to the same conclusions, there must be something born of right thought in it.

His explanation of the lost ecological essence of the major religions is remarkable to me since I have struggled with the paradox of how far religion has moved away from our Source, the Earth. It is indeed this fracture that has made us believe we are masters of the planet. Man cannot create one blade of grass! We are made up of the rocks and minerals, the air, water, and bacteria of this planet - we are part of it, and it is all of us. We do not exist without it, we are One.

He has done a very remarkable and brave job of pulling the threads together. I agree entirely that we must control ourselves - our population size - or we will go beyond the Earth's willingness to sustain us. This is critical; solving our insane lack of selfcontrol, and sealing the rift between knowledge and knowing, selfishness and community, human and all else, is vital.

Science is a mode of enquiry and it has given us much, but it is only that. There is much that we do not know, much that we never will. We are viewing the world through a letterbox and it's about time we got a much wider holistic outlook whilst there is still beauty to be dreamed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. The whole world should read this book., 15 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World (Audio CD)
Charles, Prince of Wales puts into very inspiring yet understandable words a highly complex relationship and congruence between nature, art, science, environment and spirituality. This is an exceedingly easy to follow book and an exceedingly beautifully read audiobook by Prince Charles. Many people prejudiced about monarchy will in the future acknowledge this ground breaking work. HRH quotes with equal ease Theodore Alexander, Pythagoras and Lao Tzu - at the same time showing the similarity of a Stradivarius violin with the essential geometry of nature.
An often misunderstood pioneer of alternative thought, organic farming and human scale architecture, he makes his points with unassuming surety. Anybody but the most truculent doubter will surely see the relationship and custodianship we have with nature and our own spirituality explained in this MUST listen-to audiobook.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent contribution to our world, 2 May 2011
D. F. PENNANT "dfpennant" (Woking, UK) - See all my reviews
The title is apt; the message of the book is that we need to learn to live in harmony with our planet and not fight against it.
The book is more than a mere plea for sustainability. There are excellent photographs on almost every page, each with an extended caption explaining its significance. There is much relevant information about the state of the world, most of which was new to me, and of projects doing something about the many problems we face. There is also a helpful analysis of how we got to where we are, century by century, including an attempt to grapple with the underlying philosophical ideas, all in layman's language.
This is not an ivory tower rant: Prince Charles has been active for many years in the areas he writes about. He himself started eighteen of the twenty charities of which he is patron.
As a comitted Christian, I find his "All faiths have value" stance difficult, but despite that, this book is brilliant. It makes a good birthday present, as it is not too expensive in hardback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everybody should read this book., 11 Mar. 2011
This is a very well written book covering the whole area of problems that we face as humans on our fragile planet. It covers the history of how we got to where we are and why we think like we do, but also dares to suggest that we should take note of where we went wrong, which was mainly divorcing ourselves from nature and living in discord with it instead of in harmony.

The breadth is amazing covering philosophy, art, ecology, agriculture, architecture, global warming, education, economics, health, spirituality the list goes on, but the main theme is that you can't divorce one from the other. Life is a system in which they're all interrelated.

The other point it makes is although science has raised our standard of living considerably over the last four hundred years, we must remember that it always proves itself wrong as it progresses. Nature on the other hand has had nearly fourteen billion years to get it right.

Another thing I love about this book is that it challenges our need for constant economic growth and more and more material things, happiness isn't measured by how much we possess. What we need is empathy for other humans, animals and nature itself, foresight for what a beautiful planet we could have and an awareness of where we are going wrong. It also offers many pointers on how to achieve these things.

The Prince is obviously a deeply spiritual man (and I don't mean religious) and comes from a world centric perspective. If only there were more public figures like him.

The book begins with a call for a revolution! Well I for one speak the same language and when there is enough of us we'll have a wonderful planet to hand down to our children and grand children.

5.0 out of 5 stars A holistic approach to 21st century living, 8 May 2011
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Harmony: A new way of looking at our world by H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, Tony Juniper and Ian Skelly, HarperCollins, London, 2010, 332 ff.

A holistic approach to 21st century living
By Howard Jones

This is a lavishly illustrated `coffee-table book' that summarizes some of the real and potential environmental challenges confronting us today. It reflects Prince Charles' world-view with which we are already quite familiar. The principal authors of the book were the well-known environmentalist Tony Juniper and writer and broadcaster Ian Skelly. The photographs in the book are of the same breathtaking quality we see in the National Geographic magazine.

The message of the book, as the title makes clear, is a holistic approach to environmental problems. The opening chapters on Harmony and Nature bring into focus the reason why we desperately need a new philosophy of living in the world. In The Golden Thread chapter the authors describe some of the sacred geometry of the ancients. The Age of Disconnection and Renaissance deal with the rise of scientific materialism and determinism, and the final chapters on Foundations and Relationship point up the need for a more unifying and spiritually holistic outlook to human life.

Just how much some materialists need to learn is indicated by the comments of one reviewer that `Spirituality isn't, as this book suggests, the solution; it's the problem', though in just what way spirituality is a problem is not made clear. Of course, the advances achieved through scientific materialism are enormous and they contribute to the quality of life of millions of us today. However, obsessive and possessive materialism, which is a canker that infects many in the world, and its theoretical development as scientism with its total rejection of spirituality, have caused very many of the world's environmental problems.

This `way of looking at our world' is not new by any means. Living in harmony with the environment was the survival ethos of indigenous pagan people: it was revived around half a century ago by the `peace and love' generation of the 1960s. But in the 21st century, it is certainly one that needs to be embraced by many millions more people as Prince Charles and his co-authors suggest if humankind is to survive into the next century.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, U.K.; and The World as Spirit published by Fairhill Publishing, Whitland, West Wales, 2011.

Earthmind: A Modern Adventure in Ancient Wisdom
The Last Hours of Ancient Sunlight: Waking Up to Personal and Global Transformation
Hell and High Water: Climate Change, Hope and the Human Condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Arts or Science must we choose, 28 Feb. 2011
A quick dip into this book is all that is necessary to establish that it is written by the Prince and not ghost written in his name. The terminology the enthusiasm and the vast accumulated sometimes first hand knowledge, which only one such as the Prince would possess; is demonstrated throughout. The author accepts that he has his critics which he refers to as the ''usual suspect but is not deterred.

The book is a balance between an academic work and a dose of realism. It is not a book which can be read from begining to end in one go it requires time.

Many of the ideas put forward by the author fly in the face of people such as some academics and those who believe that science is the answer to all. The author questions the effect on society of technology such as computers as the 'fait accompli' with which so many are forced.

This book reminds the reader to appreciate the beauty that exists whilst is still does.

Anyone who considers themselves to be well informed should spend time with this book with an open mind and then, ask themselves,

"Have I got my priorities right?"

Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World

2.0 out of 5 stars A missed opportunity!, 26 Jun. 2014
HRH's motive are worthy, and it is difficult to fault many of the charitable works, etc. he is involved with. Poundbury is another matter, of course!, a blot on the town of Dorchester and its environs of epic proportions. However, as a writer, even with the of two of his closest aides, this is a piece of typically woolly British ecological prose. Why is it that some many English language ecologists seem unable to apply logic or structure to their arguments? I am deeply concerned with ecological matters, but I wouldn't be if I relied on this stuff for philosophical grounding and encouragement.

Prince Charles could have saved himself and everyone else a lot of time and effort by reading and reflecting on Martin Heidegger's two seminal essays 'The Question Concerning Technology' and 'The Turn', both of which are available in a number of good inexpensive English translations. It's all there in lest than 60 pages! Thought through at a level unrivalled in depth and richness.

Don't waste valuable reading time, go to the source.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for thought..., 14 Jan. 2011
marcoscu "marcoscu" (Chorley,UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Like a many people I used to think of Prince Charles as being a naive and unworldly tree hugger. In fact in many ways he was a man before his time, a prophet crying in the wilderness and far from being a fool he was talking nothing but common sense. Either that or else I have just got older or perhaps wiser myself.

This is a well written and lavishly illustrated book and will sit well on anybody's shelf, coffee table or reading desk. It is also a very practical book for gardeners, environmentalists and anybody trying to come to terms with the 21st century.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good summary of issues affecting us all., 20 Dec. 2013
I'm not a fan of Royalty but my rating of the Prince of Wales rose measurably in response to this book. It is an intelligent appraisal of where we are at, and far more than a coffee table book, though as beautifully produced as such an item. His analysis, influenced no doubt by the views of his erudite co-writers, spells out the difficulties the world faces. Yet despite our staring ecological disaster in the face, the book puts a positive slant on what can be done to rescue the situation. He's not talking just about the economic and ecological issues facing us all, but about our existence as a species with a spiritual component. In my humble view we're doomed since greed, selfishness and seeking short term gain seem (to me) to be essential characteristics of the human species. Unless these human shortcomings are overcome the positive outcomes he suggests are possible will surely still be overwhelmed until the situation is too late to rectify. But a good read nonetheless. I only wish his perspective was realistic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Harmony rocks, 27 Jan. 2011
A surprising retreat into history reveals the harmony we have experienced with nature, that is until modern times, and this connection becomes important to re-mediating our current unsustainable way of life. A voice that we've been a little bit curious about (here in the United States) emerges as a hardworking and experienced veteran of environmental preservation. Potently honest about his message which is also potently refreshing in a sea of arguments over technological solutions versus more traditional solutions. The message this book delivers offers us the missing link in our thinking and thus our actions. It is inspiring to hear this straight talk as much as it is to tour the world and see the problems (tragedy is a better word) and the solutions that are being developed by individuals and organizations that offer us a great deal of hope.

The book expresses sophisticated ideas in this path to harmony yet remains practical about real world problems and solutions we all must confront and work together with. The authors do a wonderful job of balancing lofty subjects with more personalized commentary. The artwork and photographs add a completeness and offer inspiration. For example, having seen the "Flower of Life" diagram I hope to use this beautiful and quite meaningful design for the nature area signs at a public school.

Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World
Harmony: A New Way of Looking at Our World by H.R.H. Prince of Wales (Audio CD - 14 Oct. 2010)
Used & New from: £28.73